Jefferson Park Changes 2016

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
miah66

Re: Jefferson Park Changes 2016

Post by miah66 » July 14th, 2015, 11:30 am

scrambler2 wrote:
Will these new regs apply to thru hikers? Section hikers?
I don't see why it wouldn't. Unless you have a permit, you won't be camping by the lake at a designated site. You'll have to camp directly on the meadows 20 ft from the trail. :oops: Sorry, what I meant to say was, you'll have to camp off of fragile vegetation 250 feet away from the lakes.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Aridd

Post by Aridd » July 14th, 2015, 12:16 pm

miah66 wrote:
scrambler2 wrote:
Will these new regs apply to thru hikers? Section hikers?
I don't see why it wouldn't. Unless you have a permit, you won't be camping by the lake at a designated site. You'll have to camp directly on the meadows 20 ft from the trail. :oops: Sorry, what I meant to say was, you'll have to camp off of fragile vegetation 250 feet away from the lakes.

A littlle backstory on that photo: I actually came in the same day as Mattisnotfrench and saw the same thing (thought he was using my photos even ha!), I asked the group leader what was up with it. He apologized and said their group (young boyscouts) tried to make it to Jefferson Park but it got dark on them while descending the ridge, so they setup in the first place they could. Doesn't make it okay, or right, but there's the whole story. I have never seen anything else like it in my numerous trips to the area over the years, so that picture is not a good example of why the reservation or permit system is needed.

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » July 14th, 2015, 1:42 pm

Heads up- more details in Statesman Journal article here:

Feds plan permit system for Jefferson Park campsites

From the article:
Growing crowds at Jefferson Park

The number of people hiking and camping at Jefferson Park, a subalpine meadow in the Mount Jefferson Wilderness, has exploded the last few years. Here are numbers taken from the Whitewater Trailhead, the most popular access point to Jeff Park, that show the increase (there are many other ways to access Jeff Park). The data shows the number of free wilderness permits filled out at the trailhead and the number of total people visiting Jefferson Park from Whitewater Traihead.

DAY USE

2012 – 403 permits, 952 people

2013 – 418 permits, 959 people

2014 – 535 permits, 1588 people

OVERNIGHT USE

2012 – 463 permits, 1154 people

2013 – 502 permits, 1285 people

2014 – 693 permits, 1794 people

TOTAL VISITS

2012 – 2,106 people

2013 – 2,244

2014 – 3,382

Rather B Hiking

Jefferson Park Changes 2016

Post by Rather B Hiking » July 14th, 2015, 7:40 pm

Those are huge numbers, but I will point out that the overnight visitors included PCTA crews that have been working on meadow restoration. They have had crews in there over the past 3-4 years, including several crews of up to 12 people in 2014.

Markh752

Post by Markh752 » July 14th, 2015, 10:55 pm

mattisnotfrench wrote:Image
aridd wrote:A littlle backstory on that photo: I actually came in the same day as Mattisnotfrench and saw the same thing (thought he was using my photos even ha!), I asked the group leader what was up with it. He apologized and said their group (young boyscouts) tried to make it to Jefferson Park but it got dark on them while descending the ridge, so they setup in the first place they could. Doesn't make it okay, or right, but there's the whole story. I have never seen anything else like it in my numerous trips to the area over the years, so that picture is not a good example of why the reservation or permit system is needed.
And now it's the poster child for what not to do in the wilderness...
I hope that none of you post my backpacking oops on here. Or maybe you have. :oops:

Markh752

Post by Markh752 » July 14th, 2015, 11:02 pm

For those wanting to discuss permits in the Goat Rocks, here you go... Goat Rocks permits

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 15th, 2015, 5:00 am

Aridd wrote:so that picture is not a good example of why the reservation or permit system is needed.
Killer propaganda though. Even better than lying with numbers. Especially now that it's been handed to the (innumerate) media.
CampinCarl wrote:
Bogus. Notice it's not just an increase in visitors, from a single trailhead, but also carpooling! There are a number of possibilities that could explain a shift like that, and I'd put "a fundamental change in human behavior" pretty far down the list of most likely. Data collection issues or compilation errors might come first. Things such as missing pencils, overstuffed permit boxes, lack of blank permits, even an awesome trip report that spoke to gawdawful road/trail conditions from another trailhead could contribute to the rise in vehicles. The rise in carpooling (people count would've been ~1200 at previous rate) really makes the numbers smell like 3-day old fish.

Lies, damned lies, and ...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Guy

Post by Guy » July 15th, 2015, 5:22 am

<
CampinCarl wrote:
Bogus. Notice it's not just an increase in visitors, from a single trailhead, but also carpooling! There are a number of possibilities that could explain a shift like that, and I'd put "a fundamental change in human behavior" pretty far down the list of most likely. Data collection issues or compilation errors might come first. Things such as missing pencils, overstuffed permit boxes, lack of blank permits, even an awesome trip report that spoke to gawdawful road/trail conditions from another trailhead could contribute to the rise in vehicles. The rise in carpooling (people count would've been ~1200 at previous rate) really makes the numbers smell like 3-day old fish.

I could be accused of and perhaps I am being a bit of a conspiracy theorist here but I have come to believe over the last few years that the FS is just as likely to use data from trailhead day use & overnight permits against you as for you. I have altered my behavior & use of them accordingly.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » July 15th, 2015, 5:30 am

kepPNW wrote:
Aridd wrote:so that picture is not a good example of why the reservation or permit system is needed.
Killer propaganda though. Even better than lying with numbers. Especially now that it's been handed to the (innumerate) media.
CampinCarl wrote:

They've had the same permit box, the same type of forms (and they use a scantron form, which is very easy to use) and the same messages at all 4 of the trailheads for Jefferson Park over the past 3 years. I've been to all of these trailheads at least twice in the past 4 years and they've never once been out of forms. There have been no demonstrable changes in any of the roads leading to these trailheads (other than obvious grading and pothole-filling on the Whitewater Road this year). There have been no trail closures of any of the 4 routes over the past 3 years.

In other words, I have no reason to doubt their data collection. The Detroit RD pays very, very close attention to Jefferson Park and they should - it's the crown jewel of their RD and one of their most popular destinations.

Speaking as somebody who has been going to Jefferson Park for over 20 years and who has gone 3 times in the past 2 years: it's far more crowded now than it ever has been. I've seen this trend play out, and it's curious and worrisome. Now, it's always been crowded; what has changed is that far more people are backpacking there than in the past. This is why I like to go in via South Breitenbush, as you miss Scout and Bays Lakes and most of the people until you get within a half-mile of the PCT. The trail might be long, hot and rocky but at least most of the people stay away. Most of the increase in usage is on Whitewater and the PCT via Park Ridge.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 15th, 2015, 6:14 am

Jefferson Park is clearly heavily used

Many ways they could address this including just ignoring the problem

Whatever they do, there will be people criticizing them for not doing it differently:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_mille ... the_donkey

Finances are limited so they don't have a lot of choices.

Funny how much energy people have for unimportant things like piles of rocks that kids playfully erect :lol: