Thunderstormy Burnt Lake / Lost Creek Falls 8/22

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

Thunderstormy Burnt Lake / Lost Creek Falls 8/22

Post by pdxgene » August 22nd, 2013, 3:35 pm

Well, so much for that 20% chance of t-storms theory. We got 20%ed on pretty good on a stormy day up at Burnt Lake today. There was some very loud, long rumbles of thunder but we never saw any lightning. And it poured. And then it stopped and became perfectly calm. Photo descriptions here http://picasaweb.google.com/pdxgene/BurntLake77 And the usual crowds on Mt Hood, we saw just a couple other groups on the trail, the first as we got ready to leave the lake and the other early on their start up and one last person just a few minutes away from the trailhead. The lake was ours the entire time we were there.
And on the way down I finally got the chance to get the picture I've wanted to take for a few years but always had the wrong conditons or someone with me that didn't want to climb down with me so they could take it so I'll jump out of order and lead with that.. Enjoy..

Rustygoat

Re: Thunderstormy Burnt Lake / Lost Creek Falls 8/22

Post by Rustygoat » August 22nd, 2013, 5:18 pm

Great pictures Gene! Thanks for reminding me about that waterfall, I'm running out of close hikes with waterfalls that I can do after work. ;) I might even venture up to the lake if I have time. Thanks for giving the perspective on it also...my kind of way to cool off some tired feet.
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » August 22nd, 2013, 6:26 pm

Don't slip :) there is one more level of falls pretty close :o
It doesn't look too hard to get down to that last one but getting back up might actually be easier by staying on that opposite side and climbing out over there. It also doesn't look like there's much of a good photo angle to get them lined up nicely for the effort it would take to get down there and do it.
It's only another 20 minutes or so from the falls up to the lake.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » August 22nd, 2013, 7:38 pm

Thanks, Gene! Damp days can be some of the best up there, especially for all those colors in your waterfall pics!
And on the way down I finally got the chance to get the picture I've wanted to take for a few years but always had the wrong conditons or someone with me that didn't want to climb down with me so they could take it so I'll jump out of order and lead with that.. Enjoy..
Okay, so THAT had never occurred to me... though I've only been to Burn Lake when the water was running very high, so... yeah, I can see wading around in there, I guess... :lol:

-Tom :)

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » August 22nd, 2013, 7:52 pm

Yeah, I didn't quite get around to it back in May..

:lol:

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » August 22nd, 2013, 8:33 pm

I dunno, Gene... chip the sheet of ice off that log and it might work as something to hang onto... after your legs freeze solid and snap off at the ankle...

Tom :lol: