Three Corner Rock via Stebbins Creek

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Three Corner Rock via Stebbins Creek

Post by bobcat » February 4th, 2015, 7:08 pm

Saturday was the first day in a long time that I’ve been able to get out without some kind of time restriction, so I drove up the Washougal River on a bright morning to do this 18-mile in and out hike to Three Corner Rock’s impressive pyramid of basalt.

The river was a ribbon of beauty early in the morning, with the flow much reduced, and thus more picturesque than when at full spate, to reveal clear pools and tumbling falls. I stopped at Dougan Falls and reached for my camera . . . my hand waved around for a bit in the space where I usually lodge it and then I realized that it had chosen to remain safely nestled at home! After spending some moments sentencing myself to a particularly uncomfortable level of purgatory (I had simply forgotten to employ my usual cajoling/threatening tactics in trying to convince the camera to come with me – it won’t voluntarily submit itself to the abuse – and it had furtively stored itself out of sight), it was on with the hike (The Three Corner Rock photo is here supplied as a memento from an earlier trip).
Three Corner Rock, Yacolt Burn.jpg
The trailhead has suffered a little since Lorain’s first edition of Afoot & Afield. A debris and garbage littered stone staircase leads down to the two toilets, now two roofs sitting on concrete platforms. You can walk down to the Washougal River past a campsite and also, opposite the trailhead parking, take a short walk through a grove of alders to see a 20-foot waterfall. The Three Corner Rock trail no longer begins at the trailhead, but 60 yards back down the road because the bridge over the creek here, an old growth log with planks on it, was moved off its buttresses and broken by some winter deluge. Counterintuitively, the trail also begins on the river side of the road, following an old road bed past the broken bridge and then rising up to the road again to cross it and head up a road track (beginning of VanMarmot’s and pablo’s loop) before veering off to the right.

Then it’s a series of switchbacking ups and downs on the north side of the Stebbins Creek valley in secondary and tertiary Douglas-fir forest. At one switchback, there’s a clear view ahead to Three Corner Rock on the skyline. Eventually the trail descends once again past a campsite to Stebbins Creek. There are no vestiges of the bridge that was once here, but it was an easy rock hop at low water levels. Now the trail was a continuous rise in younger forest, with glimpses of clearcuts on the south side of the valley.

I hit a ridgeline and then – total destruction! The DNR is pushing logging roads through in this area and the trail, which comes out between two brand new logging landings has been completely obliterated along the ridge. The roads are surfaced with rough aggregate at present and probably will be graveled, and then the cutting will begin. In their inimitable tradition, neither DNR nor the contractor has bothered to put up signage telling where the trail might resume, so I took a few wrong turns on the new roads before finding the path heading north across a slope and then up to the CG 1440 road.
ThreeCornerRockRoads.png
Then it was numerous switchbacks up the slope, breaking into the vine maple/bear-grass heath-like meadows studded with short snags from the Yacolt Burn. Once at the microwave tower on the plateau, I found myself enveloped in swiftly-moving blankets of cloud and I could get only occasional glimpses south to Mt. Hood. It was cold and windy and, having used up some time reorienting on the logging roads, I decided to forego bagging the Rock and headed back down. Of course, when I looked back from the two viewpoints, the first on one of the new logging roads and the other closer to the beginning of the trail, the Rock stood out starkly against a brilliant blue sky with not a cloud in sight. Anyone who arrived there after about 1:00 would have gotten their five mountain view and a lot less wind.

On the way back, I decided to amuse myself counting switchbacks: 62 – spread over about nine miles. I saw no one else: mountain bikers had used the trail recently and a motorcycle had attempted the trail for a short stretch before digging out a chunk of the tread turning around.

I also encountered six cougars and three bears, the latter groggily lured out of hibernation by the bright sunshine, but without a camera I don’t have the pictures to prove this . . . .

pablo

Re: Three Corner Rock via Stebbins Creek

Post by pablo » February 4th, 2015, 7:51 pm

THx for the report, I've only been there once but 3-Corner Rock is a nice spot and I hope to return. That's a shame about the destruction of the trail - I suppose they'll make it right once they're done - I recall when VanMarmot and I went through there a whole bunch of flagging on the trail in that section - maybe it was related. 62 switchbacks but feels like 200. And I totally believe you about the cougars and bears, no photos necessary.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » February 4th, 2015, 8:03 pm

bobcat wrote: On the way back, I decided to amuse myself counting switchbacks: 62 – spread over about nine miles. I saw no one else: mountain bikers had used the trail recently and a motorcycle had attempted the trail for a short stretch before digging out a chunk of the tread turning around.

I also encountered six cougars and three bears, the latter groggily lured out of hibernation by the bright sunshine, but without a camera I don’t have the pictures to prove this . . . .
That's a crazy amount of switchbacks! Bummer about the camera. I assume you tied the cougars together so they could pull you back to the trailhead? :lol:

~Dan

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » February 5th, 2015, 6:55 am

Bobcat spears killer fish and manhandles polar bears into carrying him back to the TH. I see a Discovery Channel special on the horizon, we just need to get BC like three more wives, 234 kids(and counting!) plus some moonshine and get him addicted to eating obscure metal things(maybe the old PH buttons :D and no doubt the so called "Learning Channel" will come a callin :D

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » February 5th, 2015, 7:41 am

Sasquatch seems to seek out hikers like Bobcat, too... surprised he didn't see one... or maybe he did!?

Embarrassing admission: I keep a little punch list of essential items posted at home, having left various items behind in the past (boots, water, phone) that made for uxnhappy trailhead revelations..! :roll:

Tom :)

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » February 5th, 2015, 5:13 pm

I remember seeing that flagging along the trail and suspected that logging was imminent. Too bad. Sigh. Hopefully ( :roll: ) DNR has some kind of restoration plan for that part of the trail? I also remember having the creepy sensation that Pablo & I were being stalked by a cougar as we hurried back to the TH down all those switchbacks in the fading light. Cue the thermion music...

Charley

Post by Charley » February 6th, 2015, 7:47 am

Well, at least one doesn't have to pay to access the DNR's industrial forest farms. Oh wait. . . DISCOVER FAIL.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.