2 Untimely CA Girls in Oregon (Eagle Creek to Tunnel Falls)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Epiphany

2 Untimely CA Girls in Oregon (Eagle Creek to Tunnel Falls)

Post by Epiphany » April 4th, 2012, 8:00 pm

April 2nd-3rd 2012

My hiking partner and I have been planning a backpacking trip in the Gorge after we were rejected for a Grand Canyon permit. We're from the Sierra Nevadas, which is usually where we go hiking or backpacking in the summer. Last year we attempted to hike in Sequoia National Park and ended up snowshoeing (quite a hilarious expedition). Because we didn't want the same experience this year, we decided to head up to Oregon and visit my grandparents in Florence, knocking out a trip to Portland and some backpacking in the process.

We came up on the 30th of March and it was pouring rain from Redding to Florence. We were planning on backpacking Deschutes 31st-2nd, but the weather forecast looked ugly. I was upset, as I had been looking forward to hiking this week for months, and not wanting to be wet and miserable for a handful of days I let my grandparents convince us to stay with them on the coast. Honestly, we were spoiled to death so it was far from awful. :) We did a couple of day hikes in Cape Perpetua in the rain and wind, which weren't too bad as we got to dry off in Florence with hot chocolate directly after. We continued to check the weather forecast for the Gorge, and since Monday was looking to be dry, we decided to head north for a one-nighter. I'm not sure when I'm going to be back to the Gorge, so we both wanted to see the acclaimed Eagle Creek before we left. We were not disappointed. It was an absolutely gorgeous day.

4 1/2 Mile Bridge

Tunnel Falls

From Tunnel Falls to our campsite was pretty terrifying if I'm to be honest. We lost the railing when the path was still incredibly slick and insanely high. Thinking that it was going to be raining the next morning, I was really nervous about coming back in weather that was anything less than beautiful. We had to also cross a waterfall around this area too, and I can't fathom attempting it without trekking poles. Even though we both had them it was still nerve wracking. I researched this trail and never heard anything about this danger, which seems odd to me.

Our clothesline tree!

I'm not positive if we made it to seven and a half mile camp... it didn't seem far enough after Tunnel Falls and there wasn't a marker, but it was a nice enough campsite and close to the most treacherous parts of the trail so we could get them done early in the morning and not have to worry about them later. We hauled butt back to the car the next morning and got back to the trail head the second it started to rain. Very fortunate!

At Edgefield relaxing with brews.
Last edited by Epiphany on April 4th, 2012, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don Nelsen

Re: 2 Untimely CA Girls in Oregon (Eagle Creek to Tunnel Fal

Post by Don Nelsen » April 4th, 2012, 8:11 pm

OMG, what a great report and excellent photos, too! You two really were fortunate with the weather - Monday was an amazing lull between storms and glad you hit it lucky. Welcome to the NW and don't be shy about posting TR's from the sierras, too.

Best regards,

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Epiphany

Post by Epiphany » April 4th, 2012, 8:28 pm

Thanks, Don! I'll do that! And yes, we were extremely lucky.

Peder

Post by Peder » April 4th, 2012, 8:45 pm

You were lucky (or smart) with the weather! I love the Tunnel Falls pictures and the beer picture. As Don said, trip reports from afar are welcome, as we all need a little motivation to leave our home turf. Thanks for a great trip report.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Nabor J

Post by Nabor J » April 4th, 2012, 10:52 pm

I usually avoid this trail due to the "guidebook syndrome" that plagues it, but since it's early in the year and weather looks o.k., I'm heading in to 7.5-mile camp with a group of friends this weekend....I'll reciprocate with photos and a trip report. I hiked through here in 2005 during my hike of the Pacific Crest Trail....lot's of PCT'ers bypass the PCT on the Benson Plateau and favor this section of trail for obvious reasons.....looking forward to seeing it again. Thanks for your trip report!

Jason
"Nabor J"

http://www.oviewfinder.com/

Tito goes hiking

Post by Tito goes hiking » April 5th, 2012, 11:44 am

Wow, great report and pictures! Im glad you both made it past that slippery cliff.
To the gal on the right....you are especially brave to drink Terminator! :o

windmtnpete

Post by windmtnpete » April 5th, 2012, 6:34 pm

Anyone who makes that journey to tunnel falls I have the deepest respect for, especially with an overnighter. You girls got balls.... and a go getter spunk. Congrats for the great experience !!!
“Not all who wander are lost.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

rick6003

Post by rick6003 » April 5th, 2012, 8:14 pm

Ladies, it looks like you had a awesome time.

I think the reason why there is no information is that the books says to Tunnel Falls is the usual turn around point. I always tell people I meet to continue on to Twister Falls as it is a great place for lunch above it.

Above Tunnel has no railings and I was up there on april first. It was very wet.

And I haven't been above here but I don't think 7 1/2 mile is quite that far. You may have been there.

Epiphany

Post by Epiphany » April 5th, 2012, 10:13 pm

Tito goes hiking wrote:
To the gal on the right....you are especially brave to drink Terminator! :o

Bwahaha... that was me. I was trying to find a good beer to bring home to the boyfriend. Usually I hate stouts but this one was surprisingly tasty! I ended up bringing him home the Hammerhead though... I liked that one a bit more.

Thanks to everyone for your responses!
And I haven't been above here but I don't think 7 1/2 mile is quite that far. You may have been there.
Hmmm... I'm researching and still not sure. If Tunnel is at six I don't think we hiked a whole other mile and a half. Our camp site was right above a waterfall (Twister maybe? But other pictures don't look like what I saw so I'm confused. I know for a fact we hiked at least part of the Vertigo Mile!) and didn't look to be as big as 7 1/2 was described... but it was nice and had a good water source so we were fine with it! :)
Last edited by Epiphany on April 5th, 2012, 10:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » April 5th, 2012, 10:22 pm

I'm a Terminator fan myself!