New to PNW hiking, looking for tips or partners!

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
cweiss

New to PNW hiking, looking for tips or partners!

Post by cweiss » May 13th, 2016, 8:18 am

Hello hello! I'm Chris. I came from the midwest (Missouri) a couple years ago and have been spending most my summers getting to know the city and town and meet new friends. Oregon nature is what made me move here, and now I'm looking to start taking advantage of that aspect as much as I can!

I've done a handful of hikes here, but mostly just outside the city in the Gorge (Eagle Creek, Angel's Rest, etc. but also Ape Canyon - more Helens). I'm looking to expand this and get into backpacking, but would love to meet people or hear any next-step recommendations.

Ironically, the first things I bought when I first moved here were an ultra-lite tent and mat, stove, and water filter - and have yet to use them. I'm open to day hikes just as much, but would hope to transition into overnights.

I'm so happy to have found this site chalk-full of recommendations, but hope even more to meet people that are planning anything from small to big!
Attachments
2015_0706_12021400.jpg
Hello! Walking in southern Germany.

justpeachy

Re: New to PNW hiking, looking for tips or partners!

Post by justpeachy » May 16th, 2016, 5:54 am

Welcome, Chris! With summer right around the corner our best backpacking season is beginning. In addition to the information on this site I would pick up a copy of William Sullivan's 100 Hikes in Northwest Oregon. Although most of that book consists of day hikes, many of them can be adapted into overnight trips. Another one to check out is One Night Wilderness: Portland, by Doug Lorain, which has backpacking trips specifically designed to fit into one weekend.

Two of my favorite overnight treks in the area are Elk Cove and Jefferson Park, although be aware that as of this year reservations are required to camp at Jefferson Park (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22163).

As for finding people to hike with, the Organize & Invite forum on this site is a good place to start. You can join a hike that someone else has posted there, or organize your own.

Happy hiking!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 16th, 2016, 6:54 am

Paradise Park, McNeil Point, Yocum Ridge on Mount Hood. But there's snow except August and September. Backpacking or day hike. You could do lower elevations like Ramona Falls now.

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » May 16th, 2016, 12:43 pm

Welcome to the great PNW! I suspect that this will take a little transition time to learn about the forests and hills here, as the high point in MO is only about 3,800 feet (as I recall).

What part of Missouri are you from? Our daughter and her husband live just south of Ava.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

cweiss

Post by cweiss » May 27th, 2016, 8:03 pm

Cherly, Jerry, and Kelly! Thanks so much! I'm sorry I didn't have email notifications turned on when I got a reply - thanks so much for your amazing suggestions to see more than just the gorge! I can't wait to explore some of them this summer. I'm going to post on the other forum to try and find hiking buds or make plans.

Kelly - I'm from the Springfield area. So while no Ozarks necessarily in the city, they were only a short jaunt. I didn't get out there much, though from what I remember it was nice - but you're right, completely pales in comparison to anywhere else in the US in terms of mountainous elevation.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 27th, 2016, 8:09 pm

"I didn't have email notifications turned on "

I usually just click "unread posts" button and it has a list in time order. Scan for interesting trip reports or whatever

Peder

Post by Peder » May 28th, 2016, 8:00 am

Welcome Chris! Also check out Coldwater Peak (it's in William Sullivan's 100 Hikes in Northwest Oregon). The coast also has many great hikes, so you will need to buy Sullivan's Coastal Guide or borrow it from your local library. When it gets too hot around Portland, you may still need a sweatshirt on the coast! One of my favorites is Salishan Spit.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

jointhedance

Post by jointhedance » May 30th, 2016, 8:25 am

Chris, welcome, meetup group hiking june 2, Detroit Lake area high points, two hikes in the same area. Also, group of us planning a night hike, June 18, hiking to watch moonrise and sunset from a summit, weather permitting. Summit could be Saddle mountain, or Silver Star, which one may depend on weather conditions. You're welcome to join!

cweiss

Post by cweiss » June 2nd, 2016, 8:48 pm

Thanks everyone! I can't wait to pick up Sullivan's book!

I know it's a very well known and over-hiked trail, but after 3 years I'm finally heading to dog mountain tomorrow! I only hope the flowers are still there...

@jointhedance - sorry I missed you yesterday! I may be able to join the 18th, work schedule permitting. I'll try and keep an eye out on the organize page.

Thanks again everyone, for the warm welcome!

BoxKite

Post by BoxKite » June 12th, 2016, 3:46 pm

Greetings, if you're interested in an area day hike, I'm planning for Archer Mountain in the next week or two.