Moffett Creek

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
HBOC

Moffett Creek

Post by HBOC » July 6th, 2011, 7:20 pm

I hadn't been to MC before, but as most of us have; I have driven over it 100,234,907 times. Well I made a thread a while ago asking how to get to this falls (other than the obvious - parking along I-84). Well, after doing Ruckel and Middle Ruckel 3 times in two weeks, I decided to cheat and I DID park along the I-84. I backed up and parked behind the guardrail.

For the record, there ARE NO "NO PARKING" signs anywhere around here (atleast on the EB lanes). I got here at like 7pm or so last week. I am pretty crazy and like doing everything the most hard way (and dangerous to boot). I was about to just "slide" down the cliff under the new bridge, but spotted a trail (albeit overgrown) heading back into this "Enchanted Jurassic" as I named this area. Bryan lists this maybe 1/2 mile up creek, but let me tell you I think it is more work to get to this falls than Ruckel, seriously. It took me maybe 30 minutes to go 1/2 mile or whatnot. I traveled through the water though as not to leave any trace I had ever been here - that is the way I always travel. I don't know when the last time anyone was here.

I got here and there were some nice wildflowers. I understand there are a few falls above this one, and I am going to look into that and try to get back there on a cloudy/drizzly day. I usually take summer off for waterfalls (weather sucks as does the water levels), so I may leave this one for fall (for the colours) or next winter/spring.

Now let me be honest here. This place is crazy looking. So close to I-84 but yet secluded. While I was shooting, I got chills for no apparent reason - like something was watching me. I swear I heard some noises, but who knows. In all my hundreds of miles hiking over the years I have yet to encounter an "unexplained" creature, but I swear if you keep hiking up this creek, you may find one.
Attachments
MC1.jpg
MC 4.jpg
MC 2.jpg
Rugget Moffett.jpg

Peder

Re: Moffett Creek

Post by Peder » July 6th, 2011, 10:09 pm

Cool report and great pictures. Between highway parking and high-tech bushwhacking, it sounds like a difficult place to get to! Yet it is only 1/2 mile from I-84! :shock: Well done!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » July 7th, 2011, 12:12 am

Nice stuff Dustin. Looks like a scenic canyon!
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 7th, 2011, 8:50 am

Nice pics and report, Dustin! The flowers really add to the scene, so that's a bonus of going in summer. I think Bryan is probably right about the mileage, though there's a lot of interesting terrain that makes it seems a bit longer, maybe. The giant boulder garden is one of the cooler sights in the Gorge -- makes the trip worthwhile all on its own (and the tops are covered with lilies in spring, oddly enough).

As far as a spooky factor, maybe that's because there WAS somebody up there..? :o :shock: :? It's now pretty well traveled, thanks to the geocache at Wahe Falls, so maybe you did hear somebody above the falls..?

Somewhere in the PH.org archives, I posted some before-and-after photos from the early 1980s and a few years ago, when I went up there with Bryan. I'm pretty sure there was a major blowout in the canyon -- and so maybe that was your spooky vibe? I'll repost them here, since I have no idea where that thread went:

As you can see, it used to be much more secluded around the falls -- and I suspect there are still bits and pieces falling of the slope, too. Definitely a "reactivated" area.

Tom

HBOC

Post by HBOC » July 7th, 2011, 7:20 pm

Wow, that is some crazy changes. Could you imagine what it looked like in the 60s if it has changed this drastically in the last 30 years.

The creek really is in a league by itself. So rugged and looks so untouched (other than by washouts and such). Many photo ops in this area! I will no doubt be back to this place. Heading Westbound, you can pull off and park at the gate (it may not even be locked).

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 7th, 2011, 10:23 pm

Here's a very old trip report that has lost its images, but does give a pretty good idea of the waterfalls upstream from Moffett Falls. The main caution is that Zach (Chameleon) and the other explorers came DOWN the creek and it required rappels to get past some of the waterfalls. Not for the faint of heart..!

Tom :)

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » July 8th, 2011, 1:46 pm

Dustin, your shots of the falls look great! Love the lighting.
Jamey Pyles

HBOC

Post by HBOC » July 8th, 2011, 9:12 pm

Thanks Tom and Jamey! I am going to take some rock climbing classes and was planning on getting some rope as well, as I always find my self in situations I may need it, lol. The link to the archives sounds very enticing, especially without photos. I need to see how to get above the falls (and back down) w/o rope. When I was up there, it was cliffed in. The falls is almost like an amphitheater, but not as drastic as say Abiqua. It wasn't as "cliffed" in as Abiqua though, but probably as high though (the cliffs that is).

I will look into this and hopefully get back here in the next few months.

CuriousGorgeGuide

Post by CuriousGorgeGuide » July 11th, 2011, 10:53 pm

Splinter, you continue to amaze me! Just when i thought it'd be impossible for you to know any more nuances, you avalanche some more nuances down upon my unsuspecting head! Thanks so much for the historic perspective, and the geocache perspective.
I've seen plenty of cars parked along the freeway near the new bridge, most folks probably headed for Munra i reckon. HBOC, you are right that there are no signs....and nobody has reported any trouble with ODOT yet, or any other agency. Cheers, scott

raven

Post by raven » July 11th, 2011, 11:16 pm

Thanks Scott, I've been wondering about the parking scene.