How "OregonHiker" is this forum?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
retired jerry

Re: How "OregonHiker" is this forum?

Post by retired jerry » July 4th, 2018, 12:48 pm

fireworks, drone, drought struck wilderness? - hit all themes, nice :)

please submit trip reports from wherever you find interesting, but that's just my personal opinion

occasionally I run across someone that recognizes me and says they're just a lurker. After giving them a hard time hopefully to get a laugh, that's okay too, no burden to post. I've enjoyed going out in the wilderness over the years and hope others will find the same.

Guy

Post by Guy » July 4th, 2018, 3:42 pm

mjirving wrote:
July 3rd, 2018, 4:52 pm

Yep, I bought one on Sunday and there is a spot for two license plates so that you could use it for up to two vehicles...no more sharing I guess. (Well, I guess you can share it once. :lol: )

Mike
Nothing a bit of this wont solve Mike..

Actually I have no intention of filling the blanks in.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 4th, 2018, 4:04 pm

Would they fine you if you didn't put a license number in?

Has anyone every been fined for not having a permit?

Guy

Post by Guy » July 4th, 2018, 4:42 pm

retired jerry wrote:
July 4th, 2018, 4:04 pm
Would they fine you if you didn't put a license number in?

Has anyone every been fined for not having a permit?
I know my NWFS pass was checked at Wahtum lake a couple of weeks ago because those cars without one received a warning notice. Hand written though by Lost Lake Concessionaires not an official form. I didn't have a warning and have left the license plate fields blank. (Caveat: I only buy a pass because Chiyoko makes me :) )

I was fined but 10 years ago at Top Spur.

I know that as of two years ago they were still aggressively fining folks on the Cascade lakes Scenic drive. Returned to Devils Lake after a South Sister Climb and a large number of cars without a NWFP had received actual tickets.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » July 5th, 2018, 6:28 am

Heh, funny - got my recent ticket at Devils Lake TH for a S Sister climb last week also Guy.

$5 ticket, walked right by the FS guy that was checking cars. They will not tow you from the more remote trail heads is my guess. They will tow from places with dangerous parking like Dog.

Stopped at the Santiam Pass trail heads and again another FS person was there issuing tickets. I picked up some trash
in lieu of paying the $5 and explained to her that we were not recreating, just stopping to eat. She said we still needed to pay but I politely ignored her. They can call for back up from 'other' police agencies. They aren't completely powerless.
I got the feeling she was sort of exasperated with the current system of just issuing warnings/tickets rather than recreating herself out on the trails.

Anyway, sorry for this extreme thread drift :D

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » July 5th, 2018, 8:11 am

I bought my current NWFP in August of '17. I never even noticed til now it has the 2 slots to write a license plate#. I don't have a number entered and have never gotten a ticket, warning or any other kind of notice about failure to have a # entered.

Guy

Post by Guy » July 5th, 2018, 8:33 am

Eric Peterson wrote:
July 5th, 2018, 6:28 am
Heh, funny - got my recent ticket at Devils Lake TH for a S Sister climb last week also Guy.

$5 ticket, walked right by the FS guy that was checking cars. They will not tow you from the more remote trail heads is my guess. They will tow from places with dangerous parking like Dog.
Ha, that $5.00 ticket is interesting, it seems like they are not fining you for non payment as in the past (+/- $75.00 fine) but just ticketing you for the purchase price of a day pass.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 5th, 2018, 8:37 am

they should take a tiny portion of my income taxes and use that to maintain trails

Water

Post by Water » July 5th, 2018, 10:51 am

the thread drift is fine or start a new one, but i for one like to hear about NWFP. That's interesting about the $5 fine. And parking at S. Sister. You're on the side of the road, is the fine because of no parking allowed, I don't think so.. Because if you're just parking on the road and it's a legal place to park, what justification would they even have to tow for not having a permit? Isn't towing for unsafe parking or if it is a private lot/in a city parking area that is verboten?

Additionally all the district court decisions have come down to it that if you're not using the 'amenities' that the fee-demo program or whatever the acronym is (forget at the moment), that they cannot charge you for parking and going hiking. Or just sitting in your car there eating. If you get out and throw garbage away or use the pit toilet, then you're using what they provide and the fine makes sense/permit required.

I am very happy to hear you ignored the FS person trying to tell you that you needed a permit. They are just 'following orders' but the courts made clear decisions on this.
Feel Free to Feel Free

BigBear

Post by BigBear » July 5th, 2018, 11:52 am

By the courts, you must be referring tot he Circuit Court (Adams v USFS) and the district court (Bark v USFS) which both ruled that it is "unambiguously prohibited" to require permits like the NW Forest Pass for hikers, backpackers and picnickers. It's kinda hard to fine someone when you are breaking the law in the first place. Then again, I keep forgetting who's running the system. My bad.