409A - Black Lake Trail (Maybe)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
northridge

409A - Black Lake Trail (Maybe)

Post by northridge » October 8th, 2014, 6:51 pm

A few weeks back I posted a report about an attempt to hike all the Oregon gorge numbered trails over the course of the spring and summer. I felt good about the research but assumed there were some obscure ones that were not present in the reference materials I utilized. Sure enough, I noticed one I missed in a map posted by an esteemed member of this community in response to a question about a nearby trail in the Trail Q&A forum.

The trail in question was labeled 409A, and was a short trail which connected the 409 Rainy-Wahtum trail with Black Lake. I had hiked the 409 a couple times in the all trail journey, but had not noticed the 409A. Late last month I drove up to take a look.

The road up to Rainy Lake is generally good, there are only a few short sections that might give a passenger car driver pause. There are multiple junctions that are not signed so looking over a map is useful ahead of time. The short side road up to Rainy Lake is not signed, if you miss it you will end up at the large parking lot at Black Lake, where there is a nice view to the east.
IMG_2189.jpg
There were a few other folks at Black Lake enjoying the sunny day. I followed the nice path on the east side of the lake, past picnic tables and camping sites.
IMG_2194.jpg
Black Lake was remarkably clear.
IMG_2197.jpg
I reached an open area where, if I were the designer of 409A, I would have met up with the lake path. However, there was nothing obvious there as to an incoming trail. I decided to continue around the lake path to see if it circumnavigated the entire lake. The path gradually faded, but was easy to follow around the lake until I encountered a tangle of blowdown and brush on the west side of the lake. I was climbing over a large downed tree when I heard a crashing sound and caught a glimpse of a startled bear making tracks away from the area. I decided I was no longer interested in circumnavigating the lake and backtracked to the open area on the east side.

I had a crude map from the fs.usda site, and made my way up to an old road, occasionally thinking I was on the old trail but never really sure. At the old road I was very near the actual trail and should have scouted further, but I decided to try my luck by starting at the other end of the 409A trail.

I drove back up the road and up the short side road to Rainy Lake.
IMG_2211.jpg
The 409 Rainy-Wahtum trail heads southish on an old road bed. There is a signpost, but no sign. A short distance along the 409 there is a wide turn with an old steel cable wrapped around a tree. I continued on the 409 looking for signs of the 409A. I soon reached an obvious path heading in the direction of Black Lake that I had not noticed when passing by the spot earlier in the summer.
IMG_2200.jpg
I figured this must be it and left the safety of the 409. A short distance down the path there was an ancient sign on a tree.
IMG_2201.jpg
The sign provided no useful information. I hoped it had once said "409A Black Lake Trail" but it also might have said "Do not even think about going past this spot". I continued on.

The path soon faded into a little depression. At first I continued west, then backtracked to the low spot and continued straight south up a little rise where I regained the faint path. The path led through an old clear cut area. Here I found a single boot print that looked fairly fresh. I also thought I smelled the distinct pleasant odor of tobacco pipe smoke.

I pressed on and searched around until I regained the path at the crossing of a tiny creek.
IMG_2205.jpg
From here it was fairly straightforward to follow the path. There was one section of heavy brush, but the path remained evident. There is a large gully prior to reaching Black Lake and the trail crossing is quite noticeable. From there the path fades but if you continue in the proper direction you will run right into the open area where the lake path begins to narrow.

I assume I was on the 409A most of the way, but I have no definitive proof. Maybe there was a super highway trail just yards away from my route. If I was on the 409A is it bordering on "lost trail" classification, but I felt there was enough of it left to add it to my "numbered trail" list.

If you happen to head up to Rainy Lake, it is worthwhile to seek out the 409A and hike down to Black Lake and back. A short little side trip that has some nice rewards. Just watch out for a pipe smoking bear wearing a single hiking boot.

Splintercat

Re: 409A - Black Lake Trail (Maybe)

Post by Splintercat » October 9th, 2014, 5:42 am

Nice report - and I think the very first on this little trail! Thanks for posting... should help put some boots on the trail and hopefully help bring it back from the "almost lost" category. I'd be surprised if this one is still on the USFS maintained list -- did you get the trial number from their website?

Tom :)

northridge

Re: 409A - Black Lake Trail (Maybe)

Post by northridge » October 11th, 2014, 3:21 pm

Doubtful the little trail is on any official maintained list, and if it ever was it has been a long time since it saw any work.

If you visit the Forest Server page for trail #409, there is a link to a PDF of a Trail Description and Map for the Rainy Wahtum Trail. In the map (on the second page of the PDF) Black Lake #409A is noted.