Fitness Level Question

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
UTurn

Re: Fitness Level Question

Post by UTurn » August 23rd, 2016, 10:49 am

RobinB wrote:
1. I try to take long-ish (20+ mile) rambles all year, not so much to stay in shape or anything like that, but just because, without those sorts of walks, I seem to go sort of nuts. Staying vaguely in shape is a nice side effect, though.

2. Despite hiking all year, I do tend to go longer, with more elevation gain, in the summer. The first few summer hikes are always just sort of painful, and I think there's definitely something to the "you have to be okay hurting" line. The other thing that's helped, for me, is not even really thinking about the day's distant goals, and instead focussing just on walking. As in: "This is what I'm doing today: walking. I'm just going to keep walking until the day's over." It seems like, when people get frustrated, it's often because their attention's on something very far away, rather than on their present, hopefully pleasant, activity.
Such great words! I shared the hurting part with my husband last night. It's true, today it might be my thighs, tomorrow the straps from my backpack but it's all worth it.

"This is what I'm doing today: walking. I'm just going to keep walking until the day's over." Love this!!

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 23rd, 2016, 6:21 pm

kepPNW wrote: From that point up, it's "just" a matter of moving one foot after another. After another. After another. :D
Yep, that's true. I don't mean to sound all new-agey spiritual and all that, but the truth is, people tend to give up sooner that they should. Any veteran mountaineer will tell you they know what it's like to push themselves to the absolute limit, and then keep going anyway, because they have to, because safety demands it, because they can't camp in the avalanche zone or whatever. Really, I don't want to come across as a pseudo-guru-mentor-whatever, but the truth is you're capable of so much more than you think you are. One trick I employ is use your breathing as a metronome. Take a step with each breath, or every two breaths, or whatever. You can't stop breathing, so if you tie your steps in to your breathing, you will get there.

Of course, some discretion is warranted. A freakishly motivated novice could conceivably get in trouble by overextending herself, so use a little common sense.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 24th, 2016, 6:16 am

Chip Down wrote:Of course, some discretion is warranted. A freakishly motivated novice could conceivably get in trouble by overextending herself, so use a little common sense.
Not so common! Two girls just recently demonstrated that. (Can't say "women" -- no maturity in evidence, whatsoever.)

Ran out of water half way up, kept going! Called 911 from the top to report they were thirsty and tired and, therefore, stuck.

http://m.ktvz.com/news/two-ill-hikers-r ... t/41265550

Wah!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

kaltbluter

Post by kaltbluter » August 24th, 2016, 6:35 am

KTVZ.COM wrote:Tanton and Chenoweth reported they were now alone on the summit, with no one around to potentially assist them.
They had the summit all to themselves? On South Sister?

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 24th, 2016, 7:19 am

kaltbluter wrote:
KTVZ.COM wrote:Tanton and Chenoweth reported they were now alone on the summit, with no one around to potentially assist them.
They had the summit all to themselves? On South Sister?
That time of day, no problem. As I was approaching the rim at about 4:30pm, the other day, the last four folks on top came bombing down. Had the entire summit to myself until well after 9pm. By morning, there were still only six of us up there. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » August 30th, 2016, 9:48 pm

Like many here I just try to stay really active in the outdoors without much training outside of that. As you continue hiking longer distances on steeper and rougher terrain your body will adapt, as long as you find that critical balance between too much and too little. Too much can bring injury and fatigue and too little will often mean lack of needed conditioning and preparedness. So finding a balance, which much of is highly individual, is important to stay happy and healthy. Here are some tips(that I'm not qualified to give ;) but will share anyway.

-Keep good posture and open your chest and shoulders for optimal breathing as you hike uphill. At some point we all end up sort of bending forward, arching our backs and staring at the ground as we become increasingly stiff, try to negate that by standing up straighter and allowing for better oxygen intake.
-Practice the hands on the knees(or knee push offs) on up-hills if you don't use poles. With your hands on your thighs push off your legs with your arms as you ascend. I use it all the time on steep trails and it helps a lot.
-Look for rocks and roots that form a sort of step and rest your heel on them like you would step on a stair or curb to give your achilles and calves a bit of a break.
-Experiment with longer strides and/or quick steps. Some people really like to lengthen their stride really using the butt and hips. Others like to quick step with a shorter stride. Practice some of these techniques on training hikes or hills in your area and you can start incorporating them into longer more difficult routes.
-Make sure you've had enough to eat and have had enough water to stay hydrated, that makes a huge difference and will keep you marching up the hill.
-Find a pace you're at least somewhat comfortable with and find your rhythm.
-Take a break(usually my favorite part)
-Unfortunately this last advice I am overqualified to give, passing gas uphill doesn't propel you to the summit with ease(I've tried lol)

Most of all be proud of yourself for seeking improvement, I know I hope to be a hiking badass in my mid 50's like many of you here are :) Happy Trails, I miss you guys!

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » August 31st, 2016, 6:37 am

Man, those rainy wintry deluge Donsoon style hikes are the best!

Just keep moving all winter long and remember - the more you do the more you can do!

:D

UTurn

Post by UTurn » August 31st, 2016, 6:31 pm

Sean Thomas wrote:-Unfortunately this last advice I am overqualified to give, passing gas uphill doesn't propel you to the summit with ease(I've tried lol)

Most of all be proud of yourself for seeking improvement, I know I hope to be a hiking badass in my mid 50's like many of you here are :) Happy Trails, I miss you guys!
All great advice....even that last one! Seriously, thank you. Miss seeing you here so come around more often. You are a great encourager to many.

viking

Post by viking » September 1st, 2016, 9:31 pm

Some more advice, Don Whilians -British hard man-driving force of the 1970 South face of Annapurna climb-biggest wall ever climbed to that point- when asked when did he start training for that climb replied; last tavern out of town.
What I get out of his statement is the mental factor is at least as important as any other training. If you want it bad enough you can do it.

UTurn

Post by UTurn » September 2nd, 2016, 7:56 am

viking wrote: What I get out of his statement is the mental factor is at least as important as any other training. If you want it bad enough you can do it.
So true! Push until you can't go anymore. Then keep going.