Belknap Crater (7-6)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
nautachris

Belknap Crater (7-6)

Post by nautachris » July 7th, 2014, 1:57 pm

Finally made the move from Lebanon to Bend a few weeks ago, but things have been so busy this has been the first trip report-worthy hike I've gotten out to do. We adopted a rescued boxer/lab mix a week and a half ago, so we've mostly been taking him on training hikes. On Sunday morning, I decided I needed a bit of elevation if in order to relax for a fun afternoon of running errands. Originally I was going to do the entirety of Black Butte from the bottom to the top, but I realized a 3,000+ footer would make me crave nothing but beer, something fried and a couch afterwards. Considering I had to be somewhat productive on Sunday afternoon, I lowered my ambitions to "only" the ~8 miles and ~1950 vertical feet of Belknap Crater. I was out the door by 7:45, and at the parking lot at McKenzie Pass by 8:30. I had never hiked north of the 242 before, but knew what I was getting into. The basic route was north on the PCT then an immediate left onto a cross-country route at the end of the lava. This was following by a ridiculously steep user trail up the south face of Belknap Crater, which was much like climbing the Umpqua Dunes if they were on steroids. Anyway, enough of my blathering and onto the pics...

looking back at the first tree island toward North and Middle Sister

about to enter the lava for good, with Belknap Crater on the left and Little Belknap to the right

not the best place to break a leg with above 80 degrees or around a thunderstorm

more Sisters! Is that the Husband on the right?

junction with the Little Belknap Crater trail - see those diagonal slash-looking things on Belknap? That was the steep-ass route up!

my legs were already weeping in anticipation

this was steep...

making progress!

looking back down toward the start of the sand dune ascent

finally at the western summit...unfortunately Mt. Washington "cone blocks" Mt. Jefferson from this angle, though you can see a bit of Three Fingered Jack to the left

looking down into the crater itself toward my old stomping grounds of Linn County

Sisters from the top...at the bottom left you can see 242 by the parking area

let's get the selfie over with

I'll happily join the Three Sisters fan club...

from the slightly lower eastern summit, you can see a bit more of Mt. Jefferson

about to descent/run/slide down the east side of Belknap where you can find another user trail

not as good as the flower pics from Arches last month, but a worthy effort

a nice snowfield...was tempting to sled on my backpack but realized I wanted to keep my head in one piece

Little Belknap on the left

that horizontal track in the center of the pic was my effort to make my own less-steep trail - let's just say loose cinder is not conducive to off-trailing - I had to give up after 100 yards because it wasn't solid enough to gain any elevation - at least the user trails are slightly more compacted

Mt. Washington from Little Belknap

it'd be a bit cruel to bring dogs on this trail without little boots (or would that be crueler to their self-esteem?) - I did see horse crap though

although Taz didn't come on this hike, he told me he still wanted me to post a pic of him

Bend is great! Lucky we found a place when we did, the rental market is supposedly ridiculously tight, especially here on the "westside" (as the kids who think they're cool call it). I'll be here for about 2 years until my girlfriend starts her residency, needless to say I'll be sad to leave.

Thanks!

Chris Saylor
Bend, OR

Roy

Re: Belknap Crater (7-6)

Post by Roy » July 9th, 2014, 6:19 am

Nice tr Chris that scree reminded me of when they opened MSH for climbing after the eruption. Now it is beat down pretty well up there.

Love that retro photo and enjoy your stay in Bend.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Mariposa Man

Re: Belknap Crater (7-6)

Post by Mariposa Man » July 9th, 2014, 10:45 pm

Nice trip report, Chris. It inspires a trip down memory lane, as I did the hike many years ago. With all the lava it's a different sort of experience, and it definitely leaves you exposed to the elements. My visit then was later in the summer or early fall, when the snow was gone and the trail was a bit dusty. In addition to the summit views, my lasting memory was the porcupine meandering through the rock and across the path. For some reason seeing this animal in this particular environment caught me by surprise.