Mt Adams: August 2nd - 3rd 2012

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Tyc

Mt Adams: August 2nd - 3rd 2012

Post by Tyc » August 13th, 2012, 4:18 pm

A little over a month ago I set this date to take up a few newbie friends and a few of their newbie friends which have been wanting to summit Adams for awhile. With the forecast turning out perfect we all met up at 4:45 am in Battle Ground and heading out for Trout Lake to pick up our permits. Our group of 8 (4 newbies; Jason, Richard, Reece, and Brandon) hit the trail around 8:30 and conditions were perfect; a light breeze and a few clouds. The trail had snow starting at the around the mountain trail. Once we reached the Crescent Glacier a few of the newbies were a little iffy but the steps in the snow were well defined and they all made it up fine.

When we all arrived at Lunch Counter it was about 99% empty and only three camp sites were taken. We hiked up to the furthest to be closer the next day. After setting up camp we looked for a water source and there were none flowing in the Lunch Counter, but we found one east of the Lunch Counter that worked out well after we chipped away at it with our ice axes. It seemed like a clean source, but we will ended up filtering it just to be certain. After eating some dinner most people went to bed and I ended up being the last one up to watch the full moon. Around 12am I fell asleep and was back up at 4:45am getting everyone ready to head out for the summit.

After 2 hours of people getting ready and eating we finally were heading up except Ashley, my girlfriend, who was feeling sick decided not to head up and remained at camp. While heading up I noticed something different from most years heading up to Pikers Peak (False Summit) that people were going up on the far right, far left and no one really was taking the direct route up. With everyone being anywhere heading up there were no steps dug in yet making me a little worried for those who never had used crampons before, but in the end they all did well and followed my direct route up.

On top of Pikers the wind picked up and the light smell of sulfur we could smell on the way up become very strong. At this point we were broken into two groups based on our speed Lucas, Reece, and myself in the fast group; My Dad, Jason, Richard, and Brandon in the slower group. Once the slower group was in view from Pikers my group headed up. On summit we took a few pictures and then headed over to the east side to check out The Castle and the crevasses. While heading over the sulfur got so strong you could taste it as you breathed in through your mouth. This is when Reece in our faster group become nauseous and ended up getting a headache as well, so we sent him down to camp. About an hour later our slower group was a few hundred feet below the summit, but we noticed Jason was not with them. We went down to them and they let us know he felt sick and turned back below Pikers.

From here we went down below the summit in between Pikers and waited for everyone to come down before heading back to camp. At camp we got together and made sure everyone was feeling okay and decided to let Reece and Jason rest for an hour before packing up. After resting and packing up they seemed better, so we started to head down. We reached the trail head around 7pm and were all in White Salmon by 9pm for dinner at Everybody's Brewing. In the end 6 of 8 summited and everyone had a great time.

Interactive 360 Pano from the True summit
A few of the images didn't line up perfect.

Pictures

Heading Up

Mt Hood from below the Crescent Glacier

Ashley and My Dad heading up Crescent Glacier

Most of our group on the Crescent Glacier

Heading up the rocks

Our camp with St Helens in the background

Our camp we ended up with 4 tents.

Lucas filtering the water

Pikers from our camp

St Helens in the clouds

Flowers near camp

St Helens

Mt Hood

Shadows of us in camp

St Helens as the sun started to go down

Sun almost behind Mt Adams

Hood during the sunset

Full moon coming up

Mt Adams shadow in the morning with the full moon.

Hood during the sunrise

Looking down from Pikers

Summit from pikers

Rainier from the summit

The Pinnacle

Lucas and Reece coming up to the summit

Pikers from the summit

Hood

Top of the Mine

Myself on the summit

The Castle and the east face

The Castle and Little Mount Adams

A few of the crevasses on the east side

Ice sheet over running water 50 feet below the summit. I was able to refill my water here.

A huge dog which was 65% wolf that we ran into on the summit. My bag next to him is a 65 liter pack. He did not want to go down Pikers so he just laid down. His owner was already heading down and had to come back up and lead it down on a leash.

Heading down to the trail head

Coming down the Crescent Glacier
Last edited by Tyc on August 13th, 2012, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyc

Re: Mt Adams: August 2nd - 3rd 2012

Post by Tyc » August 13th, 2012, 4:25 pm

I still have not edited a hour of footage I took but here are a few time lapses I did put together.

Videos

Sunset

Full moon coming up

hlee

Post by hlee » August 13th, 2012, 4:46 pm

Very cool TR!! Some awesome photos, for sure!

I am surprised you're allowed to take dogs up. I thought I read that on MSH at least you could not (not surprising though, since you can't take dogs many places there).

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » August 13th, 2012, 8:11 pm

Breathtaking.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

bobcat

Post by bobcat » August 13th, 2012, 8:22 pm

Interesting that the sulfur smell was so strong. I once tried to explain to a group of people at the summit that they used to lead mule trains up there to mine the sulfur and nobody would believe me. I've never really gotten a good whiff of it myself (and I go up every few years) - maybe the wind is always blowing the wrong way.

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » August 15th, 2012, 1:52 pm

Really nice TR. Your description of the sulfur smell reminds me of a climb I took on Mt Baker. We stopped near a sulfurous steam vent coming up through the snow and, without thinking, I filled my water bottle by scooping some snow into it. The snow was infused with sulfur, and the flavor made the water undrinkable.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

Tyc

Post by Tyc » August 17th, 2012, 12:50 pm

Edited the first footage together.

Thanks everyone for the comments :)