Upper Horsetail Creek and Oneonta Creek

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Badknee

Upper Horsetail Creek and Oneonta Creek

Post by Badknee » October 23rd, 2012, 7:26 pm

Not a bad day. Got more wet scrambling over rocks and logs than any rain. Spent my morning in Horsetail above Ponytail Falls. Couldn't get too far up the creek before I had to start climbing over downed trees or hike up the banks to move up the creek. Spent my afternoon in Oneonta Creek above Triple Falls. Much easier going. On the hike up I was looking down the slopes imagining what is above Upper Oneonta Falls. Has anyone made any trips above Upper Oneonta before Triple Falls? Same question for Horsetail above Ponytail Falls. I couldn't get too far but maybe a trip down the creek from above is the way.
Horstail Creek 1.JPG
Horsetail Creek 2.JPG
Horsetail Creek 3.JPG
Oneonta Creek 1.JPG
Oneonta Creek 2.JPG
Oneonta Creek 3.JPG
Ponytail Falls .JPG
Go! Just Go right now! Go!

Peder

Re: Upper Horsetail Creek and Oneonta Creek

Post by Peder » October 23rd, 2012, 8:58 pm

Badknee - The Ross Jolley trail goes up through the basin above Ponytail Falls; did you not encounter that? If not, I assume you started from the Rock of Ages side, went down to the moss platform above the Ponytail Falls and followed the creek up from there. (Note to self: That could be fun!). Regarding the stretch between Upper Oneonta Falls and Triple Falls, I have no clue...
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Badknee

Post by Badknee » October 24th, 2012, 7:41 am

Thanks Peder. I did go up above the falls via ROA. Seemed like the easiest access. I was hoping it would be a wider less overgrown canyon. It's not like Oneonta above the middle falls or the hike through Moffett to the first falls. It's tighter and overgrown. I'd do it again to see if I could get further but now that I've seen and read the link you posted, I'm interested in the upper portion as well.
Horsetail 4.JPG
Horsetail 5.JPG
Go! Just Go right now! Go!

Roy

Post by Roy » November 9th, 2012, 11:03 pm

Badknee wrote:Not a bad day. Got more wet scrambling over rocks and logs than any rain. Spent my morning in Horsetail above Ponytail Falls. Couldn't get too far up the creek before I had to start climbing over downed trees or hike up the banks to move up the creek. Spent my afternoon in Oneonta Creek above Triple Falls. Much easier going. On the hike up I was looking down the slopes imagining what is above Upper Oneonta Falls. Has anyone made any trips above Upper Oneonta before Triple Falls? Same question for Horsetail above Ponytail Falls. I couldn't get too far but maybe a trip down the creek from above is the way.
Horstail Creek 1.JPG
Horsetail Creek 2.JPG
Horsetail Creek 3.JPG
Oneonta Creek 1.JPG
Oneonta Creek 2.JPG
Oneonta Creek 3.JPG
Ponytail Falls .JPG
Like that name badknee but still going at it ay.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura