Silver Star Loop 15-Apr-2012

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Silver Star Loop 15-Apr-2012

Post by VanMarmot » April 15th, 2012, 5:21 pm

Silver Star's South Ridge route is one of my favorites because it starts below the snow line (usually) and climbs quickly out of the trees and into some great views. When Silver Star is heavy with snow - as it is now - this route is a fun snow hike. On a bluebird day like the Saturday before last, it would have been great. Unfortunately, I'd just gotten back from a business trip back east and had acquired a bad case of airplane flu in the process. I thought I could power through it but I hit the wall at the 3000' level and had to bail. So, after a week convalescing at work (sick leave? ha!), I was ready to give the South Ridge another try. Last week, the snow had started at about 1800',

but had pretty much melted in a week, so that I didn't have to put on my snowshoes today until about 2800'.

Just above 3200', I came around the corner of the ridge and got a big view of Silver Star and Point 4050 (to the right) where the Indian pits reside. I headed up to the right past the pits.

Along the way, I had a good view of Three Corner Rock to the E.

From atop Point 4050, I could see Silver Star, St. Helens, and Rainier. Some high clouds had started to move in and my otherwise bluebird day was faltering.

I pushed on and, as I passed over "Star 2", the lower point on Silver Star's summit ridge, I looked back and saw two people following my route to the top. Given how popular this peak is in the summer, I'd expected to see a few folks on the top but I found myself alone. I had a nice view S toward Hood and Jefferson (dim white speck up and left of the cornice).

As I was finishing lunch, the two people I'd spotted earlier reached the summit and - surprise :shock: - they Don Nelsen and Guy! Last time I'd seen Don in person was when I was hauling trash down the Wyeth Trail. A third person soon joined us but that was it - four on the summit of Silver Star on an otherwise OK weather day. However, without snowshoes it would have been a real workout. As Don and Guy headed off on some epic, herculean adventure, I retraced their steps down to Grouse Vista and then followed the road back to my car, catching an interesting view of Hood along the way.

Decent weather, fun snow route, and a pleasant chat on the summit all combined to make this a short (9.75 mi, 2900' EG) but very rewarding hike.

Last edited by VanMarmot on May 27th, 2012, 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Roy

Re: Silver Star Loop 15-APR-2012

Post by Roy » April 15th, 2012, 5:49 pm

hows the snow up there is it post hole hell or staring to firm up? i am looking for hikes with some eg that is a favorite of mine.

nice tr as usual - Troy
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » April 15th, 2012, 5:54 pm

Very cool VM! Glad your back to hiking health from your airline sick time too :)

Almost time for me to buy a DP as well since they passed that recent leg. that allows
the danged thing to transfer between vehicles, then I will hit those DP areas more heavily!

Speaking of which, is the Trapper Creek area in DP land?

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » April 15th, 2012, 6:03 pm

Thanks for the update VM. It's good to know I can make it to the trailhead in my car. Might try it next weekend if the weather is nice.

Good hiking,
Brad
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » April 15th, 2012, 6:09 pm

8-) BTW, what was Don and Guy up too? Probably will be a TR soon but . . . :)

Guy

Post by Guy » April 15th, 2012, 6:12 pm

Good meeting you on the trail today Bruce.

Here is a photo of you making the History books! The first person to reach the Summit of Silver Star on the 100th anniversary of the Titanic sinking!

Don & I were fairly beat up by the time we got back to the car after the rest of our adventures! I'll report in a day or two..

hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

drm

Post by drm » April 15th, 2012, 6:34 pm

Eric Peterson wrote:Speaking of which, is the Trapper Creek area in DP land?
No - NW Forest Pass.

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » April 15th, 2012, 6:38 pm

Guy wrote:
Don & I were fairly beat up by the time we got back to the car after the rest of our adventures! I'll report in a day or two..
Can't wait to find out what you guys did!! Wondering if it was similar to the Silver Star area
loop we did back during the inversion weather of December... :)

@ DRM, cool thanks man!

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 15th, 2012, 7:26 pm

VanMarmot - good to see you again and I really enjoyed the conversation on top of Silver Star! Great report and pics, too. Quite the coincidence we ended up exactly in your tracks especially since we were basically off-trail at the time. We ended up with almost the same distance and EG for the day, too. Guy and I did about 9.6 and about 3,100' vertical for the day.

Guy's in charge of our TR for this one - he takes better pics, anyway and I have a brutal work week lined up. When he posts, I'll add a few pics.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » April 15th, 2012, 11:42 pm

Fun! Thanks for the report! I was wondering just how much snow was left up there (especially at the South side trailhead) I think I'll drag my 13-year-old up there this weekend!