Three Fingers Lookout (WA) - 7/18/2015

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
northridge

Three Fingers Lookout (WA) - 7/18/2015

Post by northridge » July 23rd, 2015, 11:12 pm

In Google Earth, the lookout located on the south peak of Three Fingers Mountain (WA) looks be be perched quite precariously on a slope, mere seconds from sliding off into the abyss. On Saturday, July 18th, 2015, we set out to find out if the situation was as dire as GE indicated.

The conditions noted in the report below are specific to July 2015. Subsequent years may have dramatically different conditions. What is at present a trail hike could involve significant snow travel, moat shenanigans, route finding issues and need for mountaineering equipment and skills. Do not assume the report below represents typical conditions. The route is popular...always look for recent trip reports prior to going, prepare accordingly and turn back if the conditions you encounter exceed your comfort level, abilities and/or equipment.

The GE imagery used here is dated 7/14/2013. It is interesting to compare the snow pack shown in the GE images with our photos at essentially the same date, two years later. At the present time, the ascent to the Three Fingers Lookout is a hike on a good trail all the way, with three minor exceptions which I will mention over the course of the report. (Gully, Snowfield, and Ladders).

We did the hike in one day with the aid of mountain bikes for the road portion. The approximate mileage (round trip) is 17 miles on the bikes plus about 14 miles on trail. Cumulative elevation gain for the round trip (including the bike portion) is in the ballpark of 6800ft or so depending on how you calculate it. Staying overnight at the lookout, or camping along the route for a two day trip, may be a preferable plan.

Here's the big picture. Road 41 is blocked off just before a bridge which is apparently off the footings, but presumably safe for hikers and bikers. The bike from the closure to the start of trail #641 is straightforward. We walked the bikes a few times on the way up, but it was a blissful descent on the way out.

Our arrival at the road closure was after midnight, and after a brief rest we set out in the dark at 3:45AM. An occasional bat swooped down and checked us out as we biked up the road by headlamp. After 8+ miles and the arrival of dawn we stashed our bikes at the trail head.

The trail is rugged, with a few big blow downs to climb over early on, but really in pretty good shape overall. We arrived at a marked junction shortly before Saddle Lake after about 2.5 miles.

Saddle Lake was pleasant and most importantly somewhat bug free in the early morning hours.

A Google Earth view of Saddle Lake (and Meadow Mountain) provides confirmation they were named appropriately.

Past Saddle Lake there is currently a good water source prior to reaching Goat Flats. Goat Flats appeared to be completely dry. There is a toilet at Goat Flats. The view below is looking back at Goat Flats after we passed through.

A Google Earth view of Goat Flats and the route ahead to the lookout.

Great views of Mt. Pilchuck were had all day. Mt. Pilchuck is an extremely popular and easy hike to yet another lookout.

On the way to Tin Can Gap:

The Google Earth scene from July 2013 is quite snowy, but as we pushed up to Tin Can Gap on the switchbacks there was no snow to be seen, only good trail. At the gap itself, the trail continues. It is best (at the present time) to avoid the lower path and head up to a switchback which traverses under a good water source. Water is also available (for the near future) at a couple other spots before reaching the lookout.

Past Tin Can Gap, the lookout is occasionally in view. In the photo below it can barely be seen on the pointy peak to the left.

Some exposure is encountered along the way past Tin Can Gap.

Looking carefully at the photo below it is possible to make out the switchbacks on the slope ahead.

A Google Earth view of the same scene in 2013, with our 2015 track over-layed:

The trail leads to a gully descent. For the first time, things changed a bit from a hike. The gully descent was no more than class 2, and there is a rope hand line in place. The photo below is looking back up the gully after the descent.

Once past the short gully, it was back on good trail. The Queest Alb Glacier is below the trail.

Looking ahead, one can see the trail crossing the minor saddle in the lower center, then cutting back left.

In Google Earth, the trail cutting back to the left is easily seen. For our trip in 2015, we did not encounter snow until above where the track heads straight up after traversing back right.

A quick look back at where we had just been. The trail is visible coming around on the left and descending to center.

Before reaching the permanent snowfield, the trail curls around an exposed corner.

]Image

The trail reached the permanent snow field. The lookout was visible. We had carried axe and crampons so made use of that gear to ascend the snowfield, but if we had not had the gear it would not have been an issue. Microspikes would be fine and it also appeared there was a viable path hugging the rock to the left. The slope is moderate.

Looking back at the snowfield after the ascent.

At the top of the snowfield it is back on to the lookout trail. Look for cairns to the left.

The trail will lead around an exposed corner and you will face your final obstacle. Three ladders lead to the lookout. The ladders are anchored into a slot in the rock using rope and appear to be quite secure. The orientation of the ladders is awkward. At the top of the second ladder you must squeeze through a narrow slot, then make a single move up to the base of the final ladder.

The top of the third ladder spills you out onto a sloping, smooth rock surface. There are a couple of ropes present to use to pull yourself carefully up to the lookout.

We found the lookout vacant, with all the windows shuttered. We opened one and took in the view of the North Peak.

A previous visitor had left first aid supplies.

Exiting the back door requires a careful step. Do not stumble here.

The pantry is stocked.

Books to read.

The legendary iron.

Whitehorse Mountain, with Mt. Shuksan in the background:

The lookout is well maintained with a fresh coat of paint. Thanks Mountaineers!

Mt. Baker:

Zoom look back at Tin Can Gap and Goat Flats:

Metal bars are supplied to anchor open the shutters.

After an hour or so enjoying the endless views, we carefully descended the ladders and retraced our route back down. The temperatures had warmed considerably, but there was a persistent cool breeze that saved the day.

Zoom shot looking back at the lookout.

Actual size:

Getting farther away:

Ok, another zoom shot. The base of the first ladder can be seen near the center of the photo.

Scenery galore on the hike back out.

On the trail below Saddle Lake, there is a nice view of Three Fingers Mountain. The lookout is on the right peak, of the center three.

Zoom shot of the lookout from the same spot:

Last edited by northridge on July 25th, 2017, 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

justpeachy

Re: Three Fingers Lookout (WA) - 7/18/2015

Post by justpeachy » July 24th, 2015, 5:29 am

Awesome report! Thanks for sharing! I've always wanted to go up there, but all the hiking books say that because of that snowfield you need to have crampons and an ice axe and know how to use them. I have neither, nor do I have any technical climbing skills whatsoever.

I think this location might take grand prize for craziest lookout site ever. It's also amazing that this lookout is even still standing!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 24th, 2015, 5:45 am

yeah, amazing!!!

That doesn't look too difficult for being such an insane route

Intersting collection of stuff there

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » July 24th, 2015, 6:24 am

:o OMG, Having worked a fire tower, I can't help but wonder about supply hauling and resupply. Even today there are lookouts where people haul their supplies in at the start of the season by horse or mule train. I can't imagine how that would work there.
That was a beautiful report! Great detail. What an amazing place.
Woodswalker

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » July 24th, 2015, 6:50 am

Wow, awesome! I had no idea that was there. Is there any climbing on the other peaks, or is it chossy rock?
So this is what passes for via ferrata in this country! :lol:
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

markesc

Post by markesc » July 24th, 2015, 10:02 am

I'd make the helicopter me in a pony keg once a week!!

That's just Astonishing!!!

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 24th, 2015, 5:11 pm

Thanks for the TR! Excellent photos, too. I've wanted to climb that thing ever since I climbed Whitehorse a few years back and saw Three Fingers from there. Your TR gives great route finding info.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

northridge

Post by northridge » July 24th, 2015, 6:23 pm

justpeachy wrote:I've always wanted to go up there, but all the hiking books say that because of that snowfield you need to have crampons and an ice axe and know how to use them. I have neither, nor do I have any technical climbing skills whatsoever.
Excellent point and thanks for raising it.

Having basic snow travel skills is important for the trip, even with the current conditions where the only snow you will step on is the final snowfield. I would certainly recommend that anyone attempting the hike have experience with ice axe/crampon usage such as what would be taught in a basic climbing or backcountry travel course, and have practiced the skills.

The final snowfield was still quite firm when we got up there early in the day, and being able to quickly put on the crampons allowed us to simply walk up the slope and not have need to explore other route options or expend additional energy kicking steps.

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » July 24th, 2015, 7:22 pm

Bosterson--I don't think they are climbed very often, but there are descriptions in the Beckey Guide for both the Middle and North peaks (the lookout is on the South peak). I don't think the area is particularly known for chossy rock.

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » July 24th, 2015, 7:25 pm

Nice TR. I haven't been up there in years. I'm a wimp when it comes to extra road walking or biking in. Too many other good options around here that are more accessible. That is a fun hike though. Rumors around here are that the road might not ever be reopened to the trailhead.

Did you see any marmots between Goat Flats and Tin Can Gap? That area is usually crawling with them when I've been up there. Also there are mountain goats up there at least in recent years, I don't think they were around 10-15 years ago but I've seen several TRs in the last couple years with a herd of them lounging around up there.