A hiking picture for each day of the year...?

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
pdxgene
Posts: 5073
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:03 pm

Re: A hiking picture for each day of the year...?

Post by pdxgene » August 29th, 2015, 8:33 am

For some reason, my worst month is March. I should be able to finish off the last two days I need for September next month. I have about the same 75 days as Jess. But now that I know which ones they are it'll be easier to knock out a good sized chunk of them. My work schedule is much heavier in winter so that'll slow it down a bit.
But one of these days...
Fun to see a few others interested enough to check theirs..

BigBear
Posts: 1516
Joined: October 1st, 2009, 11:54 am

Re: A hiking picture for each day of the year...?

Post by BigBear » August 31st, 2015, 1:47 pm

I like the idea, but for us working stiffs a picture a week (or one for each day-off for approx 120) would be the result.

There was a similar concept I saw last year of a PCT-thru-hiker who took a selfie each day and put it together in a slide show so you could watch his beard grow as the background changed.

User avatar
jessbee
Posts: 732
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:03 pm
Contact:

Re: A hiking picture for each day of the year...?

Post by jessbee » August 31st, 2015, 3:47 pm

BigBear, I think the idea is a picture a day of every calendar day of the year, so if for example January 1 is on a Friday one year, the following year it will be on a Saturday. Therefore, if you're resigned to hiking primarily on weekends, you could potentially accumulate 366 unique dates in the course of several years.

Fortunately, next year is a leap year so you've got a chance to snag a February 29 hike as early as 2016 (although it doesn't fall on a weekend :)
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

User avatar
Guy
Posts: 3185
Joined: May 10th, 2009, 4:42 pm
Location: The Foothills of Mt Hood
Contact:

Re: A hiking picture for each day of the year...?

Post by Guy » August 31st, 2015, 4:24 pm

jessbee wrote:BigBear, I think the idea is a picture a day of every calendar day of the year, so if for example January 1 is on a Friday one year, the following year it will be on a Saturday. Therefore, if you're resigned to hiking primarily on weekends, you could potentially accumulate 366 unique dates in the course of several years.

Fortunately, next year is a leap year so you've got a chance to snag a February 29 hike as early as 2016 (although it doesn't fall on a weekend :)
Exactly! It first I thought that by 90% of my hikes being on Sundays I would not be in with a chance but in theory if I hiked every Sunday for 7 years I would have every day covered. Haven't had time to run my numbers yet.
hiking log, photos & maps.
Ad monte summa aut mors

User avatar
kepPNW
Posts: 6216
Joined: June 21st, 2012, 9:55 am
Location: Salmon Creek

Re: A hiking picture for each day of the year...?

Post by kepPNW » September 1st, 2015, 5:47 am

Guy wrote:
jessbee wrote:BigBear, I think the idea is a picture a day of every calendar day of the year, so if for example January 1 is on a Friday one year, the following year it will be on a Saturday. Therefore, if you're resigned to hiking primarily on weekends, you could potentially accumulate 366 unique dates in the course of several years.

Fortunately, next year is a leap year so you've got a chance to snag a February 29 hike as early as 2016 (although it doesn't fall on a weekend :)
Exactly! It first I thought that by 90% of my hikes being on Sundays I would not be in with a chance but in theory if I hiked every Sunday for 7 years I would have every day covered. Haven't had time to run my numbers yet.
It's kind of like keeping old calendars, to recycle them again in the future. The longest before a repeat is somewhere around 14 years or so, but they typically come up quicker than that. For example, a list of years with the same calendar as 2015: http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/repeating.html
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

(Tracks · Photos · PortlandHikers)

User avatar
miah66
Posts: 2023
Joined: July 6th, 2009, 8:00 pm

Re: A hiking picture for each day of the year...?

Post by miah66 » September 1st, 2015, 6:27 am

That's pretty amazing. I had no idea you could "recycle your calendar"! :)
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

pdxgene
Posts: 5073
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:03 pm

Re: A hiking picture for each day of the year...?

Post by pdxgene » February 28th, 2016, 10:20 am

Leap Day on Monday!
Only one shot to hike on this one every four years. It even looks dry... I'm goin'.. :P

User avatar
jessbee
Posts: 732
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:03 pm
Contact:

Re: A hiking picture for each day of the year...?

Post by jessbee » February 28th, 2016, 6:45 pm

pdxgene wrote:Leap Day on Monday!
Only one shot to hike on this one every four years. It even looks dry... I'm goin'.. :P
HAHA I'm going too! I blocked out some time in my day specifically to do this :)

I had to miss a few days in December and January so I'm a little behind schedule but I've crossed off a LOT of days on my to-do list since September.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

User avatar
jessbee
Posts: 732
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:03 pm
Contact:

Re: A hiking picture for each day of the year...?

Post by jessbee » May 17th, 2018, 6:50 am

So...I did it.

Thank you to pdxgene for inspiring this project. I completed all 366 days on May 10, 2018. I even started an Instagram page and a blog about the whole thing. Here's the post I just wrote about finishing the project:

http://hike366.com/2018/05/17/the-final ... f-hike366/

I may not post here very much but I read the forums a ton and I'm usually out hiking anyways.

My next step is to turn it into a book, but we'll see how that goes... At least I'll put a lot of writing on the web :)
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

User avatar
retired jerry
Posts: 12009
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:03 pm

Re: A hiking picture for each day of the year...?

Post by retired jerry » May 17th, 2018, 7:21 am

you went hiking every day for a year?

Post Reply