Is camping on the beach legal?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
stephkay

Is camping on the beach legal?

Post by stephkay » May 26th, 2010, 10:56 am

I was planning to do a Seaside to Manzanita backpacking trip...but just found out the campground at Oswald West State Park is closed due to danger of falling trees...I've been told you can camp on the beach, so I called Parks and Rec to find out for sure. The woman said beach camping was not allowed. Then I found the following information online..."Beach camping is free but only where out of sight of residences and not adjacent to state parks. This limits camping on some areas of the trail to developed campgrounds. The State of Oregon has stated its intention to create more primitive and free camping areas."

IS THIS TRUE? Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the Oregon State Law in case we are stopped while camping on the beach. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much in advance.

retired jerry

Re: Is camping on the beach legal?

Post by retired jerry » May 26th, 2010, 10:59 am

I'de just camp on the beach and not worry about it since that what they say online.

However, I would never camp on the beach because occasionally a big wave will wash over you, a rude awakening.

Pnw.hiker

Post by Pnw.hiker » May 26th, 2010, 11:21 am

stephkay wrote:IS THIS TRUE? Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the Oregon State Law in case we are stopped while camping on the beach. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much in advance.
I don't know where you find a copy of the law, but this is from one of the OCT maps;
"Beach camping is restricted within city limits, state park boundaries, and near snowy plover habitat areas (avoid orange fenced areas during nesting). Fires are not allowed upwind or near driftwood piles."
http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/PARKS/docs/OCT_8_comb.pdf

If you can, go further south where there's fewer people.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » May 26th, 2010, 12:10 pm

Camping outside designated campgrounds is forbidden in Clatsop County by county ordinance, unless that ordinance has recently been repealed.

I've read in several places (Bonnie Henderson's guidebook being one) that you cannot beach-camp within 1/4 mile of any state park or within sight of any private residence, which really limits where you can camp on the northern Oregon coast!

Do watch those tide tables; if there is a "minus" low tide, the corresponding high tide will cover most or all of the beach!

There is a lot of mostly "wilderness" beach in southern Oregon, between Florence and Cape Blanco, where US 101 runs several miles inland from the coast. It's not true wilderness, but a lot of it is pretty lonely. The main problem is getting across rivers and estuaries. Doug Lorain's "Backpacking Washington" describes a trip down there. And there is the Bayocean Spit, which may be wall-to-wall tents this weekend if the promised good weather arrives.

I really need to write up my recent dayhike on the Oregon Coast Trail between Whalehead Cove and House Rock. I'll try to get that done before I take off for the coming weekend! While I did see a couple of places where a very small tent could be squeezed into the brush for "stealth camping," there's really no place for backpackers to camp along that highly scenic stretch (Gold Beach to Brookings).

pdxflowergirl

Post by pdxflowergirl » May 26th, 2010, 3:39 pm

Several years ago, I camped in the woods adjacent to the Short Sands beach because all of the campsites were occupied by surfers who seemed to have taken up temporary residency there :0) Though we were not the only people doing this, I was so worried about camping "illegally" and getting fined that I wasn't able to sleep at all! But that's just my personality as I seem to be the person who rarely is a rule-breaker, but usually gets caught when I do.
Kam

bcostley

Post by bcostley » May 26th, 2010, 4:09 pm

stephkay wrote:IS THIS TRUE? Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the Oregon State Law in case we are stopped while camping on the beach. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much in advance.
It is absolutely against the law to camp on the beach adjacent to state parks. This includes the state waysides. I don't have the reference handy, but I found it in the OAR (OR administrative rules) online last year when looking into doing a OCT segment. The _potential_ top fine/jail time is pretty hefty too.

bcostley

Post by bcostley » May 26th, 2010, 4:24 pm

Here you go for camping in certain areas. I haven't found the state park rules yet and have to log off.

736-030-0020

Prohibition of Camping

Overnight camping, including overnight sleeping in tents, driftwood shelters, sleeping bags, recreational vehicles, trailers or automobiles, on the ocean shore within the city limits of Cannon Beach, Lincoln City, Seaside, Newport, Bandon, Gold Beach, Rockaway Beach and Manzanita is prohibited.

Stat. Auth.: ORS 390.660
Stats. Implemented: ORS 390.124 & ORS 390.660
Hist.: PR 11-1994, f. 11-29-94, cert. ef. 12-1-94; PR 3-1997, f. 11-5-97, cert. ef. 11-10-97

736-030-0095

Prohibition of Camping on Beaches in Clatsop County

Camping on the ocean shore between the Necanicum River and the South Jetty of the Columbia River is prohibited. For the purposes of this rule, camping includes, but is not limited to, erecting a tent or temporary shelter or arranging bedding, or both, or parking a recreation vehicle or other vehicle in such a manner as will permit remaining overnight, or for other extended periods.

Stat. Auth.: ORS 390.635 & ORS 390.660
Stats. Implemented: ORS
Hist.: PRD 3-1999, f. & cert. ef. 5-11-99

736-030-0100

Prohibition of Camping on Beaches in Tillamook County

Camping on the ocean shore between the north boundary of the City of Manzanita and the Neahkahnie Mountain headland is prohibited until such time as the adoption of a comprehensive ocean shore management plan may allow camping in the above area. For purposes of this rule, camping includes, but is not limited to, erecting a tent or temporary shelter or arranging bedding, or both, or parking a recreation vehicle or other vehicle in such a manner as will permit remaining overnight, or for other extended periods.

Stat. Auth.: ORS 390.124
Stats. Implemented: ORS 390.365 & ORS 390.660
Hist.: PRD 11-2000, f. & cert. ef. 9-27-00

http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/rules/OAR ... 6_030.html

romann

Post by romann » May 26th, 2010, 6:42 pm

What's the exact meaning of "camping on the ocean shore"? Does it mean camping in the tide zone only, or includes camping in the dunes above the shoreline, or within some greater distance from the ocean? I've found several fire remnants in the dunes just above North Cannon Beach (these are probably illegal anyway because they were in plain sight of homes). But if I camp somewhere in the hills with the view of ocean but outside of state parks and populated areas, and outside the tide zone, is it "camping on the shore"?

What's funny, if you can sleep without a tent or sleeping bag (or maybe bring more warm clothes), it looks that by the letter of law it's not considered camping so it's OK anywhere :idea:

bcostley

Post by bcostley » May 26th, 2010, 8:34 pm

State Park rule:

736-010-0050

Overnight Use

(1) Overnight use is not permitted on the ocean shore abutting park areas, or in any park area not designated for camping.

(2) A person must comply with seasons, overnight length of stay, and camper checkout times.

(3) Overnight facilities shall be occupied by paid customers or permitted visitors only.

(4) Owners of vehicles in a campground later than 10:00 PM are subject to overnight use fees.

(5) A park employee may authorize more than one vehicle to occupy an individual campsite. Individual campsites shall be occupied by no more than one recreational vehicle at the same time, unless authorized by a park employee.

(6) A maximum of eight individuals may occupy one campsite unless otherwise specified by the park manager.

(7) Quiet hours are 10:00 P.M. to 7:00 A.M.

(8) Campsites must be occupied the first night after any belongings are left in the site. If a person has failed to pay camping rental rates for two consecutive days or has exceeded the length of stay time limit the department may have all possessions removed from the campsite at the owner's expense. The department will not be responsible for any loss or damage to possessions.

(9) Campers must be 18 years of age or older to reserve and register for campsites, cabins, yurts, and other overnight facilities in parks areas.

(10) The registered camper will be responsible for the activities of all users of the site.

(11) The park manager may require that all food, garbage and equipment used to cook or store food, when not attended, be placed in a vehicle or hard sided camping unit.

Stat. Auth: ORS 390.124
Stats. Implemented: ORS 390.111
Hist.: 1 OTC 17, f. 12-20-73; 1 OTC 23, f. 2-19-74; 1 OTC 56 (Temp), f. & ef. 4-4-75; 1 OTC 59, f. 8-1-75, ef. 8-25-75; 1 OTC 74, f. & ef. 4-30-76; 1 OTC 2-1980, f. & ef. 1-4-80; PR 9-1981, f. & ef. 4-6-81; PR 5-1983, f. & ef. 3-30-83; PR 3-1984, f. & ef. 3-5-84; PR 1-1990, f. & cert. ef. 5-14-90; PR 1-1992, f. & cert. ef. 2-14-92; PR 13-1993, f. 7-12-93, cert. ef. 8-2-93; PR 2-1995, f. & cert. ef. 1-23-95; PR 3-1996, f. & cert. ef. 5-13-96; PRD 4-2001, f. 2-28-01, cert. ef. 3-1-01; PRD 4-2005, f. & cert. ef. 5-5-05