Home  •   Field Guide  •   Forums  •   Unread Posts  •   Maps  •   Find a Hike!  •    Register  •   Search  •  
Jump to:  
Login  | 

Board index » Trips » Off-trail Trip Reports & Lost Trails

Post subject: Route at Duncan Creek Road closed?
 Post Posted: January 21st, 2018, 1:30 pm 

We were scoping out some hikes at Duncan Creek road which head to Archer Falls up the powerline road or to WA Russ Jolley up Duncan Creek, according to some OR Hikers posts. We saw a trail where the road crosses the creek, but there was a barrier across the trail and No Trespassing (abbreviated) spray painted on a rock. Any idea why this is so marked and if this is private property?
Also, the gate across the powerline road to Archer Falls was locked.

File comment: BaseCamp view of the closed marker by Duncan Creek.
No Trespassing.PNG
No Trespassing.PNG [ 257.63 KiB | Viewed 355 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Route at Duncan Creek Road closed?
 Post Posted: January 21st, 2018, 1:48 pm 

I'm perplexed by your map. I recognize certain features/names as being consistent with other maps, while other features seem out of place, and names seem odd. Anyway, I think I know what you're getting at. Were you actually planning to drive up the powerline road? It's not a bad walk. I've never done the RJ trail, but was hoping to some day.

Post Posted: January 21st, 2018, 5:51 pm 

There is a small section of private land where that sign is located. To Access the Duncan Cr. trails, you can bypass the private section by heading up the gravel road to the NE about 2/10 mile and there is a trail on public land. That won't get you to Archer though. For that, you head up the power line road. Your map has the power line road mislabeled as Duncan Cr. Road. If the gate is locked, I guess you just have to hike up the power line road. But first check to see if you can lift the chain over the post. I did that last time I was there a couple of months ago. Here is a map.

Here is a broader view:

dn

Post Posted: January 21st, 2018, 9:29 pm 

Thank you for the guidance. Yes, the map is odd. It shows "Hopkins Road" which isn't there. The map is from my Garmin map software.

No Trespassing 2.JPG
No Trespassing 2.JPG [ 139.06 KiB | Viewed 326 times ]
 Post Posted: February 7th, 2018, 9:38 pm 

To add a bit of info to Dons excellent map 6 tenths of an acre is private at the bridge. If you walk up the road a short distance and across from the bus turnaround sign at a little creek there is a trail that bypasses the private land and meets up with the regular trail next to the creek and then you can return on the trail that is 2 tenths of a mile uphill as Don describes it.

When the creek is too high to cross we access the trail from the West side of the creek. A little ways in from steel barrier there is a goat path to your left, follow it for a few minutes to end of fallen log. You will notice a big tree across West Duncan. Cross log and find trail uphill. That trail meets up with old Russ Jolley trail which takes you over to where we usually cross Duncan. RJ trail is ok but you need a bit of trail finding skill to follow it.

When you park make sure you leave room for the school bus to turn around. Several people have got $60 fines. No problem at the weekend.

Board index » Trips » Off-trail Trip Reports & Lost Trails