Hike Naked!! It turns your cheeks red!!

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
backcountryhunter

Hike Naked!! It turns your cheeks red!!

Post by backcountryhunter » February 9th, 2009, 8:54 am

GENEVA - Naked mountain hikers in the Swiss canton of Appenzell-Innerrhoden will in future face on the spot fines of 200 Swiss francs ($170), Swiss daily Tages-Anzeiger reported over the weekend.

rest of story.............. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29094739

anna in boots

Re: Hike Naked!! It turns your cheeks red!!

Post by anna in boots » February 9th, 2009, 9:44 am

I roamed the entire state of Colorado with a custom bumper sticker that proclaimed "Hike Naked." More prurience than philosophy. I did actually try it once; I can only say that "chafing" is not just a dish. Female hiker + backpack chest strap = unhappy camper. Also, it's simply not economical buying sunscreen by the crate.

tee hee

There is a sort of freedom to wandering your remote campsite in the all-together, though. In the bug-less, dry Rockies it was far more feasible than, say, Indian Heaven. I've stumbled upon many a sans-apparel hiker before. The trick is to keep eye contact and not to make any sudden moves....

anna in boots

PS: I did wear boots. I'm bizarre, not masochistic.
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » February 9th, 2009, 10:31 am

Uh... two words....
Devil's Club (Oplopanax horridum)

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » February 9th, 2009, 12:13 pm

One more word: Whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine!

Anna, where in Colorado did you find no mosquitoes? Or were you out after Labor Day?

I'm allergic to most sunscreens, so I have to cover up. With my age and figure (more lump than figure) nobody wants to see me sans clothes anyway!

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » February 9th, 2009, 12:32 pm

Grannyhiker,

I spent most of my time at or above treeline in Colorado but I've heard stories of being munched on by cooties even in the snowfields around the summits of 14ners. I was just never one of the munchees.

I recall choosing the heat of day (95+ degrees being one of the defining factors in my removing clothes) to test the nudity waters on the trail. It's so blasted hot and dry in July in the Rockies that nothing moves until dusk. If you keep going at a good clip, stay away from drainages, and keep the sun on you, you're almost guaranteed to be bug-free until dark. Then, it's every man--and bug--for himself.

As far as revealing one's shape, the faster you hike, the less they'll see! Ha ha!

anna in lots and lots of clothes
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

Arioto

Post by Arioto » February 10th, 2009, 10:56 pm

The thought of hiking nude just doesn't sit well with me. I'd probably run across a bunch of kids or something. haha :shock:

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » February 11th, 2009, 10:48 am

I am speechless. Maybe the naked truth about hiking in the northwest is just too much for me to bare.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Jane

Post by Jane » February 11th, 2009, 11:04 am

and for the extreme adventuresome :roll: , a book by local author ("Curious Gorge") Scott Cook:
http://www.pokinround.com/

Cattrapper

Post by Cattrapper » February 11th, 2009, 2:13 pm

Cool, I want that book!
"Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live." Tom McCall

Aridd

Post by Aridd » February 23rd, 2009, 2:49 pm

CubFan wrote:The thought of hiking nude just doesn't sit well with me. I'd probably run across a bunch of kids or something. haha :shock:
haha agreed.

That book is hilarious. i like the cover.

and i do have a t-shirt that says "hike naked" on the front and then "hang out in the mountains" on the back. it also says detroit oregon on it because thats where it was from