Early PCT hikers run into problems

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
jessbee

Re: Early PCT hikers run into problems

Post by jessbee » May 22nd, 2015, 3:37 pm

Chase wrote: My hope is that, as communicators improve their features, they will also become more affordable. Then 1-way emergency beacons will go the way of the external frame pack and 2-way communicators will be the norm.
Yes, me too! I like my SPOT but fortunately haven't needed to use it in an emergency. Would love to have the ability to communicate more than just OK or RESCUE.
Chase wrote:Also, keep in mind that people who are rescued for non-life/limb/eyesight reasons tend to be aware that they have caused many people to stop with their regular lives, use expensive resources, and find them. They are not proud of this. Maybe Lurch has seen something to the contrary, but I doubt it.
Maybe they're not proud but that doesn't seem to be enough to promote critical thinking and problem solving to avoid using the call for help.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » May 22nd, 2015, 8:45 pm

IIRC the Spot has 2 emergency buttons, a third 'predefined' message button and an 'ok' button.

Of the 2 emergency buttons, one calls in the cavalry, the other calls your mom (figuratively). Since I've used one of these at work, we had a protocol for each usage and these people probably could have created a better defined protocol.

For instance, only use the SOS button for a real emergency and the lesser button to call someone local who could mobilize some personal resources to find them. Since they were only "uncomfortable", a few of us could have gone to check on them had we gotten the 'call'.
- Michael

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 23rd, 2015, 5:52 am

Chase wrote:My hope is that, as communicators improve their features, they will also become more affordable. Then 1-way emergency beacons will go the way of the external frame pack and 2-way communicators will be the norm. With 2-way text (or sat phones) SAR can get so much more info on a situation to evaluate the level of emergency and how to best be ready to rescue.
That's the intriguing aspect of this one. Apparently, SAR had phone contact with these ladies!
Which leads me to think there are details that went unreported. I do share your hope for rapid and wider-spread adoption of the 2-way tools. It's gotta help, in so many ways.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » June 5th, 2015, 7:59 am

Koda wrote:an 18yr old hiker using a phone app to find water on the trail....

sigh.... the outdoors will never be the same. :(
Most thru hikers use the water report "app" because it is constantly updated. We also used Halfmile's maps to navigate by phone. There are other useful files that can be downloaded on to your electronic devices.

Why would you have something against someone using current information to assist them in such a long hike?
PCT class of 2012

Stefrobrts

Post by Stefrobrts » June 5th, 2015, 8:26 am

Is the drought bad enough that portions of the trail are not going to be hikeable because of water shortages? You can only carry so much with you, and if there's long stretches where everything has dried up...
Stephanie
Vancouver, WA

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » June 5th, 2015, 11:38 am

Stefrobrts wrote:Is the drought bad enough that portions of the trail are not going to be hikeable because of water shortages? You can only carry so much with you, and if there's long stretches where everything has dried up...
When I did the hike in 2012 it was also a drought year but not as bad as this year. The dry sections of trail are well documented in the water report. The water report will tell hikers if the next spring has run dry or a water cache has been refilled. News spreads fast along the trail as well. It wasn't uncommon for me to carry 6 liters into one of the waterless sections. Hat Creek Rim was about 30 miles. You learn to adapt. Hike at night when it's cooler. Camp and cook near water sources. I had to detour 6 miles off of the PCT just to get water.

Water caches are invaluable in Southern Cal. Trail angels have been stocking water for years now.
PCT class of 2012