Ruckel Ridge Loop 5/26/16

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
dfs1109

Ruckel Ridge Loop 5/26/16

Post by dfs1109 » May 26th, 2016, 9:13 pm

GPS: Garmin 64st
Time: 6.5 hrs
Dist: 10.3 miles
Elev Gain: 4478 ft
Max Elev: 3661 ft

Trail is fairly simple to follow once you find the actual trail head above the amphitheater that is mentioned in the field report. Tough climb and reasonably clear on the way up. Benson plateau was wet and cold. Recorded 42 degrees and the wind seems to cut through there easily. The ridge trail will intersect with the creek trail and is signed once you reach the benson plateau. 405/Ruckel Creek Tr is in need of some TLC with multiple blow down. This trail gives you flowers, indain rock pits, views of the bridge of gods and meadows on your return trip down.

http://gpsfly.org/g/5970

What are these again?

I did lose the trail here for a minute. It goes up and around to the left of the rock wall.

Didn't expect to see this at 3600 ft

Foxglove, Ive been looking for this one for a while now!

Cheers!!
Daniel
"Would you like an adventure now, or shall we have our tea first?" Peter Pan

Chip Down

Re: Ruckel Ridge Loop 5/26/16

Post by Chip Down » May 27th, 2016, 5:32 pm

I too lost the route there, but as you discovered, it's pretty easy to figure out.

I wasn't surprised by the signboard, but that's only because I saw pics in other TRs. It does seem totally out of place, especially considering the direction it's facing, and the fact that it's so big.

Surprised to read of blowdown on R Creek trail. I was there maybe a month ago, and didn't notice. And it's not exactly storm season. Maybe I just didn't mind or wasn't paying attention. After all, I was a bit inebriated after my lunch at the pits. I do recall one big tree though, very close to the bottom of the trail, so it would be an easy one to take care of, and I was surprised it hadn't been attended to (obviously had been there a while).

dfs1109

Re: Ruckel Ridge Loop 5/26/16

Post by dfs1109 » May 28th, 2016, 9:06 am

Blowdown isn't too bad but I think I was expecting more on obstacles on the way up than on the way down. The recall the large tree on the way down, it is the worst of the blowdowns but still fairly simple to get around.
"Would you like an adventure now, or shall we have our tea first?" Peter Pan