Threemile Lake-Tahkenitch Dunes Loop/ Enchanted Valley 4/29

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

Threemile Lake-Tahkenitch Dunes Loop/ Enchanted Valley 4/29

Post by pdxgene » April 29th, 2014, 8:08 pm

Eric and I took off this morning for just south of Florence and my favorite trail on the coast, the loop with the Threemile Lake and Tahkenitch Dunes Trails. This trail has a bit of everything. You start in a dark second growth forest filled with 15-20' tall rhododendrons in full bloom. From there on to a narrow hidden lake whose only access is down a steep 50-60' sand dune. From there thru the deflation plain, foredune and finally the beach. You go a mile north on the beach and then reverse the pattern subtracting the lake but adding much bigger dunes and finish up coming back thru the rhody filled forest. On the way back we stopped just north of Florence at the Enchanted Valley Trail, known for lotsa bears and elk. But not at 230 in the afternoon. :cry: Finished up with dinner in Lincoln City. And here's what it looked like..

It'll be a couple months 'til we see this in the Cascades but they're in their full glory on the coast right now..

Elbow Lake, far down below the trail..

The bright April sun thru the tall trees on the way to Threemile Lake..

The Pacific Ocean comes into full view and tells you you're starting to approach Threemile Lake..

First look at Threemile Lake..

And there's only one way down..

Unfortunately that route will be the return trip too, but up instead..

Our view from our lunch spot in the trees where we had to seek out some shade for about the 1st time this year..

The shallow end of Threemile Lake

Finally made it back up :) ..

A last look down at Threemile Lake

On thru the dunes, outward leg..

Nearing the beach. The wildflowers would be spectacular if they weren't scotch broom :roll:

Flowers in the foredunes..

It was such a great day, the fish were just jumping out of the ocean to enjoy it :lol:

Or maybe they were trying to get out of some really muddy looking ocean water..

Beach wildlife -- red variety..

Tahkenitch Creek where it enters the Pacific Ocean..

Some cool clouds over Tahkenitch Creek..

The dunes, the pine forest and the Pacific Ocean..

Looking up the Tahkenitch Dunes..

A sand lupine..

Last look back leaving the Tahkenitch Dunes..

One more look at the rhody display..

A frog resting in Bailey Creek at Enchanted Valley

A look up Enchanted Valley..

One of the many bunches of tiny woodland wildflowers along the Enchanted Valley Trail..

Part of the grassy trail (easy on the feet after the dunes :) ) up Enchanted Valley..

A couple last looks at the greenery of Enchanted Valley..

Finishing up with great fish&chips from J's in Lincoln City :D A great end to a great day!

Album here http://picasaweb.google.com/pdxgene/Thr ... egonDunes4

Richard

Re: Threemile Lake-Tahkenitch Dunes Loop/ Enchanted Valley 4

Post by Richard » April 30th, 2014, 7:25 am

Thanks for the report and the phenomenal photography, Gene. My sisters will be here in early August, including a visit to the Oregon Dunes. Your photos will have them revved up!

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » April 30th, 2014, 11:03 am

Thanx Richard! I'd give this hike a big recommendation as one they might really like. The tallest of the dunes are on the Umpqua Dunes/Dellenback Trail but that's even further south (11 miles south of Reedsport) and it's already a marathon drive. But one of these days I'll get to that one.

CoastHiker

Post by CoastHiker » May 1st, 2014, 10:40 am

We live here in Florence and that Tahkenitch hike is one of our favorites too! This is the first year I've done the Enchanted Valley hike much, but the end of the meadows where the creek becomes a little more mountainous in character is a great destination with kids. Really good photos of both hikes.