Elevator Shaft to the Buick

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Eric Peterson

Re: Elevator Shaft to the Buick

Post by Eric Peterson » November 11th, 2013, 7:11 am

Peabody wrote:Using Metsker maps from 1927 & 1944 found on historicmapworks.com I added the property boundaries for the Arrington properties on Multnomah Basin in Caltopo.com.

Link to Caltopo map

Doing some mapset work and noticed NW Topo's had 3 out of the 4 plots included as Multnomah
Cty property -
Capture.JPG
'Course it's not as pretty or identified as accurately as your work...

Peabody

Post by Peabody » December 15th, 2013, 7:38 am

I've updated the Caltopo map with info from the 1954 topo showing the location of a road and two buildings. Note the white area at the east end of the road showing a cleared area.
Capture1.JPG
Caltopo map
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

Guy

Post by Guy » December 18th, 2013, 5:40 pm

Many thanks for updating this info & making this map Mr. Peabody!
Last edited by Guy on December 18th, 2013, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Peabody

Post by Peabody » December 18th, 2013, 7:58 pm

Man.....talk about hijacking a thread....sorry Chase.

I found a high res. 1953 aerial view of the Multnomah Basin on USGS EarthExplorer. You can clearly see the roads / trails / clearings. Below is a low res copy showing some of the features and what I believe to be a house.

The high res. image is 73 meg so use these directions to download the high res. image.

1) go to http://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/
2) create login (You'must be logged in to download)
3) Define search area: use a log lat within the basin
4) Define the data set: Aerial Photo Single Frames
5) Click the results button (not the results tab)
6) look for ARA001000060680
7) Select the Download Options icon
8) follow prompts to download.
1952 aerial.JPG

edit: Notice how the clearing on the 1954 topo and the clearing on the aerial image match.
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

zarrington

Post by zarrington » January 4th, 2014, 1:06 pm

Hi, new here. Mabel lived in a small hidden structure that was next to a couple of large trees, and covered with limbs. The property was privately owned at that point. She kept the limbs on the structure to keep it well hidden. She stayed to herself and hid from just about everyone, except for her brother and his wife. She was severely scarred on the left side of her face and even around her eye. She wore a black woolen coat that had a big hood on it. She kept the hood pulled forward to cover the scarred part of her face. She was very articulate and had been well educated. She died in her cabin in February, 1960. My father burned her "tree" cabin down and loaded up the "storage" cabin and took it home.

Peder

Post by Peder » January 4th, 2014, 5:34 pm

Welcome Zarrington! That is very intereting, thanks for sharing.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 4th, 2014, 5:44 pm

Amazing story, begs for more

Her brother must be your father?

How did she eat and so forth? Did she grow her own food, eat game? Did her brother and wife bring her supplies? She owned the propety?

Too bad that appearance would force someone to live like that.

airoff

Post by airoff » January 4th, 2014, 5:59 pm

zarrington wrote:Hi, new here. Mabel lived in a small hidden structure that was next to a couple of large trees, and covered with limbs. The property was privately owned at that point. She kept the limbs on the structure to keep it well hidden. She stayed to herself and hid from just about everyone, except for her brother and his wife. She was severely scarred on the left side of her face and even around her eye. She wore a black woolen coat that had a big hood on it. She kept the hood pulled forward to cover the scarred part of her face. She was very articulate and had been well educated. She died in her cabin in February, 1960. My father burned her "tree" cabin down and loaded up the "storage" cabin and took it home.
This thread is about to get really long. :D

Those structures on the '54 Bridal Veil topo were certainly there and there are artifacts in their place. But anyone who has ever walked on the use path around the Basin has passed right by both of them. You may have seen the broken glass panes resting against the log, for example. I can't imagine either being that described by zarrington.

Please fill us in with anything you can think of, this is amazing information!

payslee

Post by payslee » January 4th, 2014, 7:58 pm

Yes, welcome Z! The Arringtons and Multnomah Basin go together like apple pie and ice cream :) Be prepared for lots of eager requests for back-in-the day stories, photos, and what have you.

Thanks for chiming in!
-payslee

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 4th, 2014, 8:36 pm

Hi Zarrington,

Thank you so much for this first-hand information and welcome to the site! Any and all information you have on the history and stories of the area are most welcome and I'm sure will be enthusiastically followed by all.

Don Nelsen
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller