Hikes that are doable

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
kja78

Hikes that are doable

Post by kja78 » March 10th, 2017, 10:26 pm

Looking for some advice for some trails around the Gorge or Portland area that are ok to hike right now. Not snow covered or so muddy that is would do harm to the trails. Looking for trails in the 6-12 mile range.

Thanks for the help,
kevin

kepPNW

Re: Hikes that are doable

Post by kepPNW » March 11th, 2017, 3:44 pm

We hiked from Crawford Oaks up to Stacker Butte yesterday, and it was wonderful!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

BigBear

Re: Hikes that are doable

Post by BigBear » March 13th, 2017, 11:32 am

That's a tall order: no snow or mud. Along the old highway, just east of Multnomah Falls, I noticed a snow drift that was covering the yellow road sign. I suspect that the Oregon side of the Gorge will be in a deep freeze, especially the ravines, for another month (or more if the actual temperature remains 10-15 degrees below the average temperature). Then there's the mud factor. The now needs to melt and the rain needs to stop falling for the dirt to become unsaturated. Then there are all of the trees and branches laying on the ground. It looks like a giant weed eater went down the side of the I-84.

I'm thinking paved or gravel trails if you wan to keep your shoes clean.

It would be great if everyone armed themselves with a hand saw when venturing out this next month and putting in a bit of trail maintenance. Since you can't hike too far, you can get in some extra workout with the sawing motion.