Herman Creek gets curiouser and curiouser…

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Don Nelsen

Herman Creek gets curiouser and curiouser…

Post by Don Nelsen » February 7th, 2010, 7:26 pm

I went up to Herman Saturday to do a little warm-up for a larger trip Sunday and got more than I bargained for.

To start with, about 9:30 I was about to pull into the Starbucks just east of Lombard and Farmington in Beaverton when I saw a van coming at me about 70 mph or more. Smoke was pouring out of one of his front tires and a half dozen police were hot on his tail. I decided the center turn lane was a bad place to be so quickly entered the Fred Meyer lot and watched the action go by. He crashed into the back of another van at Lombard and was quickly dealt with by the police. Hmmmm… Could this be an omen portending an even more exciting day?... (Not really hiking related, but an entertaining start to a day of hiking...)

The plan was to check out a few spots on Herman creek between the road and the footbridge and later try to get a good measurement on the newly found falls on Camp Creek. Anyway, I followed the connecter trail to the PCT to a spot where there is a very old abandoned road crossing the trail and an old camping spot. There, I found a steep game trail down to the creek. Surprise!: The wooden pipeline I tried to follow on earlier trips was right there at the bottom of the bank. Previously I’d found that this 26” ID pipe ends at the powerline road but I’ve never managed to track it past a cliffy section about 1,000’ above the powerline road.

I went downstream following the pipe until I came to an impassible mess of downed trees and bank washout.

I could see the pipe continuing on the other side past where it too was washed out. This messy section of creek has a half dozen drops no more than 6 feet or so but no falls worthy of the name.

I turned around and hiked upstream and found the uppermost section of the pipe and evidence of a long destroyed dam at approx 540’ elevation. Part of the mystery solved. Evidently, the dam was once the source of some kind of ambitious water supply for unknown purposes. Here's a pic of the pipeline a short distance above the powerline road:

And the lower end of the pipeline:

I did not understand why such a large pipe ended in a 2” valve – Just didn’t make sense and besides, now I knew the drop was only about a hundred feet to that valve. – 100 feet of water gives about 45 pounds pressure – about what the average house would have and a little weak at that. More later….

So, now to climb out of the streambed. I tracked a game trail with hopes to find a shortcut to continue up the Herman Creek trail. No such luck! I soon ran into an impressive wall of vertical cliffs:

I traversed until I found a break and made my way back to the Herman Cr.Trail but now it was starting to drizzle. I did not want to get as soaked as last time time so I gave up on Camp Creek and opted to hike trail 400 for a few miles east. After 7 miles of that, I headed back to where I knew the wooden pipeline ended at the powerline road in hopes of solving more of the mystery. I ‘whacked through a thicket to where it should be if it continued down the hill and voila! I found concrete supports in a direct line down the hill then a remnant of a 19” diameter steel pipe. Image

Seems the wooden line segued to steel when the pressure was too great for wood. There is a concrete support every ten feet or so all the way to the remnants of the foundation of an ancient powerhouse, elevation approx. 130’.

Wow, over 400’ of drop would give about 180 pounds/square inch pressure – that’s enough to run a large capacity Pelton wheel. Must have been a major operation! A fun day in the woods, for sure. I wonder what more there is to find out there.....

The map:

Last edited by Don Nelsen on February 7th, 2010, 7:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

anna in boots

Re: Herman Creek gets curiouser and curiouser…

Post by anna in boots » February 7th, 2010, 7:32 pm

You're way off, Don. That's obviously a Mayan sacrificial altar. Good thing it wasn't a solstice day or equinox or something similarly powerful and spooky and in need of human offering. You were lucky to get out alive!

(snigger)

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » February 7th, 2010, 7:42 pm

anna in boots wrote:You're way off, Don. That's obviously a Mayan sacrificial altar. Good thing it wasn't a solstice day or equinox or something similarly powerful and spooky and in need of human offering. You were lucky to get out alive!

(snigger)

anna in boots
Anna, OMG! - Isn't it exactly half way between the solstice and the equinox? Well, the day started out weird, for sure!

Don

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » February 7th, 2010, 7:58 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
anna in boots wrote:You're way off, Don. That's obviously a Mayan sacrificial altar. Good thing it wasn't a solstice day or equinox or something similarly powerful and spooky and in need of human offering. You were lucky to get out alive!

(snigger)

anna in boots
Anna, OMG! - Isn't it exactly half way between the solstice and the equinox? Well, the day started out weird, for sure!

Don
A close shave for sure, Don. On the other hand, I have the utmost confidence in your ability to out-hike any Mayan high priest with a bone knife. Long bird feather robes and twine sandals are no match for Columbia sportswear and Vibram soles.

anna in boots

cfm

Post by cfm » February 7th, 2010, 8:21 pm

I like the pipe and the cliffs Don.

Thanks for sharing.

Say,have you ever walked above the old elevated wooden pipeline in Hood River that leaked and sprayed out water. They finally replaced it a few years ago, but it was sure fun on a hot summer day:

This is a picture of my friend Bob's daughter running the leaky portion of the penstock:

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » February 7th, 2010, 8:23 pm

cfm wrote:I like the pipe and the cliffs Don.

Thanks for sharing.

Say,have you ever walked above the old elevated wooden pipeline in Hood River that leaked and sprayed out water. They finally replaced it a few years ago, but it was sure fun on a hot summer day:

This is a picture of my friend Bob's daughter running the leaky portion of the penstock:
That looks awesome! Almost makes me wish for a 90 degree day. Almost.

anna in boots

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » February 7th, 2010, 8:51 pm

Excellent finds, Don! Amazing how much hardware has survived a century or more of rain, moss and... more rain and moss! What drives me nuts is KNOWING that photographs were taken of old structures like the one that stood on your foundation, but they're generally lost in boxes, unlabeled... or worse.

From your map, it looks like you're right on top of the work center -- I wonder if it was sited here by virtue of being an old mill or cannery, complete with plumbing of sorts? Is that the frontage road in the background..? Might have to sneak in there for a look...

BTW, I haven't hiked it, but the Lowe books points to a trail with a single switchback leading from the work center up to the Herman Creek Trail, just a few dozen yards from the campground trailhead. I've seen the top, and it looks like a decent trail. Someday, I'd love to see it officially opened for winter use when hikers are already parked at the bottom of the hill -- more direct, and much more scenic than the paved campground road.

Tom

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » February 7th, 2010, 8:54 pm

cfm wrote:I like the pipe and the cliffs Don.

Thanks for sharing.

Hi Jen,

I sure have - took the kids up there three or four times and hiked it to the upper end. Lots of fun! Too bad it's gone - replaced with a boring steel pipe.

-Don

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » February 7th, 2010, 9:15 pm

Splintercat wrote:Excellent finds, Don! Amazing how much hardware has survived a century or more of rain, moss and... more rain and moss! What drives me nuts is KNOWING that photographs were taken of old structures like the one that stood on your foundation, but they're generally lost in boxes, unlabeled... or worse.

From your map, it looks like you're right on top of the work center -- I wonder if it was sited here by virtue of being an old mill or cannery, complete with plumbing of sorts? Is that the frontage road in the background..? Might have to sneak in there for a look...

BTW, I haven't hiked it, but the Lowe books points to a trail with a single switchback leading from the work center up to the Herman Creek Trail, just a few dozen yards from the campground trailhead. I've seen the top, and it looks like a decent trail. Someday, I'd love to see it officially opened for winter use when hikers are already parked at the bottom of the hill -- more direct, and much more scenic than the paved campground road.

Tom
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the kind compliments! Yes, it's amazing what's out there and so much more to find - I just post a small fraction of what I do and find - so little time....

The foundation is just few feet from the frontage road and not even a bushwhack from there - It's more or less brushed out.

The original trail started just below the work center and was moved to the west side of the work center parking lot sometime later. I used to hike from there in the late 70's and early 80's. Don't know when it got moved to the present location. Originally it started at the level of the frontage road at what was probably the original TH parking. Coincidentally, I took the old trail on my return today! I've colored the old trail section green on the map.

-don