Dog Mtn from Dog Creek Falls via E ridge (+trip two, Dec 26)

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
acorn woodpecker

Re: Dog Mtn from Dog Creek Falls via E ridge (+trip two, Dec

Post by acorn woodpecker » January 3rd, 2017, 3:49 pm

mandrake wrote:
acorn woodpecker wrote:I don't think there is a "standard" route up that ridge as it's so minimally traveled. Most folks explore Dog Creek itself and stay off the ridges. Unless there's been recent user maintenance, those saw cuts are old (I remember seeing them a few years back) and most of the trail is animal created. It's possible the trail is part of a loop to exit the canyon and descend the ridge.
How high up is this trail? Apparently there was a pretty serious pot-growing operation going on somewhere up above the west side of Dog Creek a number of years back. Reportedly the growers had done some pretty intricate terracing per the steep slopes up there. The authorities went in to bust them, then made the mistake of trying to descend direct to Dog Creek. Reportedly they got unexpectedly cliffed out and had to spend the night up there.
I don't recall the elevation, but fairly low. I don't remember seeing anything but animal trail after 1500 ft. I assume the trail Chip Down followed from the Dog Creek was partially (or wholly) constructed by the pot-growing operation.