7/22/12 Wahtum Lake to Benson Plateau via PCT

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mileagemike25000

7/22/12 Wahtum Lake to Benson Plateau via PCT

Post by mileagemike25000 » July 24th, 2012, 7:37 pm

It was about 67degF and partly sunny in Hood River before we headed up to Wahtum Lake. By the time we arrived at Wahtum Lake it was only 50degF, drizzly and wet with plenty of wind. What a nice late fall day it appeared to be? ;) We quickly added a Smartwool layer and a Gore-tex jacket before heading out on the trail.

We've never been to Benson Plateau and didn't know how far it was. We also started a bit late at just after noon. First, we filled out the wilderness permit before heading out toward the PCT.
1 Wilderness sign-in at Wahtum Lake_(1).JPG
Heading down toward Wahtum Lake I wanted to stop and take a few pictures but there was very low visibility across the lake. :(
2 Wahtum Lake fogged in!_(1).JPG
We quickly moved north on the PCT and intercepted the Herman Creek trail intersection (We need to hike this one day).
3 Herman Creek trail Intersection_(1).JPG
And then continued up the trail around the bend where we intersected the Chinidere Mt. and cutoff trails. We decided not to go up to the Chinidere summit due to the low cloud ceiling and no views! :(
4 Chinidere Mt trail intersection_(1).JPG
The mood on the PCT was quite surreal with plenty of fog. The PCT is in excellent shape for this section of the trail.
5 Low cloud ceiling obstructing views_(1).JPG
6 Love the surreal mood!_(1).JPG
And we reached a rocky stretch of the trail where we were hoping for a view?
7 Reached rock field and a possiblity of views_(1).JPG
These trees looked pretty cool in the fog!
8 I thought the trees looked cool in the fog!_(1).JPG
When we got to the east side of the rocky ridge we didn't immediately have a view.
9 What - No View_(1).JPG
And as we had a snack the cloud ceiling rose up and revealed the beautiful valley below! :o
10 Here we go_(1).JPG
We finally reached an intersection with the Eagle Creek Cutoff where the remains of a cabin stood. My friend told me the name of the cabin (I forgot it) but it's not on any map I have?
11 Campsite at Eagle Creek Cutoff_(1).JPG
After a short distance we finally reached the Benson Way trail intersection. We did explore the trails a bit beyond this sign before turning around.
12 Stopped at the area near Benson Way trail_(1).JPG
Turning back there was a view of the Eagle Creek drainage at the rock field area. I'm glad we didn't miss this view as it would have been a pity.
13 View toward Eagle Creek drainage on way back_(1).JPG
The clouds also lifted at Wahtum Lake! :)
14 Wahtum Lake a bit clearer at end of hike_(1).JPG
It was a great PNW hike and the cool cloudy weather only added to the excitement!

The hike was 11.9 miles with an elevation gain of about 2000ft.
Wahtum Lake to Benson Plateau via the PCT.JPG

sasquatch22

Re: 7/22/12 Wahtum Lake to Benson Plateau via PCT

Post by sasquatch22 » July 24th, 2012, 8:15 pm

Another great trip report and images, Mike. Especially liked images 5 thru 9 - atmospheric. What type of camera do you & your wife use when hiking?

mileagemike25000

Post by mileagemike25000 » July 25th, 2012, 5:03 pm

Sasquatch22 - Thanks! My wife carries an older Sony point & shoot but doesn't take many pictures, which is why I'm rarely in a picture. I carry a Canon 5d MarkIII with a GPS module mounted in the hot shoe and a 24-105mm lens. My outfit weighs about 4 pounds which is why I have added straps to my backpack shoulder pads, so that it is suspended inside a case at about chest height, for quick access. When I feel like going light I replace the zoom lens with a much much lighter and compact 24mm prime lens.

mayhem

Post by mayhem » July 25th, 2012, 5:09 pm

mileagemike25000 wrote:Sasquatch22 - Thanks! My wife carries an older Sony point & shoot but doesn't take many pictures, which is why I'm rarely in a picture. I carry a Canon 5d MarkIII with a GPS module mounted in the hot shoe and a 24-105mm lens. My outfit weighs about 4 pounds which is why I have added straps to my backpack shoulder pads, so that it is suspended inside a case at about chest height, for quick access. When I feel like going light I replace the zoom lens with a much much lighter and compact 24mm prime lens.
Supermilagemmike25000 :). Another great adventure,,
Hey can you post a picture of your camera back pack setup?
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Crusak

Post by Crusak » July 25th, 2012, 9:07 pm

Awesome Job, Mike & Mrs. Mike. :) That's a great out and back hike by the looks of it. I keep seeing Wahtum in TRs and it's calling to me. Been a few years since I was up there. ;)

Yet another great TR!
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

mileagemike25000

Post by mileagemike25000 » July 26th, 2012, 5:20 pm

Thanks Mayhem! I tried modifying a picture of me at Lookout Mt. that shows the Kinesis Holster style case suspended from my backpack. What we did to create each supporting strap was to use 3/4" nylon strapping (that can fit througth the backpack straps) that is constructed as a loop. A cambuckle from REI is used to adjust how far down the camera hangs from the backpack shoulder straps. This nylon loop is fed through the backpack shoulder adjustment strap and supports the camera weight. There is a plastic snap hook (also from REI) that is connected to the D-Ring on the Kinesis Holster case. Sorry if this explanation seems difficult but the actual implementation is very simple. Let me know if you need more info and I'd be glad to take some pictures of the strap by itself along with details of how it fits through the shoulder buckle.
Camera harness setup_(1).jpg
The main disadvantage of this setup is that it blocks the view of your feet and swings forward when you bend over. It also doesn't detach very quicly but you could add some hardware to change this. The main advantages are that it's cheap and it works (I've been using this system for over 3 years and haven't stepped on anything I didn't want to :lol: )! Oh, and you won't look very stylish in this as you can see; but I'm not trying to set a fashion statement! :lol:

Thanks Jim for your kind comments! :) A beautiful lake, that isn't overrun with tourists, and is only a few blocks from the Wilderness and the PCT ... just doesn't get any better than that! :)