Cowlitz Ranger District Road Mess

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
K.Wagner

Cowlitz Ranger District Road Mess

Post by K.Wagner » May 29th, 2016, 4:19 pm

We had big plans for this Memorial Day weekend. We would start by driving up to Packwood, to take in the Packwood Flea Market, which turns the entire town into one big garage sale. We had fun, I bought a few small tools, ate some really good food, and had some real laughs at some of the junk that vendors were trying to hawk. So that got the wife in a good mood so she could stand to spend the rest of the weekend driving gravel roads and hiking with me.

After Packwood, the goal was to find a place to camp, near East Canyon Ridge (NW of Takhlakh Lake). From Packwood, we headed south on the 21 Rd. Then near the Adams Fork CG, we turned up the little used 5601 Rd, heading for Olallie Lake. About 1/2 way there, got stopped at the bridge over the Adams Fork. The approach to the bridge was almost completely washed out. We drove back down the 56 Rd, and drove up towards Potato Hill, hoping to make a connection to Takhlakh Lake with the little 2329 Rd. At the Keene Horse Camp, we encountered the first obstacle. Fran got mad at me for evening thinking about trying to drive it, and insisted on walking (obviously completely forgetting about the wonderful time I had just given her in Packwood!).
IMG_1309-S.jpg
Fortunately there were no problems and I got through without a single scrape.

Another mile or so of easy driving and just southof the Horseshoe Lake Jct., suddenly all forward progress stopped because of some serious road damage.
IMG_1308-S.jpg
Pretty sure that this was done by Killen Creek. Driving through this one was completely out of the question! Those rocks in the middle were the size of a Lazy Boy Recliner! This little obstacle now means that the Killen Creek Trail can only be accessed from the Takhlakh Lake side. It also means that any Mt Adams PCT hike, with a car shuttle at Potato Hill is going to be a very long drive!

So, we turned around, and drove back down to the Cispus River. I headed west on the 21 Rd, and after a couple of miles came to a “Road Closed” sign. I knew that the 23 Rd had some washouts between this junction and Randle, but didn't know about any problems up the 23 Rd towards Takhlakh Lake. So, I sort of drove around the sign :? , and then turned left on the 23 Rd. We drove for about 5 miles, passing several scenes like this, where the docile little creek had turned into a raging monster, and had just about destroyed the road bed.
IMG_1315-S.jpg
We found a really nice little spot to camp off the main road, with noisy East Canyon Creek just a few feet away. Here it passes through a narrow slot that it had cut through the bed rock.
IMG_1312-S.jpg
Sunday morning, was looking really nice. The clouds were lifting, and there were big patches of blue sky showing. So, filled with new hope, we continued up the 23 Rd, only to get stopped again.
IMG_1314-S.jpg
This washout is about 1/2 mile above the Sunrise Peak Rd (FR2324) and just about where the #263 Dark Meadow Trail hits the road. So this means that Sunrise Peak is officially unreachable, unless you are willing to do some long miles of hiking. You might be able to plead with the Cowlitz RD office for a special permit to drive the road, but keep in mind that the Forest Service exemplifies bureaucracy! Also, as of today, FR2324 is officially closed because of a slide & washout 1/8 mile up, and it is really questionable whether it will get repaired this year.

Feeling completely deflated, we turned around and made the 35 mile drive back to Packwood, then the 2 1/2 hr. drive back home.

The Dark Divide is now almost unreachable from the Cowlitz side. For more maps and details about the road damage in the Cowiltz Ranger District, go to: Cowlitz RD Road Damage The bottom line is that if you are thinking of ANY trips in the Cowlitz RD, study this site, and the call to confirm!
Last edited by K.Wagner on June 2nd, 2016, 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

Don Nelsen

Re: Cowlitz Ranger District Road Mess

Post by Don Nelsen » May 29th, 2016, 4:27 pm

Kelly,

Thanks for the excellent documentation and map link. Looks like the Dark Divide will be much more of a challenge this year!

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

drm

Post by drm » May 30th, 2016, 12:31 pm

On the 2329, which side of the Muddy Meadows turnoff is the damage on?

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » May 31st, 2016, 5:06 am

The damage is on the Takhlakh Lake side. We drove past the trail head.

Keep in mind that with all the road closures, the only route in there is via FR21, Packwood.
Kelly

Skamania 231

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » May 31st, 2016, 5:53 am

Holy cow! :o

That first picture.... that doesn't even look like a road. Crazy.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » May 31st, 2016, 6:35 pm

Oh wow, this is not good news at all. Thanks so much for the detailed update. Very much appreciated.

So the 2329 wash is between Killen and muddy meadows correct?? Sounds like divide camp would be ok then using 23 to 2329.

Thanks again
Last edited by -Q- on May 31st, 2016, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » May 31st, 2016, 6:42 pm

I would also like to thank you for the detailed information in this report.

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » May 31st, 2016, 8:59 pm

-Q-

I didn't get out and walk that bad section (was half afraid to, for fear that my wife might think that I was considering trying to drive that one too!), but I am pretty sure that the damage was done by Killen Creek. So, as far as I know, 2329 is open to the north, ie: Takhlakh Lake. There was snow on the far side of that washout, and the road rises another 300 feet before it drops to the lake, so it may not be drivable yet to even inspect it. Also, keep in mind that there are 4 other creek crossings between there and Takhlakh Lake.
Kelly

Skamania 231

-Q-

Post by -Q- » June 1st, 2016, 12:53 am

Sure hope that wash is the only damaged section. Its already gonna be tough hiking adams with the fire closures. Losing muddy meadows from the south will stink. Fingers crossed for divide camp.

Bad news for sunrise peak trailhead too. Spent the weekend up there last year exploring sunrise, jumbo etc. Fun place

drm

Post by drm » June 1st, 2016, 6:28 am

Muddy Meadows is one of the nicer trailheads in the sense of the views right from the start, but it doesn't increase mileage that much to use Killen Creek trail. And that washout looks to be fairly easy to fix with the right equipment. It's not like the road fell into a river and needs to be relocated. The FS website now says that the damage to 23 in the north will not get fixed this year.

Many of us access these areas from the south, which for some reason did not get nearly as much damage. Road 88 has a major washout, barring access to the Lewis River on it, but 23 is open to the Lewis River already.