2012-09-08 Mountain Goats on Mt Whittier

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Peder

2012-09-08 Mountain Goats on Mt Whittier

Post by Peder » September 9th, 2012, 7:23 pm

Warning: Though a Mt Whittier "trail no. 214" can be found on Monument maps and on the Green Trail Maps; parts of the old trail blasted out of the rock is long gone. This route should be considered as a scramble where mountaineering skills are a plus.

Craig, Jay ("Tagman") and I met at the Norway Pass Trail Head, as they live respectively north and west of Seattle. The early hike has enhanced by huckleberries, wildflowers and somewhat hazy views. The hunting season is now getting under way, so the elk were shy and we only saw two during the day. We heard them bugling frequently throughout the day (or perhaps the sounds were hunters trying to attract elk?!).
DSC09106.JPG
Spirit Lake from Bear Pass
DSC09123.JPG
Jay taking a picture - it was hard not to photograph!
DSC09135.JPG
Obscurity Lake
DSC09147.JPG
Panhandle Lake
DSC09174.JPG
Craig at work
Craig (Romano) is a guidebook author, so he kept busy logging every campsite, outhouse and signpost. While he was checking out the campsite at Shovel Lake (500' vertically below the trail - now that is dedication!); Jay and I heard rockfall and shouts on the Whittier ridge. We spotted a group of three carrying camping gear doing the traverse. They were seemingly not comfortable and had a tendency to lose the route. We later (almost) caught up with them; here they are (somewhat) on trail ahead of us. I assume that they had an unpleasant (=scary) day. :(
DSC09194a.jpg
The three hikers are circled. The "trail" zigzags up that face and no. 1 is on the "trail."
DSC09231.JPG
Jay just above the spot where the three hikers were in the previous picture.
DSC09234.JPG
On the ridge
DSC09235a.jpg
Mountain Goats
DSC09244b.jpg
Mountain Goats and the summit of Mt Whittier
DSC09256.JPG
Jay getting ready to shoot the summit group photo.
DSC09267.JPG
Jay on a part of the trail blasted out of the rock
DSC09268.JPG
Jay and Craig in action: It's not really a "trail"!
Around here (just before the next picture), we were hit by a squall of rain and hail. I had omitted to bring any waterproof gear :oops: and hid under an overhang while Craig and Jay donned rain jackets around the corner. The downpour stopped as they were ready to move on and I was the only one in group who was still dry! There was also ominous lighting and thunder, but this thankfully stayed far from us.
DSC09281.JPG
Jay after the rain
Last edited by Peder on September 11th, 2012, 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Peder

Re: 2012-09-08 Mountain Goats on Mt Whittier

Post by Peder » September 9th, 2012, 7:32 pm

DSC09287.JPG
Looking back at the ridge
DSC09288.JPG
View west along the Boundary Trail
DSC09297.JPG
On the way down
DSC09304.JPG
On the way down
DSC09315.JPG
This grouse refused to budge!
A great day out with two new friends!

I did manage to carry a bottle of Chateau de Tomroy around the loop. We never opened the bottle, as the prospect of continuing the hike after a glass of wine did not appeal to Craig and Jay on the summit (actually Craig was jokingly thinking more along the lines of a Valium!). Later in the day, it was too late... I will therefore consider this hike a "conditioning hike" (Mazamas style where they "condition" themselves by carrying gallons of superfluous water up Nesmith Point) and take it as good for me in preparation for doing the Whittier loop with Tom (Roy) himself next year!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Chase

Post by Chase » September 10th, 2012, 5:31 am

Great TR, Peder. We missed you on our Hood adventure and thought of you often, but is seems you had a fine time without us.
That whole area is a treasure and can't wait to explore it more in 2013.

Tagman

Post by Tagman » September 12th, 2012, 10:33 am

Peder, I only just now saw your report! I was looking in the regular trip reports section.

This outing was really fun. I have been very blessed and have had a great summer hiking and this was the cherry on top! Nothing but wide open views right from the start at the trailhead. I had hiked to Mt Margaret about three weeks before this hike so I kind of knew what to expect, but wow! The traverse is something else. I am very grateful for Peder showing the way and the opportunity to hike with him and Craig. We had a blast! Below are a few pictures from the trip.

Black Diamond

Old route

My turn...

Looking back

On the drive home near Randle

On the hike, I said I would probably never do the trip again but I find it funny that I have a craving to do it again. We'll see....

pablo

Post by pablo » September 12th, 2012, 2:27 pm

Peder, Jay,

One of my favorite hikes of all time and you guys have captured in this trip report a good portion of the splendor and excitement this route has to offer. A hiking trail with 'a mountaineering experience'. Spectacular photos.

Thx a heap,

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Craig Romano

Post by Craig Romano » September 13th, 2012, 9:24 am

Peder-great trip report! You and Jay have both taken some great photos and really captured the trip. It was great meeting you and hiking with you. This hike (and as you know I do plenty) was one of the highlights of my many miles on the trail! Other than the brief thunder -it was a perfect day! I earned Burgerville, a beer, and a good bed that evening!

mayhem

Post by mayhem » September 13th, 2012, 10:03 pm

Chase wrote:Great TR, Peder. We missed you on our Hood adventure and thought of you often, but is seems you had a fine time without us.
That whole area is a treasure and can't wait to explore it more in 2013.
Yes!!! What Chase said. The summit shot is Bammola!!
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Dustin DuBois

Post by Dustin DuBois » September 14th, 2012, 6:07 am

There are all kinds of really cool photos here! Some of them are incredibly colorful!

Great shot! Nice TR! Looked like a way cool hike.
Hi!

Guy

Post by Guy » September 14th, 2012, 11:49 am

Fantastic report & photos Peder.. It was a tough choice between this & the TT 360! This is now number one on my to do list. Hopefully you will be offering your guided tour again next year.

Cheers.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Peder

Post by Peder » September 14th, 2012, 8:38 pm

Guy wrote:Fantastic report & photos Peder.. It was a tough choice between this & the TT 360! This is now number one on my to do list. Hopefully you will be offering your guided tour again next year.

Cheers.
See you there next year! Hopefully, I can avoid doing another "conditioning" hike and get rid of the bottle's contents on the summit! :D

I'm still amazed that all of you made it around the TT360 in one piece. That would knock me out...