Frozen Wilderness: Chinidere Mtn/Hicks Lake Loop: 12-5-14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sean Thomas

Frozen Wilderness: Chinidere Mtn/Hicks Lake Loop: 12-5-14

Post by Sean Thomas » December 7th, 2014, 10:54 pm

I witnessed one of the most amazing displays of weather I've ever seen last Friday as I hiked and ran another classic loop in the Columbia River Gorge. Standing atop the open summit of Chinidere Mountain as the clouds danced with the neighboring ridgelines inspired a feeling that's hard to describe. Despite my young age, I have spent much of the past 7 years of my life enjoying moments like this and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I cant help but to look forward to following in the footsteps of so many of the incredible members of this community and hope to live half the life many of you already have. Not to get too schlubby or anything :D but a big hearty thank you to everyone here who has helped motivate myself and others to not only be a better outdoorsman, but a better person too. Moving onto the TR where I started the hike at an empty Herman Creek TH around 7:30 am. The previous days rain had put a pretty good rut in the trail on the section up to the Gorton/400 junction:

Anything from roughly the 1,000 ft. mark up to 3k was covered in a coating of ice thanks to some recent freezing rain. Throw in some wind and there were quite a few trees down across the various trails throughout the day. I probably tossed 12-15 good sized logs off the Herman Creek Trail and PCT combined to get a little head start on next years storm cleanup. Most of them in the "freeze layer"

Some of the older burnt out snags just couldn't hold on for another season:

Lots of smaller stuff too:

Hiking through a frozen Hatfield Wilderness was pretty spectacular as I worked my way into the old growth near the swamp. Just about everything was layered in ice:

As pointed out in drm's TR over at Wyeth, there were tons of vine maples being weighed down over the trail. At first it wasn't a big deal but they became more and more tiresome to deal with as the day wore on. Toss a log here, crawl under a frozen maple there, maybe Peabody's right and I've gone feral :lol: Either way, its pretty impressive how much weight the various trees and shrubs can handle in terms of snow and ice accumulation. Even this lichen was frozen in time:

The creeks were too risky to rock hop so I splashed through Mullinix, Whiskey and the east fork doing a little frozen foot dance after every crossing. Whiskey Creek was its usual photogenic self:

The cedars at the swamp were dressed for winter too:

About a mile or two into the hike and I had reached the 2,000 mile mark for the year. It felt really good to look around the swamp, one of my favorite places on earth, and think back to a years worth of good times in the outdoors. Looking over some of my past log books and I've had the fortune of hiking every weekend for over 150 weekends in a row :shock: Either I need to get a life, or I've already got a pretty good one :lol:

Leaving the swamp and it looked like a meetup group had just lunched at the swamp. Or one idiot :lol:

The ice formations were a big highlight of the trip:

Even the area above the Mud Lake junction and high areas past the Tomlike spur must have been hit with the freezing rain too. There was a nice layer of ice over the few inches of snow above 4,000 feet and it actually made for much better traction than expected. Where anything was at all slushy it was much slipperier:

The spur up to Chinidere was a tale of two paths, one of bare ground with the other boasting drifts of snow up to 2 1/2 feet deep. It seemed the wind had thrown a field day when things were still light and fluffy:

I wasn't expecting to see much from the top of Chinidere but a visit to one of the last great Wascos seemed like a good idea whether the views materialized or not. I was blown away(literally and figuratively) when I hit the top by the incredible cloud show that was taking place around me. A good life lesson in the importance of positivity and a few minutes on the wind swept summit inspired the best part of my day. Indian Mountain stole the show as the clouds rolled along Waucoma Ridge:

The north ridge of Indian Mountain:

The base of Mt Hood briefly appeared several times while I was up there only to disappear soon after:

Tanner Butte across the valley and a zoom on Tanner Ridge:

Summit Pano of a frozen wilderness:

The pits were looking a little chilly:

Next on the list was the hike over to the Benson Plateau with a side trip down to Hicks Lake below Chinidere Mountain. Hicks Lake is like the Mud Lake of the west fork, a nice little lake nestled high in the drainage but differs in that there is no trail to its shore despite its close proximity to the Pacific Crest Trail. A little of the OT down to the lake:

Here is what the lake looked like at the end of summer 2013:

On Friday it was partially frozen but just as beautiful:

There is an old fire ring near the northwest shore of the lake:

Back on the PCT heading north toward the plateau and I noticed this shelter just a hundred yards or so off the trail:

There were some nice views on the exposed section where the trail traversed over to the eastern side of the ridge:

Chinidere and Hood:

Pano of Tomlike and the west fork with some of the conditions on the PCT:

Made my first snowman of the season on the Benson Plateau :) Its always a surreal feeling to walk the plateau when its covered in a light layer of snow:

Bombing off toward Teakettle Spring and I reached the viewpoint with some light to spare:

A few more logs down on the PCT as I entered the freezer again. What a trip to go in and out of the freeze:

Slipping, sliding and bursting through ice covered maples and I reached the Herman Bridge Trail before having to get out the lamp. By the time I crossed Herman Creek things were totally dark but I still had to make a search for that old PCT marker near the powerlines payslee had posted about a while back:

It was truly a wonder to experience the wilderness in such a state last Friday. It really doesn't get better than mile after mile of scenic trail just a short drives from ones house. How lucky can we be to live here? :) Speaking of being lucky to live in the PNW, here is a little bonus TR of a hike Jojo and I took along the abandoned Port of Tillamook Bay Railroad the next morning on Saturday the 6th. We started at Cochran and hiked about 4 or 5 miles down the tracks with a great lunch spot on Wolf Creek just past the trestle bridge:

Selfies at the tunnel:

And a couple more of us hiking the respective trestles, Big Baldwin and Wolf Creek to close out the TR:

Zia

Re: Frozen Wilderness: Chinidere Mtn/Hicks Lake Loop: 12-5-1

Post by Zia » December 8th, 2014, 5:42 am

You have managed to hike every weekend for 150 weekends? That's really awesome! Definitely was a crazy weather day up there. The unique weather is one of my favorite things about the PacNW! :D

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 8th, 2014, 6:10 am

Sean Thomas wrote:About a mile or two into the hike and I had reached the 2,000 mile mark for the year. It felt really good to look around the swamp, one of my favorite places on earth, and think back to a years worth of good times in the outdoors. Looking over some of my past log books and I've had the fortune of hiking every weekend for over 150 weekends in a row :shock: Either I need to get a life, or I've already got a pretty good one :lol:
What a perfect place to hit a milestone like that! A real favorites of mine, too.

My vote would be on "charmed life!" Very well done. :D
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 8th, 2014, 7:17 am

I'm close to 500 miles for the year :)

I agree, gorge views from higher up are really nice in "bad" weather. Nice pics.

jdemott

Post by jdemott » December 8th, 2014, 8:24 am

Great TR! Many thanks for all the time and effort you spend in order to share so many of your wonderful experiences on the trail. You express the feelings that all of us have about the joys of hiking and the inspiration we find in the wilderness. Congrats on a big milestone--2000 miles is an awesome accomplishment!

The shots of the clouds from Chinidere are amazing--the wind must have been really fierce!

Peder

Post by Peder » December 8th, 2014, 8:42 am

Sean Thomas wrote:About a mile or two into the hike and I had reached the 2,000 mile mark for the year. It felt really good to look around the swamp, one of my favorite places on earth, and think back to a years worth of good times in the outdoors. Looking over some of my past log books and I've had the fortune of hiking every weekend for over 150 weekends in a row :shock: Either I need to get a life, or I've already got a pretty good one :lol:
Very impressive - remember to take care of your better half. She is just too kind to out-hike you!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

obera

Post by obera » December 8th, 2014, 9:32 am

Love the pictures and the TR! And the accompanying inspiration to get myself up there too. ;) Congrats on the 2,000 mile mark, what an accomplishment.

I saw your snowman on Sunday! It had been quite warm since your time together and he had 'lost some weight' - but he was definitely still there!
oh-beer-ah

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » December 8th, 2014, 9:39 am

Wonderful mileage milestone to hit in such a great place!! Thanks for an inspirational report and great pics!

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

CraigG

Post by CraigG » December 8th, 2014, 9:57 am

Well done Sean! That view on Chinidere is amazing! We hit that last month on our way to Indian Mtn and got a bit of a view, just for a moment. Thanks for sharing!

miah66

Post by miah66 » December 8th, 2014, 12:21 pm

On Saturday morning it was just plain nasty out there on our Wauna Point attempt. It was ok on Tanner Road until we got to the Tanner TH:

Most things above the trailhead were frozen and maples were leaning down and covering the trail, forcing you to crouch & crawl:

We were soaked & frozen pretty quickly, so we bailed out at the first powerline road Right-of-way we came to and took it back to Road 777 and did some lower elevation stuff.

One nice thing was the amount of water flowing in the falls. Wahclella was roaring. Alot of icefall from cliffs and side canyons, though. Watch your noggin!

"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider