White River Canyon - Snowshoe - 1/2/2016

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
scottscofield062004

White River Canyon - Snowshoe - 1/2/2016

Post by scottscofield062004 » January 3rd, 2016, 5:15 pm

Greetings, Hikers!

I Joined "Meetup.com" - found a group dedicated to hiking in the NW - and joined them Saturday for a small-group snowshoeing experience in the White River Canyon! We had a great time - and if you're new to snowshoeing - this would be a perfect introductory hike!

Just a couple of comments first, though, about being out and about in the winter - I've taken solo hikes before based on trip reports from others, and maybe I wasn't completely aware of the risks at hand on particular trails. So - major winter hazards are unpredictable weather (and route finding), avalanches, rock fall, hypothermia, and (particularly around trails, etc) tree wells. Just because anyone files a trip report with beautiful pictures and seemingly had an effortless hike in the wilderness - doesn't mean that real hazards don't exist - THEY DO!!

There is an infinite number of resources on the internet - and I have a number of books I'd recommend as resources: "Mountaineering; Freedom of the Hills", "Alpine Climbing: Techniques to take you higher", and "The Backpacker's Field Manual" (Rick Curtis). Books are great, but you have to gradually build your experience with the skills as well.

Be careful - understand how to avoid the risks mentioned above, and others, and try to do first hikes/snowshoe/climbs with someone with experience at that particular skill and knowledge of that particular environment. No one gains experience by making their first attempt their last attempt. Winter wilderness travel is inherently dangerous - we have to respect that!

Having said that ( :o ) : The White River Canyon was beautiful yesterday!!! (Yay!)

Trail head: White River West Sno-Park is located on Oregon Highway 35 approximately 4 miles north of US Highway 26.
WR34comp.jpg
Sno-park sign
This is an EXTREMELY popular destination for sledding and general snow play within the first 1/2 mile of the canyon - so the parking lot can be chaotic - get there earlier!!:
WR1comp.jpg
Full parking lot
While Portland and the West side of the Mountain experienced wind gusts to 40 mph - White River Canyon had little to no wind!! There are multiple trails within the canyon - we followed what is locally known as "Boy Scout Ridge" (the southwest ridge of the canyon).:
600px-BoyScoutRidgeSnowshoe.jpg
Trail map
Hiking up the canyon is a gentle uphill trek - with one sledding hill on the left ridge that is a bit steeper. There are a set of power lines you'll see at about the 1.5 mile point up the trail (3 mile hike if you turn around there). Or, you can continue up the trail to a set of view points for dramatic views of the White River Glacier and outstanding views of Illumination Rock and the summit features of Mt Hood. I was able to make out the upper end of the Palmer Lift - Timberline Lodge up and over the moraines to the west.

Our group heading out:
WR5comp.jpg
Our group
Views up and down the canyon:
WR11comp.jpg
Up the canyon!
WR13comp.jpg
Down the canyon toward Hwy 35
WR17comp.jpg
closer up the canyon
Trail is clear, with lots of opportunities to explore the ridge (being mindful of tree wells and avalanche potential the closer you get to the secondary slopes of the ridge):
WR24comp.jpg
Great trail!
Great view of Mount Hood:
WR18comp.jpg
Mt Hood
Our group photos:
WR28groupcomp.jpg
Our group
WR32comp.jpg
Heading back to the trail head:
WR27group2comp.jpg
Headed back down the trail
Round trip we were out for about three hours - though if one was to get an early start, this could be an awesome 5 or 6 hour hike.

Temps were in the upper teens - no wind - and while there were A LOT of people at the trail head and first 1/2 mile - after that it dwindled to small groups doing what we were doing - snowshoeing - and it didn't feel crowded.

Great time - and fully endorse this as a great first snowshoe experience - or just a great hike in general for fantastic views of Mt Hood, permitting!

Last note: Hwy35 and Hwy 26 are really the only access to and from the mountain. The traffic can be HORRENDOUS!! Plan accordingly!! The lifts at Mt Hood Meadows, Timberline and Ski Bowl open at 0900 and the day shift skiing ends at 1600 - traveling during those times will put you in bumper to bumper (stop and stop) traffic!

Ciao'

Scott

Chip Down

Re: White River Canyon - Snowshoe - 1/2/2016

Post by Chip Down » January 3rd, 2016, 7:35 pm

Regarding the parking lot pic:
Oh hell no. I'm not doing that. Last time I went hiking (yesterday) I saw some footprints, and one other parked car, but that was all. If I ever saw a parking lot like that, I'd move on to Plan B. Heck, I didn't even see another human the last time I went up the Ramona Falls trail.

Regarding White River:
Yeah, it's a good destination. Nice views, interesting topography. Many years ago, it was my new years day destination, and I sweated buckets (partly exertion, partly fear).

Regarding weather:
No wind? On 1/2/16? That's weird. It was extremely windy at lower elevations. Although I must admit it wasn't terrible in the foothills. Maybe it was a rare day when the wind speed was inversely related to altitude.

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » January 4th, 2016, 12:02 pm

Beautiful pictures! I was there on New Year's Day. I think we arrived around 9:30 to find only about a dozen cars in the parking lot, but several hours later when we returned it was completely full as in your photo. We didn't see many other people until the final 1/2 mile or so as you noted. We started on the well established track by the river, but fairly shortly climbed up onto apparently Boy Scout Ridge. Were in trees for a bit but eventually got above tree line. Went right thru open meadowy area that the PCT/Timberline Trail traverses. It was quite windy once we were out of the trees. Eventually could see Silcox Hut and Timberline Lodge. Absolutely gorgeous day. The White River drainage is a fairly desolate moonscape in the summer, looks wonderful with a white blanket covering it. The mountain itself also looks lovelier all covered in white.

scottscofield062004

Post by scottscofield062004 » January 5th, 2016, 6:02 pm

Hi "OlderthanIusedtobe" :)

That was my first time up the White River - I was impressed with the views! We had a mixed-ability group and somewhat of a later start...but from where our group stopped - I could see the trail extend up to the larger moraines - up to the Timberline trail/PCT as you said - I've filed that away for a solo/small group early start hike in the near future!!

Thank you for your comments!

Scott

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » January 6th, 2016, 10:12 am

I'd only been there once before, in June of last year. Started at Timberline Lodge and followed the TT to the canyon and up the other side to the next ski area. Very different experience summer vs. winter.

Tilly Jane Trail from the snow park, past the A frame cabin and then up toward Cooper Spur area is another nice snowshoe route, did that one the end of December.

nameless

Post by nameless » January 7th, 2016, 8:38 pm

I was also there for the first time in that meetup group!

It was a great beginners snowshoe hike with the easy distance and elevation gain. Just a little further from where it stops it connects to trail #600, which connects to the PCT about a half mile up the hill to the left.