Hiking Trip Plans

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
Eric Peterson

Re: Hiking Trip Plans

Post by Eric Peterson » July 29th, 2012, 12:07 pm

Lurch wrote:Hah, well that's a beast of a hike. Hope you weren't planning on doing it in a single day... Although you Loonies may be able to pull it off.
timber-eagle.png
Map is large, 15 sheets of 8.5x11 paper. PDF is about 18 megs

MAP HERE
(Currently uploading, will be up shortly)
Huh?!? over 16k' of EG!! I don't think I'm that loony!!! :shock:

Crusak

Post by Crusak » July 29th, 2012, 1:33 pm

Eric Peterson wrote:
Lurch wrote:Hah, well that's a beast of a hike. Hope you weren't planning on doing it in a single day... Although you Loonies may be able to pull it off.
Huh?!? over 16k' of EG!! I don't think I'm that loony!!! :shock:
I didn't notice the stats at the bottom of the elevation profile picture. It's a 3-day 'Crusak' backpack trip at best, lol. And I'd have to figure out a shuttle of some kind too, or make it a six day trip. :)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

mayhem

Post by mayhem » July 29th, 2012, 8:27 pm

timber-eagle.png
Map is large, 15 sheets of 8.5x11 paper. PDF is about 18 megs

MAP HERE
(Currently uploading, will be up shortly)
Wow!! Thank you. Now I need to put big boy pants on & get-er done :). It is actually 10- 15 miles less than i expected :). It's doable... Bammmmola!!!!

(Talk is cheap though)
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » July 29th, 2012, 8:33 pm

16000' of EG in one day might be doable if not for the miles, that's a heap of both
all in a one day hike! GL!!

Lurch

Post by Lurch » July 29th, 2012, 8:48 pm

You guys made me go back and double check my track.. It does indeed say 16k but I may take that with at least a little bit of a grain of salt.

Next time someone passes I would greatly appreciate a picture of Preachers Pass and Devils Pulpit though, those are two I don't have yet..

mayhem

Post by mayhem » July 29th, 2012, 10:17 pm

Eric Peterson wrote:16000' of EG in one day might be doable if not for the miles, that's a heap of both
all in a one day hike! GL!!
DDD Mayhem Style is 15,000+ just over 36 miles & I'm about 10-12 lbs lighter so....just push on dude!! :)
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » July 31st, 2012, 9:27 am

Lurch, if I read your graph correctly, it's plotted from Timberline to Eagle Creek, with 16,000 ascending and 22,000 descending, which means that to go the reverse direction - from the Gorge to Hood - the elevation gain would actually be 22,000??? :shock:
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 31st, 2012, 11:07 am

hmmm

Just from looking at it looks more like 10,000 feet EG

Lurch

Post by Lurch » July 31st, 2012, 11:31 am

I might have to lean more towards Jerry's estimate for a realistic number.. :oops:

The actual elevation profile has a *lot* more ups and downs, I did my best to smooth it out and give a generic representation. But keep in mind that there is a difference between climbing and the elevation gain/change.

If you walk over a 10' birm, and start and end at the same elevation you would have no net elevation gain. But you would have 10' of climbing, and 10' of descending on the other side.

The numbers are off, I'll admit it :( Distance is probably fairly accurate, but elevation models on just about every program I've used all have their inaccuracies. Multiplied with small tracking errors, (jumping straight across a small ravine instead of dipping in to keep a steady elevation) and number start to get a bit crazy.

My guess would be about half of the numbers shown... Now I have to redeem myself :|

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 31st, 2012, 12:15 pm

Nothing to redeem yourself over :)

Nice info except for the EG

Yeah, this has been hashed and re-hashed

Hard to get good numbers

For each step you have to raise each foot maybe 1 foot. And your body goes up and down a little.

What I like is when I stop and rest, there's a little cloud of positions created. If I can rest long enough I can get some serious elevation gain and distance :lol: