Plinth at Starvation Falls

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
Bosterson

Plinth at Starvation Falls

Post by Bosterson » March 3rd, 2019, 11:39 pm

What is this? Noted it yesterday from the waterfall viewing spot at the stone wall under Starvation Creek Falls - it's slightly up the hill under the near side of a rock. What is it? Old support for a staircase or bridge from an old trail that went higher, or something like that?
plinth.jpg
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

bobcat

Re: Plinth at Starvation Falls

Post by bobcat » March 4th, 2019, 1:19 pm

My guess is that it's a cistern that fed water to the picnic area. However, the CCC built the structures here, and there was a trail that passed the foot of the falls on a bridge. Apparently that bridge soon collapsed, and there hasn't been an official trail there since the 1940s.

Chip Down

Re: Plinth at Starvation Falls

Post by Chip Down » March 7th, 2019, 8:26 pm

Ha!
How funny.
I stopped by there at the end of a recent hike (probably drunk and waiting to sober up so I could drive home :lol: ) and saw that. Wondered how I could have missed it before. So when I saw Bosterson's inquiry, I was greatly amused.

Incidentally, Bosterson, you must have noticed the gully east of the falls. I keep wanting to go up there, maybe follow the creek, cross over to Starvation Ridge, whatever.
Attachments
WTF.jpg