Benson Snow Report?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
grmaculsay

Benson Snow Report?

Post by grmaculsay » April 20th, 2012, 4:42 pm

Heading up Ruckel on Sunday. Any recent snow information?

turtle

Re: Benson Snow Report?

Post by turtle » April 20th, 2012, 8:49 pm

As of 4-8 there was about 4+ feet by Ruckel Creek.
Summer breezes caressed me, my legs stepped forward as though possessed of their own appetite, and the mountains kept promising. Rebecca Solnit

rick6003

Post by rick6003 » April 21st, 2012, 8:58 am

I bet its ok by now. The report about Rock of Ages says just some on the upper part of trail.

If your going up the ridge its most likely clear until almost to the Plateau. Just a short trip across to Ruckel creek. If you never been there its actually fairly well marked with tree blazes. keep a sharp eye.

My favorite Gorge hike so far, guess everyone knows that by now. lol!

grmaculsay

Post by grmaculsay » April 21st, 2012, 9:37 am

My favorite too, and I've done almost all the gorge hikes. Did Ruckel three times in a week, I liked it so much! Thanks for the info folks!

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » April 21st, 2012, 5:57 pm

Just did Ruckel Ridge/ Creek today (4/21) and the conditions are GREAT!. Flowers out on the way up, no debris, good footing and the snow - well, it is only on the Benson itself and probably 12" to 18" deep on the crossing over from the top of Ruckel Ridge across the creek (good bridge of a couple of logs) and over to the Ruckel Creek Trail. Good footsteps all the way (we had a group of 10) Going down Ruckle Creek Trail, you have snow for the first maybe 200ft (at the most of elevation loss) and then great tread, limitied logs (most from last year) and the hanging meadows - while they don't have any flowers now - will certainly have some very soon with the sun hittin ghtem today and tomoroow. Allt he way down the trail is in great shape so no worries.

Get out and enjoy this strenuous hike!