Gladd Ridge / Barrett Spur Loop - Oct. 12

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
kepPNW

Re: Gladd Ridge / Barrett Spur Loop - Oct. 12

Post by kepPNW » October 21st, 2016, 5:09 am

pcg wrote:
kepPNW wrote:... We did go up the southern snout of Barrett, but it's a bit intimidating due to instability. I'd probably have deferred if I were solo, but with three of us at least "someone could report where the body was" I guess. :)
I'm confused. Do you mean you went up either Coe or Ladd Glacier towards Pulpit Rock, then turned back away from Hood and went up Barrett Spur from the Mt. Hood (south) side?
Yep...
  • capture.jpg
    Gladd Ridge on right, Ladd in middle, Barrett on Left.
More photos and trip report.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

pcg

Post by pcg » October 21st, 2016, 3:22 pm

Got it. Did you draw the route on that photo, or somehow project a GPS track on it?
Also, I never knew that ridge had a name - Gladd Ridge. Is that a recent naming? If so, what is the origin?
Thanks. Very nice trip report and photos.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 21st, 2016, 3:56 pm

Thanks!
pcg wrote:Got it. Did you draw the route on that photo, or somehow project a GPS track on it?
That's my GPS track in Google Earth. I use Garmin Basecamp to archive them all locally, and it has an option to send them directly over to GE.
pcg wrote:Also, I never knew that ridge had a name - Gladd Ridge. Is that a recent naming? If so, what is the origin?
Definitely unofficial. I think it was coined here (perhaps by Guy?), due to it being the divider between the Glisan and Ladd glaciers. :)
Karl

pcg

Post by pcg » October 21st, 2016, 7:58 pm

kepPNW wrote:... I use Garmin Basecamp to archive them all locally, and it has an option to send them directly over to GE...

I think it was coined here (perhaps by Guy?), due to it being the divider between the Glisan and Ladd glaciers. :)
Thanks!

-Q-

Post by -Q- » October 21st, 2016, 8:33 pm

kepPNW wrote:Boy does it ever look different up there in October than it does in June! That must've been fun crossing the glacier in those conditions. Couldn't really tell it even was a glacier when we were there. (But the origin of all those rocks was pretty clear, as they came tumbling down towards us all the time. Maybe they were more frozen in place now?) We did go up the southern snout of Barrett, but it's a bit intimidating due to instability. I'd probably have deferred if I were solo, but with three of us at least "someone could report where the body was" I guess. :)
I had intended to downclimb barretts southern snout earlier this year, until I was actually standing there looking at it. That's some gnarly terrain, and I was solo.
Nicely done climbing it.

Peder

Post by Peder » October 21st, 2016, 9:24 pm

-Q- wrote:I had intended to downclimb barretts southern snout earlier this year, until I was actually standing there looking at it. That's some gnarly terrain, and I was solo.
Nicely done climbing it.
Good choice - it is always easier going up than down. It is the kind of terrain that is "easy" in mountaineering terms, but beyond hiking. It is very unstable and the blocks are big, so (great) care is needed is selecting where to place your foot and making sure that you are not pulling the whole slope down on top of yourself. Also, you and your companions should be smart enough not to drop rocks on each other! Although it is not very steep, it can be described as a "vertical minefield" for a hiker.

I would hesitate to go down that way...
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 22nd, 2016, 7:27 am

Peder wrote:Also, you and your companions should be smart enough not to drop rocks on each other! Although it is not very steep, it can be described as a "vertical minefield" for a hiker.
That was of great concern going up! It gave me much relief that you were so far ahead, and I could pretty well stay out of the fall-line below you. But Jack... Heh, no way to control the guy behind you! I was terribly concerned I might kick something loose in his general direction. Really weren't a lot of parallel paths to follow, going up, either.
Peder wrote:I would hesitate to go down that way...
Ditto that!
Karl

-Q-

Post by -Q- » October 22nd, 2016, 10:19 am

Peder wrote:
-Q- wrote:I had intended to downclimb barretts southern snout earlier this year, until I was actually standing there looking at it. That's some gnarly terrain, and I was solo.
Nicely done climbing it.
Good choice - it is always easier going up than down. It is the kind of terrain that is "easy" in mountaineering terms, but beyond hiking. It is very unstable and the blocks are big, so (great) care is needed is selecting where to place your foot and making sure that you are not pulling the whole slope down on top of yourself. Also, you and your companions should be smart enough not to drop rocks on each other! Although it is not very steep, it can be described as a "vertical minefield" for a hiker.

I would hesitate to go down that way...
... Making sure that you are not pulling the whole slope down on top of yourself.

Yes!!
This was a big concern of mine. Not just on Barrett, but on many unstable talus slopes and boulder fields.
Both climbing and descending.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 23rd, 2016, 11:52 am

With all this discussion of the southern end of BS, I thought a pic might be appreciated:
Attachments
IMG_20141108_124127746.jpg
Looking north, up at the end of Barrett Spur.

pcg

Post by pcg » October 23rd, 2016, 12:50 pm

Thank you - perfect pic! Yes, that is the snout, but I don't think the referenced route went up this (south) side of the snout, as that would not be a hike.