Herman Creek/Tomlike Mt./Chinidere Mt./PCT Loop

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
MarkQ

Herman Creek/Tomlike Mt./Chinidere Mt./PCT Loop

Post by MarkQ » May 16th, 2013, 12:59 am

This hike ended up being more than I expected/wanted but what the hay, I did it anyway. I hiked from dawn to dusk and did 27 miles. I started from the Herman Creek Campground and set off with the intention of hiking the Herman Creek trail to Tomlike Mt. After passing the Nick Eaton Ridge trail junction I came across these animal bones on the trail.
20130515_074809 (Large).jpg
Not sure what it is.
While passing through the Cedar Swamp area I came across this huge tree across the trail. Luckily there was a stump next to it that I could walk up like a ladder to get over this.
20130515_102155 (Large).jpg
Just before the trail junction to head up Tomlike Mt. the snow showed up.
20130515_111927 (Large).jpg
This definitely slows your progress.
20130515_115851 (Large).jpg
A little help from my GPS and my destination was in sight!
20130515_122808 (Large).jpg
It's a lot steeper in person than the way it appears in pictures.
Here's a view looking back from the top.
20130515_131540 (Large).jpg
It was interesting to sit and watch the clouds blow by at eye level. Sometimes one would form up right in front of me.
I debated whether to head over to Chinidere Mt. There seemed to be enough time so I hiked back down into the snow covered forest and headed in the direction of Chinidere.
20130515_141316 (Large).jpg
I had to spend extra time wandering around route finding with my GPS. Eventually I made it to the top of Chinidere Mt. Sadly the weather had completely socked in any views up here.
20130515_150518 (Large).jpg
So I went back down and took the Pacific Crest Trail back in the direction of Herman Creek to make a big loop out of it.
20130515_160219 (Large).jpg
Some areas had a lot of blow down next to the trail.
20130515_153612 (Large).jpg
Looking over to my right I could see the Nick Eaton Ridge. A hole in the clouds let the sun shine down like a spotlight on the top.
20130515_160856 (Large).jpg
Soon I reached the Benson Plateau. This place is kinda creepy, more so when the clouds roll in.
20130515_174100 (Large).jpg
Here's and interesting shelter that someone built.
20130515_162653 (Large).jpg
Coming down the switchbacks into Herman Creek I came across this view of Cascade Locks in the setting sun.
20130515_192827 (Large).jpg
Almost back to my car. Just have to cross Herman Creek bridge.
20130515_200951 (Large).jpg
It was nearly dark when I got back. Any later and I would have to don my headlamp to see. Quite a long day. It's amazing the changes in scenery as I moved from place to place along the trail. Even the weather can drastically change the mood of a hike which it did today. Sometimes sunny, or cloudy and drizzling, or breezy and cold, or fogged in, or completely silent except for the crunching of snow under your feet.

airoff

Re: Herman Creek/Tomlike Mt./Chinidere Mt./PCT Loop

Post by airoff » May 16th, 2013, 6:08 am

Boom! Nice job, great TR, and awesome photos!

drm

Post by drm » May 16th, 2013, 6:25 am

I have yet to figure out why people think that the Benson Plateau is creepy. I have heard it many, many times, so clearly there is something about it - for some people. But I don't feel it at all, and it is a mystery to me. All forests can seem a bit mysterious in fog, and that is hardly rare in these parts. But it is for Benson that the word "creepy" seems to be reserved. Any ideas anybody?

Otherwise, fantastic loop, enjoyed the report.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 16th, 2013, 8:20 am

Wow! Great loop! And report! Thanks...
drm wrote:But it is for Benson that the word "creepy" seems to be reserved. Any ideas anybody?
Larch too.

Maybe the flat, dark, horizon-less forest is evocative of settings in childhood horror stories, like Little Red Riding Hood or Hansel and Gretel?
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Oldman Withers

Post by Oldman Withers » May 16th, 2013, 9:33 am

Ahhh, so that was you up there yesterday. We had started from where you did but went up Green Point Mountain, then to Tomlike, then over to Chinidere and down Benson. You were the only other person we saw all day up there. I agree with you about Benson in the fog, it does have a mysterious feel to it and so does Larch. It must just be the quiet flat parts that seem to have that feeling to it, almost as though someone is watching you. Happy to hear you had a great day too.

Best regards, Scott
Attachments
DSC00145-5.jpg
Here's a photo of you up on the top of Chinidere Mtn.

MarkQ

Post by MarkQ » May 16th, 2013, 6:37 pm

Yep, that was me! I didn't know somebody was taking my picture.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » May 16th, 2013, 7:07 pm

Great TR MarkQ!

And a very impressive loop. Thanks for sharing your trip. I'd like to duplicate it someday, in decent weather.

kepPNW wrote:
drm wrote:But it is for Benson that the word "creepy" seems to be reserved. Any ideas anybody?
Larch too.
Maybe the flat, dark, horizon-less forest is evocative of settings in childhood horror stories, like Little Red Riding Hood or Hansel and Gretel?

Looks like the backdrop for one of those Breaking Wind Breaking Dawn movies. I expect the werewolves 'n' vampires to pop out any second.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

texasbb

Post by texasbb » May 16th, 2013, 7:37 pm

drm wrote:I have yet to figure out why people think that the Benson Plateau is creepy. I have heard it many, many times, so clearly there is something about it - for some people. But I don't feel it at all, and it is a mystery to me. All forests can seem a bit mysterious in fog, and that is hardly rare in these parts. But it is for Benson that the word "creepy" seems to be reserved. Any ideas anybody?
I'm one of those people! I always describe it as either creepily beautiful or beautifully creepy. I absolutely love the place, but it has a feel to it that's different from most open forests. Maybe I've watched too many movies, but there's an electric but quiet anticipation in the air, a lonely presence, or some other paradox or enigma. That may be overstating it, but I always seem to get a mild adrenaline hit as I walk in.

MarkQ

Post by MarkQ » May 16th, 2013, 7:47 pm

It was definitely darker and more foggy than that picture appears. It got even thicker the further North I went. It gave me the feeling like I just wanted to get out of there. Maybe it's the density of the trees and not being able to see very far ahead of you.

mayhem

Post by mayhem » May 16th, 2013, 9:05 pm

airoff wrote:Boom! Nice job, great TR, and awesome photos!
Ill add a little Bammm! to the Boom!

Yes fantastic all day affair, just in time before the curtains closed!
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!