Scorpions in Oregon

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
Titogoeshiking

Scorpions in Oregon

Post by Titogoeshiking » September 22nd, 2012, 11:27 am

I have never seen a scopion in Oregon till this year. The first was up on Gold butte near Detroit Lake area and now the second one in my own yard (in Welches) on a paper bag in my recycling bin. These things give me the CREEPS!! It was very much alive till I smashed it with the back of an axe.
A physician friend of mine who has his practice in Boardman told me he has treated many cases of scorpion stings and tells me they are not at toxic as the Arizona variety but he has never seen any in western Oregon.
Has anyone else ran across a scorpion in Oregon?
Attachments
scorpion 001 (1024x735).jpg
Welches Scorpion
Gold butte2012 042 (1024x689).jpg
Gold butte scorpion

hlee

Re: Scorpions in Oregon

Post by hlee » September 22nd, 2012, 2:55 pm

:shock: :o :shock: :o

How big was that? It looks huge...

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

Titogoeshiking

Post by Titogoeshiking » September 22nd, 2012, 5:24 pm

It was about 1" long.
I went wood cutting at the Summit meadow area where a friend of mine lives and I am thinking that it was in the bark of some lodge pole pine. I was chopping the wood near my recycle bin where the evil critter was hiding. A friend thinks it is called a "wood scorpion". I sure hope I don't find any more of these freaky things.

hlee

Post by hlee » September 22nd, 2012, 5:39 pm

I would move to a different house if I were you. Can't be too careful...

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 22nd, 2012, 11:30 pm

There are three species in Oregon. I've never seen them but I've been told you can find them under rocks and logs along the Clackamas River.

Bummer, that you killed it. They are pretty interesting creatures and play a role in natures balance. They are also a sign of a healthy environment.
Last edited by Waffle Stomper on August 24th, 2019, 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Titogoeshiking

Post by Titogoeshiking » September 23rd, 2012, 10:28 am

Sorry about killing it but I just didn't want this thing in my yard :roll:. I am not brave enough to relocate the thing because it was just simply to evil, and fast. When I bumped the paper bag with the axe it started running and whipping its tail around. Then it was smash time.
The one I found on Gold butte I left alone to enjoy the healthy environment.

potato

Post by potato » September 23rd, 2012, 11:12 am

I haven't seen one in Oregon, but my wife and I saw one at Panther Creek Campground in SW Washington. I took some video of it which you can see starting at about 2:23 here: http://youtu.be/RrSL7vKQDDA and I should have some better pictures on my other computer. I think it was about 2 inches long.
Wikipedia wrote:Today, scorpions are found in virtually every terrestrial habitat, including high-elevation mountains, caves and intertidal zones, with the exception of boreal ecosystems, such as the tundra, high-altitude taiga and the permanently snow-clad tops of some mountains.
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

Guy

Post by Guy » September 23rd, 2012, 11:46 am

I haven't seen any but there are also reports of people seeing them up on Angels Rest.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Peder

Post by Peder » September 23rd, 2012, 5:36 pm

Guy wrote:I haven't seen any but there are also reports of people seeing them up on Angels Rest.
Yes - As I recall there have been several reports of people running into scorpions around Angels Rest on PH. Nighttime encounters seem far more likely - I would love to see one!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Lurch

Post by Lurch » September 24th, 2012, 7:08 am

I've seen a couple on Angels Rest, and a few up in the desert