Little Huckleberry & Turkeys in the Mist 04-Nov-2012

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Little Huckleberry & Turkeys in the Mist 04-Nov-2012

Post by VanMarmot » November 4th, 2012, 4:34 pm

As Roy would say, it was a "gray jay" day but I went anyway. Plan was to hike Little Huckleberry and do some off-trail exploring. That didn't work out too well. But on the way up the Cook-Underwood Road, a flock (heard? gaggle?) of wild turkeys crossed the road - pretty amazing.

It wasn't exactly raining on the hike up but condensation on the trees produced much the same result. On better days (like last July), the view from the top is well worth it.

But today this was it.

My off trail plans were delayed until another day by the general moistness and by the surprising number of hunters wandering around. Even wearing a bright orange anorak didn't make me feel like crashing through the forest in mist and limited visibility pretending to be a deer (who, from the two I did see, seemed to have taken refuge in Willard). No sense ruining everybody's day. Oh well, I'll just have to live to hike another day. At least I got off my butt for a few hours. 5 mi RT, 2000' EG. Gary day, gray topo.

Last edited by VanMarmot on November 6th, 2012, 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sean Thomas

Re: Little Huckleberry & Turkeys in the Mist 04-Nov-2012

Post by Sean Thomas » November 4th, 2012, 8:21 pm

Awesome report, Van. I am curious what your off trail objectives were? It looks like on a map there is a point just south of the high point the trail reahces and ofcourse the ridge continuing north/northeast towards the monte cristo area etc? It all looks like fun exploring up there for a better weather day:)

mandrake

Post by mandrake » November 4th, 2012, 9:28 pm

Great shot of the turkeys, Van!
I have done a little off-trail on Little Huckleberry several years ago. From the TH, thrashed southeast across the creek and up onto the ridge north of Pt 4491. From there follow the ridge up to the summit. Some pretty cool sections of open ridgeline. Nice to turn the route into a loop.

hlee

Post by hlee » November 5th, 2012, 9:17 am

Turkeys = very cool!

I saw the picture from last July before I read the caption and my face was very :o at the amazing break in weather I thought you got for a second.

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » November 5th, 2012, 11:56 am

Sean Thomas wrote:Awesome report, Van. I am curious what your off trail objectives were? It looks like on a map there is a point just south of the high point the trail reahces and ofcourse the ridge continuing north/northeast towards the monte cristo area etc? It all looks like fun exploring up there for a better weather day:)
Better weather and fewer hunters.

There are three named trails (other than the current trail from the N) near Little Huckleberry on the 1957 Willard 1:62,500 quad that were no longer shown by 1983 - the Cougar Way Creek Trail (which follows the ridge to the NE), the Little Huckleberry trail, and the Oklahoma Trail (which went to Trail Peak and then there was a trail over to the Cougar Way). On the newest maps, where these trails were is now a patchwork of old logging roads. I'd hoped to follow the Cougar Way but it soon became evident that it was a project for a drier day. Eventually, I'd like to try to link any bits of these old trails that still remain together with the newer logging roads to make a loop involving Little Huckleberry. Again, a bluebird day project.

mtnhiker56

Post by mtnhiker56 » November 6th, 2012, 5:57 pm

As far as the turkeys go, if you are a hunter, get your permit and come to my house above Mosier and you can sit on my deck, drink Wild Turkey and get you limit of turkey and..... :roll: