Lower Metolius River March 23, 2012

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
retired jerry

Re: Lower Metolius River March 23, 2012

Post by retired jerry » March 31st, 2012, 7:19 am

Wenaha - 400 miles away

Metolius - 150 miles away

and the weather at Wenaha and Metolius looked about the same

I'll probably do Wenaha some time

Thanks for the info on it

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » March 31st, 2012, 8:04 pm

:) Nice TR Jerry. I just returned from over in that area yesterday. My son and I headed for the S. Oregon coast on Monday but stopped in Florence after the National Weather Service put up severe warnings for flooding and landslides from Reedsport to Brookings for this entire week. So we hit 126 E and drove along the McKensie River and the Blue River to Hoodoo. That area is totally gorgeous and there were hardly nobody around. Drove through Sisters and cut over to Redmond and just stayed at the Super 8 from Tues thru Fri. Would have loved to went camping but it was Spring Break and my teenage son wanted to swim in the inside pool. So we did a little fishing from the Deschutes (about a mile or so N. of Warm Springs) and ended up at Lake Billy Chinook.
IMG_3498.JPG
Did a little black and white photography.
IMG_3504.JPG
This was in the canyons near the Deschutes, North of that bridge on Hwy 26. The weather was kind of chilly but way better than the down pours at the coast.
IMG_3536.JPG
I'm not really much of an angler, so I snapped pictures as much as I could. But my son had a very enjoyable time.
IMG_3536.JPG
I really love this area. For a geology geek like me, I could spend a lot of time over here.
IMG_3548.JPG
Checked out some cool rock formations and roadside geology there too. Then Friday, we left Redmond and decided to take the scenic way back. Drove to Terrebonne, cut through the back roads to Madras and took Hwy 97 to Biggs, then took our time driving on I84W back to Portland.
Very fun in central Oregon. Can't wait to go back.

ForestKeeper

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 1st, 2012, 6:21 am

Yeah, the geology is very exposed there - no nasty trees covering it all up :)

Like I saw a place where there are layers of sedimentary material with intrusions of Basalt. Sort of interesting...

Tito goes hiking

Post by Tito goes hiking » April 5th, 2012, 11:47 am

I'm sure glad that mountain lion didn't eat you Jerry!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 5th, 2012, 2:56 pm

Same here :)

I think there are Mountain Lions all over, checking us out, and we never know about it.

When there's snow you can see their tracks easier.