The 844 stairs of Alameda Ridge

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

The 844 stairs of Alameda Ridge

Post by Don Nelsen » April 15th, 2011, 5:45 pm

Taking advantage of what was forecast to be the last dry day for a while I set out on an urban hike last Tuesday afternoon.

I used Stefana Young’s very helpful book “Portland’s Little Red Book of Stairs” to map out the location of a group of 11 staircases. My daughter, Susan, gave this book to me several years ago but this is the first time I’d really taken a close look at it and really mapped out some hikes using the information therein. Very interesting stuff!! Excellent in many regards (except the count of most of number of steps in the staircases is wrong but why quibble a minor point!).

I lived in the Irvington area growing up from age 7 to when I left home at 21 so for years rode all over the area on my bike. I loved riding the streets in the gentle hills of NE Portland and especially the Alameda area. I never took notice of the many staircases that give efficient pedestrian access between streets on Alameda Ridge but with the help of Young’s book and the incentive of the weather window and also limited time and increasingly costly fuel I took a look

I had about a three hour window of time this afternoon to get some exercise so that eliminated driving out to the gorge. I headed to the corner of NE 19th and Mason and tackled my first staircase of the day. After doing it twice I did it again to make sure and headed south and east for the next 10!: My intention wasn’t to do all these stairs twice but when I found that the very first set was off by 6 from the number cited in the book I had to do it again to make sure I was counting correctly. The next set was also off so I ended up doing all eleven staircases twice and a couple of them three times to make sure my count was right. Strangely, only three of the eleven were correct from what Young’s book stated. No big, deal, really, but I like to get things right!

Here is a map of the journey with my track in blue and the locations of the staircases marked with the number of steps in red. My route was exactly six miles and 1,296 vertical feet. You could shorten it only a little bit by taking a little more efficient track:

Here's one of the staircases:

Here's another - Every one is unique:

Part of the fun is seeing the wonderful old homes in the area - this one is right at the top of one of the staircases:

Here's one more staircase:

Most of the stairs in Portland are in clusters so I think I'll take a look at all of the areas. Stay tuned for more "urban hikes!"

-Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

ErinL

Re: The 844 stairs of Alameda Ridge

Post by ErinL » April 15th, 2011, 5:49 pm

Don-

Very cool! I wandered over to some of these staircases last spring using Portland Hill Walks as a guide, and had an absolute blast seeing everything. I didn't know about the book you mentioned though. I will quickly be checking that out. Thanks for posting.

4DMTNS

Post by 4DMTNS » April 15th, 2011, 6:54 pm

Great photos! I love doing urban hikes when time is tight. I've been enjoying Metro's Walk There book and companion website with free PDF maps and descriptions.

Here's the link for their Alameda Ridge and stair walk: http://library.oregonmetro.gov/files/alamedaridge.pdf

Here is the link to the full collection of walks: http://www.oregonmetro.gov/index.cfm/go/by.web/id=27574
I'm almost always the sweep on my hikes ... it gives me an opportunity to taste test all the edible berries I seem to find.

Where's Chris?
Instagram WhereIsChrisNow

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » April 15th, 2011, 7:41 pm

Cool, thanks for sharing! I've been enjoying exploring Portland's staircases the last year or two thanks to Laura Foster's books Portland Hill Walks and just last year The Portland Stairs Book. I'm not familiar with the book you mentioned.

(BTW, for people interested in Laura's neighborhood walks, she's starting to put out iPad/iPhone apps, which is easier than carrying around a book. I think the only one she's done so far is Kenton, but it sounds like she's got more in the works.)

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » April 15th, 2011, 9:02 pm

Grew up on 23rd and Knott and have to say I've been on every one of those stairs. Went to
Alameda Elementary and had lots of friends that lived all around the area. Goldschmidt had a home
up there back in the day too...

HJG0989

Post by HJG0989 » April 15th, 2011, 9:14 pm

I moved near Wilshire Park in January and have been walking to and from work most days (3 miles one way). I often go up and down those stairs. I'm thinking it would be a great place to watch fireworks on the 4th of July.

I love the gargoyles on that house.

AxemanACL

Post by AxemanACL » April 16th, 2011, 8:44 pm

Ah that first set of stairs sets off some memories. That staircase was a staple of early season track practices for Grant. I've ran up those stairs way too many times. That picture of the home is from the top of the first set of stairs if I remember correctly.

mayhem

Post by mayhem » April 17th, 2011, 4:16 pm

Nice very nice! Thanks for sharing....nightmares all over again:)

24 years ago someone told me that NFL Running back Walter Payton was in better shape than anyone else in the NFL because of running stairs! Long story short my goal was to run a set if step stairs that was 200 steps 10x as fast as I could. The steps varied from short to long all the way up. After a few months I tried for 10 & got stuck on 7. I was stuck at the top for at least 1 hour before I could even begin to come down. And then some 70 plus old lady passes me by wondering why can't get down the stairs:)
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 17th, 2011, 7:58 pm

Thank you to everyone who has responded to this report!!

Erin: Thanks for the tip about Portland Hill Walks.

4DMTNS: Thanks for the links - I didn't know about that and will check it out.

Cheryl: Thanks too for the info about Portland Hill Walks and also for the info about The Portland Stairs Book - something else I need to check out.

Eric: Small world - I grew up on 17th and Thompson and my (ex) wife at 22nd and Knott. We bought our first house at 2730 NE Knott in 1973 ($27,500!!!! - should of held on to it!)

HJG0989: Is that house with the gargoyles neat or what! This city is just the best!

Axeman: I west to Grant too - all four years. I wish I had gone out for track, too, but just had too many other things in the fire back then.

Mayhem: Good story! I know what you mean and it happened to me back in the day. I lived on the NE side of Mt. Tabor for a few years and practiced for mountain climbing treks by doing the nearly 300 stairs up to the top just a few blocks from my home. One day I did them many times without a rest (don't remember how many times but it was a lot) and it just about killed me! Oh the memories!

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

mayhem

Post by mayhem » April 20th, 2011, 10:04 am

mayhem wrote:Nice very nice! Thanks for sharing....nightmares all over again:)

24 years ago someone told me that NFL Running back Walter Payton was in better shape than anyone else in the NFL because of running stairs! Long story short my goal was to run a set if step stairs that was 200 steps 10x as fast as I could. The steps varied from short to long all the way up. After a few months I tried for 10 & got stuck on 7. I was stuck at the top for at least 1 hour before I could even begin to come down. And then some 70 plus old lady passes me by wondering why can't get down the stairs:)
I guess things do not change!
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magaz ... f=magazine
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!