Big Indian Gorge Hike

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
birdhiker

Big Indian Gorge Hike

Post by birdhiker » June 6th, 2017, 6:51 am

I need to figure out how to shrink photos to add them here, did it once so just need to recall how. However I thought I would mention how I accessed the Big Indian Gorge this weekend down on Steens Mountain. I saw a few folks turned back due to high water in the creeks. The trail crosses the creek to avoid a shoulder that sticks out to the side of creek. It is way to steep for the trail. All I did was hike up and over the shoulder. About a mile of x country scrambling. On the way into gorge I made the mistake of staying to low. I had to cross very loose rock and soil on very steep slopes. I all but gave up when I hit a wall of brush. I decided to scramble up a bit higher instead. Go up to the rock outcroppings and stay below the rocks, in the juniper and grass. It is still very steep, and you need to watch every step. But it is much easier, and you avoid lengthy crossings of loose rock and soil. On my return I kept up high, every time I had to dip down to avoid a rock or juniper, I angled back up again. You have to hold on with uphill hand a few times, but it is a doable trek. Horses can make the creek crossing, but I was the only human on foot up in the gorge that day. Beautiful as ever.

bobcat

Re: Big Indian Gorge Hike

Post by bobcat » June 7th, 2017, 6:23 pm

Nice to see something from Steens. Let's hope you can get those pictures up!