Hikes reachable via public transit from Portland

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
kwpapke

Re: Hikes reachable via public transit from Portland

Post by kwpapke » July 1st, 2015, 9:43 am

This is actually the best link:

http://www.skamaniacounty.org/senior-se ... portation/

It contains the schedule posted by Walkin62, which is the expanded weekEND schedule, the the one linked to by the OH public transit site, which is the weekDAY schedule.

Anyway, definitely doable.
My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/KurtPapke?gvnc=1

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 1st, 2015, 11:51 am

Okay, I stuck it in there - 2015 summer schedule

Thanks

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » July 4th, 2015, 1:03 pm

I've done hikes via public transit from Portland a few times...

1) As mentioned, Paradise Park from Timberline Lodge via Mt. Hood Express. I did this one a couple weeks ago and spent a couple nights.

2) I did a one day, 20-ish miler that started at Timberline Lodge via the Mt. Hood Express (arrived 10:30 AM), went west below Paradise Park and out the Zigzag Mountain Trail back to Zigzag, and caught the last bus of the day (8:30 PM) at the stop on Salmon River Road to return to Portland. And 10 hours to do 20 mostly downhill miles was plenty, for me at least. It could also be done in two days with an overnight at Paradise Park or Cast Lake (one of my personal faves).

3) I took my bike via Mt. Hood Express to the Salmon River Road stop, biked out to the Salmon River trailhead (5 miles) and hiked the Salmon River. Great ride/hike combo.

4) Mirror Lake/TDH Mountain via Skibowl. I normally do this in winter with snowshoes, and let them deal with the whole chaining-up business, but it would work in summer as well... just have to do that slog along the highway between Skibowl and the trailhead.

I just love how inexpensive the entire trip turns out to be... only $5.50 one way when you account for TriMet and SAM and Mt. Hood Express.

kwpapke

Post by kwpapke » July 5th, 2015, 4:07 am

teachpdx wrote:I've done hikes via public transit from Portland a few times...
<snip>
I just love how inexpensive the entire trip turns out to be... only $5.50 one way when you account for TriMet and SAM and Mt. Hood Express.
Thanks so much, that was very informative and it was great to hear from someone who has done it.
My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/KurtPapke?gvnc=1

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 5th, 2015, 5:05 am

How long did it take to go from portland to Timberline lodge?

There's some way to walk from Ski Bowl to Mirror Lake TH without walking on highway

Charley

Post by Charley » July 5th, 2015, 8:09 pm

Here's a TR from just such a hike I did last year:

http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... timberline

Do it! It's fun!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » July 18th, 2015, 5:53 pm

retired jerry wrote:How long did it take to go from portland to Timberline lodge?
I live in inner Southeast and it takes me just shy of 2.5 hours to get to Timberline Lodge. It's usually only about 90 minutes from Gresham TC. The connection in Sandy is usually timed such that the two buses connect. I just use the transit feature on Google Maps and it hasn't failed me yet.
kwpapke wrote:Thanks so much, that was very informative and it was great to hear from someone who has done it.
You are very welcome!