Ramona Falls Hike (with a road side bear sighting)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Lekilei253

Ramona Falls Hike (with a road side bear sighting)

Post by Lekilei253 » June 9th, 2014, 10:17 pm

Today I decided to explore a trail close to Hood, Ramona Falls. This is only the second trail I have done in Mt Hood National Forrest, I love the gorge, but Hood is pretty amazing too!

I got a late start, but there were about 10 cars at the trailhead when I arrived at 3pm. The drive in was much longer than I expected, but not too bad. Someone had the horrible job of highlighting all the dips and divots in the road with spray paint. I would hate to have to do that, but it helped me avoid several!!!

The trail is in good condition and the seasonal bridge is in, so it was easy going.

Any one lose an arrow?
Tons of rhodies

I don't know how recent this is, but there are signs about trails being closed to stock and big corrals at each end of the Ramona Falls loop to only let hikers through. Interesting!

I spotted a rainbow in the falls once I got there. It was beautiful!! Photos really don't do it justice!

Made it back to my car and there were still a few cars left in the lot. I decided to explore a bit more and followed the signs to Lost Creek. It's a nice camping area. And it has several picnic sites and a cute little 1/2 mile trail with many interpretative signs and a couple bridges. It was a nice little stroll after Ramona Falls. Also, they have the cleanest pit toilet I have ever seen!!
Lost Creek

Heading back down was much faster than the drive up!! I came around a corner and on the side of the road was a bear!!! I stopped and it quickly took off into the tree. I snapped a few pictures, but couldn't get a clear shot of it. Still, very exciting!!!

Double Tree

Re: Ramona Falls Hike (with a road side bear sighting)

Post by Double Tree » June 10th, 2014, 1:09 am

Very cool bear sighting. Thanks for the trip report.
Kelly

UTurn

Post by UTurn » June 10th, 2014, 4:04 am

I've been watching for a trip report from Ramona Falls. Thanks! I see the bridge is in, so that's good.

Bear.........kind of a fear I have so I'm hoping not to run into that when we're there in a couple weeks.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 10th, 2014, 5:20 am

bear saying to his friends "humans.....kind of a fear I have..."

friend saying back "don't worry, they're just as afraid of us" :)

Guy

Post by Guy » June 10th, 2014, 5:45 am

Bear, are you sure? Looks a bit like Sasquatch to me in this pic ;)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

raftingdog

Post by raftingdog » June 10th, 2014, 6:53 am

Ramona Falls has recently been enhanced with discrete use of LED lights....bears are stocking many PortlandHikers.org outings they enjoy photo bombing and are all about social media

Lilredexpress

Post by Lilredexpress » June 10th, 2014, 7:43 am

Nice report, I'm looking for a backpack trip for this weekend somewhere this might be one to try. Great job capturing the
bear, I have not been fast enough yet to get one on film, I am going to hang my camera from my neck if I have to in the future. And I agree with Jerry they are scared of us to, and I find the more I hike and camp outdoors the less I worry about it. My solution for me " HIKE MORE WORK LESS" :D

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 10th, 2014, 7:56 am

My solution - go for camera and try to get good shot of bear :)

If you camp at Ramona Falls, nice place to camp is off the main loop. Take PCT Southbound towards Sandy River, maybe 1/2 mile.

The hoardes of people mainly stay on main loop.

Lekilei253

Post by Lekilei253 » June 10th, 2014, 10:11 am

That bear was quick! Almost as soon as I saw it and stopped he took off. He did stop and look back at me several times before totally disappearing.
Guy wrote: Bear, are you sure? Looks a bit like Sasquatch to me in this pic ;)
:lol:

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » June 10th, 2014, 10:22 am

Nice TR. Ramona Falls is beautiful.

I've seen bear a number of times. The odds are overwhelmingly high that a black bear is going to skedaddle as soon as it sees you. I think of seeing a bear as being fortunate, not something to fear.