Hamilton Mtn 23-Jan-09

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Hamilton Mtn 23-Jan-09

Post by VanMarmot » January 24th, 2009, 10:23 am

Friday I did a quick hike up Hamilton - up via the Hardy Ridge trail and down via the summit ridge and road system. Conditions were clear but cold, with moderate wind in a few places on the way up. There were some nice icicles at the Cave of the Winds.
Cave of the Winds.JPG
And nice views of Mt. Hood at several spots along the trail.
Mt Hood.JPG

The trail up was entirely free of snow until about 100' from the summit, which was also being hit by pretty brisk winds.
Hamilton summit.JPG
I had thought about hiking up Table but looking across from Hamiliton could see that the upper reaches of Table were enveloped in blowing clouds - better to be on Hamilton with a view.
The only significant snow on the hike was on the trail from the summit to the service road. I fould it to be all very hardpacked, with no post-holing - but there were a few slick spots.
Trail on summit ridge.JPG
I was the only car in the parking lot when I started, and there was only one more car there when I got back. Granted it was a Friday, and yes I don't mind having a lot of solitude, but I hope folks aren't passing on Hamilton (and Dog) just because it's "winter", as these two are pretty accessible (and good ways to stay in shape) almost all the time.

Splintercat

Re: Hamilton Mtn 23-Jan-09

Post by Splintercat » January 24th, 2009, 12:39 pm

Thanks for the report - nice Hood shot! Love the clouds along the river.

Tom :)

Idler

Re: Hamilton Mtn 23-Jan-09

Post by Idler » January 25th, 2009, 7:44 am

Hey, VanMarmot. Nice report: good to know the trail is free and the summit accessible.

I felt the pull of Hamilton yesterday but thought I might do better to walk up to Devil's Rest from Wahkeena for the elevation gain. Which I did, and will report on later.