Duncan Creek- Private Property

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
The C-Ws

Duncan Creek- Private Property

Post by The C-Ws » November 28th, 2009, 9:43 am

I was at Duncan Creek yesterday and found a cable across the trail with a new-looking "no trespassing" sign. Does anyone know if this is private property? I've always thought it was public land. The campsite at the trailhead looked in pretty bad shape, I wonder if the landowner got tired of people camping there and closed it to the public?

Thanks,

--Casey

Sore Feet

Re: Duncan Creek- Private Property

Post by Sore Feet » November 28th, 2009, 1:48 pm

Its all within the CRGNSA, but the creek does wind in and out of GPNF land, including right along the road, so I suppose it is possible that it is on private land for a brief stretch. The creek crosses back into National Forest land about 1/3 of a mile upstream of the road, so if it is indeed private, the lower falls are on private property but the upper falls should be on public land - we just would have to find a new route.

cfm

Re: Duncan Creek- Private Property

Post by cfm » November 30th, 2009, 7:09 am

Casey,

There is an upper access point. Go uphill on the gravel road about a half mile and park on the left at two cement barricades next to a holly tree. There is a sign prohibiting motor vehicles there. Hike up the old road, which ends at a nice grassy campsite, then you go through a lovely alder grove, an old homesite and cross a footbridge to get to Duncan Creek.