Idea for a new State Park

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
NacMacFeegle

Idea for a new State Park

Post by NacMacFeegle » February 28th, 2017, 4:02 pm

Every time I've stopped for a walk or a hike at Gnat Creek or to take in the view at the Bradley State Scenic Viewpoint, I have thought what a pity it is that there aren't more hiking trails to explore in the region. I think the area would be an excellent candidate for a new state park, so I drew up this rough proposal for one: http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogsp ... -park.html

I should note that it was only after researching and writing that proposal that I found out about the plight of Elliot State Forest, which kind of puts a damper on the idea of creating new state parks when we have to fight so hard just to retain the public lands we already have. However, I still like to dream about how such projects might be possible in the future when (if) the political landscape improves.

sgyoung

Re: Idea for a new State Park

Post by sgyoung » March 3rd, 2017, 8:52 am

This is a cool post - thanks for putting your blog link here. I appreciate the thought you've put into this idea for a new state park. I'm not in a position to speak to its feasibility, but at least in concept it looks good to me. If nothing else, it made for a fun thought experiment.

It's my understanding that the coast range is in need of additional protections and has suffered considerable ecological damage. Correct me if that's wrong, but if so then any effort to carve out protected space is admirable.

It's interesting that you mention state forest land. I imagine the purpose of state forest vs state park is pretty different and presumably the protections afforded by the different designations would be important (e.g., mixed use forest land vs recreational park land).

Anyway, thanks again for posting this. Pondering the creation of new park land and the various complications associated with such an endeavor gave me something to think about.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 3rd, 2017, 9:17 am

they've been adding state parks recently, like they were doing one a year

NacMacFeegle

Post by NacMacFeegle » March 6th, 2017, 6:24 pm

retired jerry wrote:they've been adding state parks recently, like they were doing one a year
Really? That's awesome!
sgyoung wrote:This is a cool post - thanks for putting your blog link here. I appreciate the thought you've put into this idea for a new state park. I'm not in a position to speak to its feasibility, but at least in concept it looks good to me. If nothing else, it made for a fun thought experiment.

It's my understanding that the coast range is in need of additional protections and has suffered considerable ecological damage. Correct me if that's wrong, but if so then any effort to carve out protected space is admirable.

It's interesting that you mention state forest land. I imagine the purpose of state forest vs state park is pretty different and presumably the protections afforded by the different designations would be important (e.g., mixed use forest land vs recreational park land).

Anyway, thanks again for posting this. Pondering the creation of new park land and the various complications associated with such an endeavor gave me something to think about.
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Dreaming up new parks is something of a hobby of mine.

The coast range (especially the most northerly part of it) really is lacking in protected/pristine land. To my knowledge the only really sizable protected areas in the region are Oswald West and Saddle Mountain - both of which are just barely large enough to adequately protect the natural features within them.