Hamilton Mountain & Phlox Point 04/18/10

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Guy

Hamilton Mountain & Phlox Point 04/18/10

Post by Guy » April 19th, 2010, 7:21 pm

So we got the idea for Sundays hike from VanMarmot's March report. We set out from the Hamilton Mountain Trailhead at about 8:45am & made our way to Hardy & Rodney Falls.

Image Image

Not long after the Falls you get "Hobson's Choice" :D

We enjoyed the climb up Hamilton, lots of little spur trails to explore & great views to take in.

As we approached the top we got some great views of Table Mountain to the East but the Wind was pretty strong on top so we didn't linger for long. We made our way to the Saddle Junction were the views were also great & the wind wasn't nearly as bad so we stopped for lunch.

After lunch we headed on down Dons Cutoff Trail & then up & over the new bridge discussed in other recent posts.

The lower end of the new connector trail is still quite basic but an army of volunteers are working their was down from the top to the bottom.

Climbing again, we didn't meet any hikers on the connector trail but once on the Hardy Ridge Road/Trail we ran into a steady stream of hikers heading up the ridge. We made our way along the ridge and up to Phlox Point. looking back down the ridge we were also treated to great views of Hamilton we we had been a few hours before.

The return trip was uneventful, back down the trail & road to the junction with the Hardy Creek Trail, then back on down to the Falls & trailhead. The final mile between the falls & the trailhead was very busy with a lot of people heading up to the falls at 4:00pm, I'm always thinking of home by 4:00pm!

Back at the car we decided that a reward was in order for our 2 summit day :)

If anyone has done this route with a GPS I'd love to know what you came up with mileage & elevation wise. VonMarmot estimated it at 12.5 miles & 3900 feet but my legs say it was a bit more than that but those up down & up again hikes always seem a bit harder!

More photos of the day live here.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

BrianEdwards

Re: Hamilton Mountain & Phlox Point 04/18/10

Post by BrianEdwards » April 22nd, 2010, 12:28 am

Great Photos! Rodney Falls looks like quite a site, thanks for sharing
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 22nd, 2010, 2:24 pm

Hello Guy,

Nice report and photos - looks like you two had a great hike.

I get 13.1 miles which includes the short side trip to Rodney Falls. There has been a bit of trail realligment on the section from the end of the road to the saddle on Hardy Ridge but I don't think it changed the distance more than a few 100th of a mile. I get 13.4 miles if you retraced your route back over the new bridge instead of continuing down the road to the trail on the east side of Hamilton. Either, way, good job.

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Guy

Post by Guy » April 22nd, 2010, 6:17 pm

Thanks Brian & thanks for the mileage check Don. Yeah as many already know it's a great area numerous different loop options.

They sure seem to be spending some money in that area, its hard to turn a corner without running into a sign :) .. & that new Bridge is a sight to see, Oh for something a 10th as good over Oneonta Creek to the Horse Tail Creek Trail!!

Since it's been in the news today here is a zoomed in photo I took of Elowah Falls from Hamilton Mountain. You can also make out Upper McCord & actually it looks like there are a couple of drops in between that I hadn't noticed before.
DSC00609a.jpg
Cheers.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » April 23rd, 2010, 12:12 pm

Good eye on those upper waterfalls at Elowah, Guy -- the first one is visible from below, of course, but not the other two. This might provide the answer to Bryan Swan's question about why the height of Elowah has always seemed on the high side -- there looks to be a good 50-60 feet in collective drops if you add those three tiers to the total. You can see the top of the upper tier from the upper falls viewpoint (shown here as one horsetail, in profile), and they're definitely very compact in spacing, and clearly separate from the upper falls by a good 70-100 yards of stream.

Great photos from your loop -- that shot looking toward Hood from Phlox Point is always a classic. Very nice!

Tom :)

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » April 24th, 2010, 6:40 am

Guy wrote:So we got the idea for Sundays hike from VanMarmot's March report.

If anyone has done this route with a GPS I'd love to know what you came up with mileage & elevation wise. VonMarmot estimated it at 12.5 miles & 3900 feet but my legs say it was a bit more than that but those up down & up again hikes always seem a bit harder!
My 12.5 mi estimate was a best guess, given that I've been unable to convince the powers that be that a new GPS is critical to my well-being. Nice to see that my estimate was not wildly out-of-line with Don's GPS-based measurement. I think any time you put a big up & down in the middle of a hike, it makes the whole hike seem just a bit harder.