Elevator Shaft to the Buick

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chase

Elevator Shaft to the Buick

Post by Chase » July 17th, 2013, 8:32 pm

Not much to report, really. Just had a nice day out yesterday exploring the basin above the shaft. Looked for the "vertical cabin" and could not find a trace of it. Then I looked for the old Buick and found that one without much difficulty.

Billri9685

Re: Elevator Shaft to the Buick

Post by Billri9685 » July 17th, 2013, 9:19 pm

Nice! I always love finding stuff like that in the woods.

200,000'

Post by 200,000' » July 18th, 2013, 9:11 am

Good pics!
Last edited by 200,000' on July 18th, 2013, 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 18th, 2013, 5:51 pm

A few notes about the Buick for those new to the site or this subject:

In the 1890's homesteaders settled in the Multnomah basin, built homes, cleared it and farmed and raised a few farm animals. Some of the family names were Gordon, Petersen, Pau and Teuscher. Edward Arrington was one of the last to build a home in the Basin. Pau built a road connecting the RR grades to connect the families to the rest of the world. That road is the still used Multnomah Basin Road. The last of the settlers moved on by the late 20's or 30's and the very last resident, the reclusive Mabel Arrington, died of natural causes and her body was found along a trail in the basin. (Her ghost can be seen about dusk while you hike in to find the Buick - especially if it's a bit foggy) Anyway, I digress!

The basin road was still able to be used by the general public for some time after that and there was some limited second growth logging and firewood gathering I have been told. This rest is from a word of mouth story told to me by a man I met about 8 or 9 years ago while I was off-trail hiking higher up on Larch Mountain. We were both exploring an ancient logging skid road and there are few folks who do that so we struck up a conversation and the talk drifted to the subject of the basin: He asked if I had spotted any of the old cars still up there though he said he wasn't sure if they were still there. I admitted I had not but my interest was surely piqued. I got his contact info and we parted but over the next few weekends I criss-crossed the basin looking for any and everything: I found the Buick!. I contacted the man I met and we both went in there to see it and then he told me his story:

Cars with straight eight engines like Buick's had made pretty good power plants for portable sawmill devices somewhat common at the time and that is probably what the Buick was used for. Once the work was done, it was abandoned to the elements and there it remains to this day.

He said he had seen the car back in about 1970 while in high school on a hike with a group and decided the engine would be a good trophy for the automotive classes he was taking. He said he hiked over to Nesika, "requisitioned" their firewood cart, removed the engine and attempted to haul it out on the cart. Bad idea: Terrain was too rough, engine too heavy and so he removed the cylinder head, covered up the rest with brush and planned to go back later and get the rest. He could never relocate it and that was that. Of course, hearing about the rest of the engine still sitting on a firewood cart I was back in there asap: Found it - 500 feet away and appearing untouched since he left it over 35 years before. Here it is:

Here's the firewood cart next to the engine:

Just thought you would be interested. :)

Don
Last edited by Don Nelsen on October 25th, 2015, 2:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

aircooled

Post by aircooled » July 18th, 2013, 9:21 pm

I tracked down the VIN once - I believe it's a 1931 Buick.

200,000'

Post by 200,000' » July 18th, 2013, 9:50 pm

Don, that is an Amazing story!

Peder

Post by Peder » July 18th, 2013, 10:52 pm

Thanks for the complete story Don and thank you Chase for the TR!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 19th, 2013, 6:38 am

aircooled wrote:I tracked down the VIN once - I believe it's a 1931 Buick.
Yep, you are correct - where did you find a VIN database? I couldn't locate one and had to use the combination of sheet metal patterns, hubcap shape and the pin striping on the one remaining wooden spoke wheel to verify the year and model.

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Roy

Post by Roy » July 20th, 2013, 6:54 am

Don Nelsen wrote:
aircooled wrote:I tracked down the VIN once - I believe it's a 1931 Buick.
Yep, you are correct - where did you find a VIN database? I couldn't locate one and had to use the combination of sheet metal patterns, hubcap shape and the pin striping on the one remaining wooden spoke wheel to verify the year and model.

Don
Don great info you remind me of my uncle in Iowa with your love of the gorge.He was the same way with the Little Sioux valley when I visited he always took me and told me the history of how the Sioux wintered there in the valleys of the small hills. He always made my cousins and I give arrowheads and stuff we found to the museum. My Mom,Dad and and him bought up land in those hills and it is now a park and preserve.My parents are buried in small town close by next to him.

We need people to keep interest in these things or its gone for good.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Guy

Post by Guy » July 20th, 2013, 7:21 am

Thanks Chase & Don for the background, I hadn't heard about the firewood cart!

Now Chase, what is the "Vertical Cabin"?
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors