Duncan Creek

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
K.Wagner

Duncan Creek

Post by K.Wagner » October 13th, 2013, 5:13 pm

Saturday I drove out Hwy 14 to hike up Archer Mtn. After that mostly enjoyable trip (TR is in the works), drove on up the road a few feet on thought that I would hike up Duncan Creek a ways, to see some of the falls that have been written about here. Didn't happen. Evidently the property owner either got tired of picking up trash or they've got something to hide:
14-Duncan_Crk-S.jpg
There is a track leaving the road on the west side of the creek, but don't know if it actually gets you anywhere, and not sure if it is the same property owner.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

mandrake

Re: Duncan Creek

Post by mandrake » October 13th, 2013, 6:35 pm

Last edited by mandrake on May 25th, 2017, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » October 13th, 2013, 7:36 pm

Mandrake,

Just looked it up on the Skamania County property map. That parcel, on the E side of Duncan Crk, is privately owned by Michael & Mark Smith. Everything around it is state property.
Duncan_Crk.jpg
Kelly

Skamania 231

beag

Post by beag » October 13th, 2013, 8:10 pm

There's only 0.60 of an acre that's private. If you go uphill about 100 paces you will find a creek. You can follow a brushed trail from there over to regular trail and avoid the private property. You can also walk or drive about one quarter of a mile uphill and walk up what was the Nellie Corser road which will get you to the creek crossing. I like going in by the little creek because then you wont miss any of the view points. When the creek is too high I go in at the west side of Duncan. There is a bank on the left where I go uphill for a short distance. There is a big blow down which I go under and cross west Duncan on a log. I go upstream for a short distance where there is trail to the right. There is flagging which will take you over to the Russ Jolley trail which links up with the regular trail at the stream crossing. R J built that trail because at that time the 30 acre Nellie Corser property was private.

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » October 14th, 2013, 6:10 pm

beag,

Thanks for filling in the info. Wish I had known that Saturday. Oh well, another reason to make a quick trip out Hwy 14.
Kelly

Skamania 231