Munra Point 16-Feb-2009

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Munra Point 16-Feb-2009

Post by VanMarmot » February 17th, 2009, 8:48 am

Munra Point combines a good short workout with fun scrambling in a very accessible location. Some of the guidebooks suggest parking along the freeway and then wending your way under it, past Moffet Creek to the Munra Point use trail off of the Gorge Trail (#400). I always just park at Wachella Falls and walk back along the Gorge Trail - adds some level distance and makes for a good warm-up.

Monday was sort of clear in Portland and windy along I-84, so I was hoping that the view from the Point would be clear. But when I emerged on the ridge, this seemed to be a false hope.
Low on Munra ridge.JPG
The trail was clear of snow until about halfway up, then started filling in a bit with snow, but didn't become completly covered until just below the summit ridge.
Munra ridge trail.JPG
I was following some 1-2 day old tracks to the point where the nominally 3rd class chute comes it to view, at which point the tracks turned around and I was left with a expanse of untrodden snow. Here, the chute is just to the left of the outcropping and to the right (and somewhat inside) the trees.
Chute below summit ridge.JPG
It looks intimdating but has plenty of handholds and footholds (which should all be tested before committing). This year it had some crunchy snow in it that made for OK footholds. Last year at this same time it was mostly ice - which caused some real excitement, particularly on the down-climb.
In the chute.JPG
From the chute up the last bit of ridge to the summit was through about 1-2 feet of soft new snow, which yielded up pretty good foot placements as long as I stayed about where the use trail normally is - away from that and things were much slicker (judging from the tracks and disturbed snow, it did look like a previous vistor had taken a slide of about 75 feet from the summit down into the trees?).
West from summit ridge.JPG
There wasn't any view - just a lot of low clouds (but little wind).
Munra summit.JPG
South from summit.JPG
I had originally planned to extend the day by exploring the ridge to the south but wasn't prepared to press my luck on slick snow-covered grass and rocks. Particularly in a cloud with no views. So, back to Portland.
Last edited by VanMarmot on March 3rd, 2016, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

palegreenstarz

Re: Munra Point 16-Feb-08

Post by palegreenstarz » February 17th, 2009, 3:09 pm

Wow, the top looks awesome! Too bad you didn't get a clear day.

I've done Munra twice during the spring/summer time. I haven't wanted to chance it in anything other than dry weather.

Kudos for heading up there in snow conditions!

chameleon

Post by chameleon » February 17th, 2009, 6:31 pm

Great report VanMarmot! Those pics are beautiful! As I was hiking up the Ruckel Creek trail on Monday I looked over longingly at Munra - beautifully snow capped. You probably made the right choice not to follow the ridge to the south on that day. The section right by that rocky fin could have been very slick - you'd probably want an ice axe and crampons.
-Zach

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » February 17th, 2009, 7:21 pm

Nice work VanMarmot. Iv'e done Munra many times but have yet to try it in the conditions you encountered - gutsy move! Nice pics and thank for the report.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » February 19th, 2009, 11:35 am

Thanks to you all. Going to the summit in the right kind of snow is fun, but too much ice is a real show stopper. I had hoped to explore the ridge (after reading about it on the "Lost Trails" forum) and still plan to do so once the weather gets better. I'd really like to do a Munra - Neismith loop, starting from the Neismith trailhead, sometime this summer.

-VM