Home  •   Field Guide  •   Forums  •   Unread Posts  •   Maps  •   Find a Hike!  •    Register  •   Search  •  
Jump to:  
Login  | 

Board index » Trips » Trip Reports

Post subject: Re: Mt. Whittier and lakes basin - 8/3/13
 Post Posted: August 5th, 2013, 5:17 am 

So glad to see you got "above it all!" I looked at the VolcanoCam a couple times Saturday, and wasn't sure you would. (It was pretty socked in below 4000'!) This loop deserves a spot on my to-do list. Looks like you had a great day!

(Tracks · Photos · PortlandHikers)

Post Posted: August 5th, 2013, 7:53 am 

Great report & photos guys! Love the idea that there is now an unopened bottle up their waiting to be found!

That should increase trail traffic a bit. maybe this would be the answer to increase traffic on trails that are disappearing for lack of use, pepper them with Alcohol ;) ..

Post Posted: August 5th, 2013, 8:01 am 

pablo wrote:
How does what you did fit into the scramble class rating system?

All the climbing around was just goofing off for fun - none of that is actually part of the hike itself. I thought about going up those gendarmes the last time I was out there, and the rock turned out to be really solid. (Ben teased me about how hard up for good rock I was since I kept gushing about behing on granite.) It's probably 3rd/4th class, but high up the fall would be bad.

There were a couple of spots on the Whittier ridge (eg, just north of the gendarmes) where you use to have to scramble a little, but it appears all of those spots have been rerouted into switchbacks with rock steps. (Whether or not this is an improvement depends on your idea of fun.) It's really a great ridge.

Post Posted: August 5th, 2013, 8:36 am 

Bosterson wrote:
... all of those spots have been rerouted into switchbacks with rock steps.

My impression is that the rock steps date back to when there was a complete trail; I do not think that any of them are new. There were just as many rock steps the first time I did the trail.

Board index » Trips » Trip Reports